4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 21, 2010 4:09 PM by SugaStreet

12GB or 16GB?

SugaStreet

Im building a system that will have i7 950 and Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R.  I have an opportunity to buy CORSAIR XMS3 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM for $170 or G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 12GB (6 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) for $155.  I'm currenly using CS3 Production Premium and Lightroom 3.  I'm considering upgrading to CS5.  My confusion is around whether or not it's better to use all 6 banks in a 2 triple channel setup or 4 banks using 1 triple channel plus 4GB.  By the way, I'm using the i7 950 becasue I was able to get locally for $199. Originally i was getting the i5 750.  Please help and any other suggestions on memory would be helpful.

• 1. Re: 12GB or 16GB?
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

DDR3 memory works BEST (is designed for) in sets of 3

You should buy 3x4Gig for 12Gig total, and buy 3 more of the same memory sticks later if you decide you need 24Gig

• 2. Re: 12GB or 16GB?
            Jim_Simon Level 9

DDR3 memory works BEST (is designed for) in sets of 3

Careful here.  "DDR3" is more of a speed and voltage rating than a channel rating.  They can work just fine alone, in pairs or in threes.  Which to use will depend on your mobo and your budget.  There are plenty of boards that use DDR3 in dual channel mode.  (In fact, the new Sandy bridge CPUs from Intel due out shortly will all be dual-channel configs using DDR3.)

Having said that, I do believe the mobo in question here uses a triple channel config, so 12 or 24 would be the most appropriate amounts of RAM.

• 3. Re: 12GB or 16GB?
              Chuck A. McIntyre Level 3

Personally, I would go with 24GB.  The additional RAM makes a big performance difference.  I think 24GB is well worth the extra money.

• 4. Re: 12GB or 16GB?
                SugaStreet Level 1

Thanks for the help guys.  I decided to go ahead and spend the extra $85 to

have 24GB and use all 6 channels.

I should be able to work in AE and PPro at the same time with

out problem.