3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 2, 2007 12:05 PM by Greg Dove

FLV Playback - Browser Compatibility

alpedroza
      Just to get this out of the way, I'm an Actionscript newbie. So if my code is way off base, please advise.

I am one of the webmasters for RaceLegal.com. We just updated the whole web site and the client (RaceLegal) wanted to add video with commercial adverts. I developed a video player that randomly selects a commercial from a pool of commercials using ASP and then plays the user selected video. You can see the result (beta) on the web site itself.

Out of the 700+ views so far, I have received a couple reports of not being able to view the video. In one instance, the person can load the swf (the "please wait" text in the swf shows at the bottom), but the flv never plays. This person was using a Mac with Safari, but I do have two reports of IE on PCs not being able to view the video as well. I have tested on three of my computers using IE, Firefox and Safari, all windows versions, and the video plays fine. I've also tested from several IP addresses using a laptop. The people having trouble can pull up Youtube videos fine. The mac person also had the latest Flash player installed.

Is there something wrong with my code? Maybe some browser compatibility issue? Any help would be greatly appreciated. (I've changed some of the variable names, filenames and paths for obvious reasons but the idea is the same)

• 1. Re: FLV Playback - Browser Compatibility
          Greg Dove Level 4
          Using FLVPlayback implies at a minimum that its flash player 8 that is required. That might still leave some (a small percentage of) people unable to play it... they would need to upgrade their flash player. I just tried the site with flash player 7 in firefox and the video didn't play (but audio did!). But players 8 & 9 worked fine. YouTube works with flash player 7+ which would account for some of the discrepancies.
          I don't know so much about the potential issues with individual browsers (although I believe I have read somewhere of some issues with Safari - can't remember where - or whether the issues are relevant to video playback).
          • 2. Re: FLV Playback - Browser Compatibility
            alpedroza Level 1
            Thank you GWD. Are there any Actionscript errors with my approach?

Also, I was wondering if there was a way of checking if the first video (the commercial) is done buffering. As it is currently coded, the race video starts buffering in the background when the commercial starts playing. On slow connections, the commercial might play smoother if the second video starts buffering after the commercial is finished buffering. I'd like to have a listener for "endbuffering" for the first video, but I have not seen this type of listener event. What would be the correct way of doing this? Suspect are "buffering" or "progress"...

Thank you very much again for any help you can provide.

Al
            • 3. Re: FLV Playback - Browser Compatibility
              Greg Dove Level 4
              >>> Originally posted by: alpedroza
              >>>Thank you GWD.
              You're welcome.

>>>Are there any Actionscript errors with my approach?

None that I can see... it proabably makes sense to comment out the skin.swf line for local testing when you publish for live.

>>>Also, I was wondering if there was a way of checking if the first video (the commercial) is done buffering.

If the first video enters a playing state, then its is done buffering (for the first time anyway.... depending on connection speed it may enter a buffering state again).

>>>As it is currently coded, the race video starts buffering in the background when the commercial starts playing. On slow connections, the commercial might play smoother if the second video starts buffering after the commercial is finished buffering.

Buffering doesn't mean it has fully downloaded. It will continue to download after its started to play.

>>>I'd like to have a listener for "endbuffering" for the first video, but I have not seen this type of listener event. What would be the correct way of doing this? Suspect are "buffering" or "progress"...

I think the progress event might be what you need... I think that's how I'd approach it.
              Inside a progress event listener, I would check to see if the first one was fully downloaded (which presumably should be well ahead of its playhead time)
              (evtObj.target.bytesLoaded==evtObj.target.bytesTotal )
              and if this was true then I'd set the contentPath for the racevideo_FLVPlybk

On another note:
              I know its possible to have the same FLVPlayback instance load and control several FLVs (which are managed in different 'videoplayer' instances by the one FLVPlayback) in which case it is possible to avoid having two different FLVPlayback instances. I haven't done this myself , nor I have (sought for or ) found any examples of it. But it is also possible to do things that way. I'm not saying its better - don't really know, others may know more - just letting you know that its an option.