9 Replies Latest reply on Dec 23, 2010 12:31 PM by shooternz

Default Durations

Jim_Simon Level 8

I regularly switch between 30 fps projects and 24 fps projects.  I'm getting a little tired of having to go into Preferences and switch the default duration for video transitions from 30 to 24 (and stills from 150 to 120) every time I switch a project type.  It's way past due for this to be a Project setting, not a Global setting.

I just sent off a feature request.  I encourage others to do the same.

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

• 1. Re: Default Durations
          shooternz Level 6

Although not confronted with the NTSC type issue you deal with...I do have a Default set ( 30fr in  PAL) but always, always customise it to something else appropriate to the scenes involved.  eg 8 - 50 frames.

• 2. Re: Default Durations
            the_wine_snob Level 9

So you would like for the Sequence FPS adjust the default Transition and Still Durations?

While I do not switch FPS often, I find it easy to just Click-drag (I usually have my Info Panel open), when I need to make a change. I have a default still setting of 08 sec., as that is where most of my text titles come in. When I create a "Main Title," I want it to be 06 sec, instead of the 08, as there is less Text to read. A quick Click-drag gets me there. Same for Transitions. Regardless of the default, I often adjust mine to suit the mood. Especially with Dip-to-Black, I might extend those by several seconds, to fit the time/date change of the scenes. I also often add 02 sec. of Black Video, in between, when the change is longer.

Perhaps a separate Panel for still & Transition Durations, and have it open, or docked in a useful Pane?

With different FPS material, I guess that I can see the request.

Hunt

• 3. Re: Default Durations
              Butch2oc Level 1

I agree Jim, I've setup a shortcut so its not as painful... you can also access the dialogue box via the top right menu of the effects panel.

I have sent a few requests now... it would be good to have more functionality in the sequence setting as well. Like changing aspect ratio and fields etc

Cheers

• 4. Re: Default Durations
                shooternz Level 6

I am sending a Feature Request that automates my entire edit and sends and invoice out at the end.

Long live... the "craft of editing".

What will you do with the time you save?  It doesnt get added on at the end.

• 5. Re: Default Durations
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Craig,

Maybe you need to look into PrElements, with the Instant Movie function? Perhaps, one could write a script to then invoke QuickBooks for that invoice?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Default Durations
                    shooternz Level 6

They are going to teach me all that at The Vimeo School of Film Making

that they invited me to last week.

I told you about it.

• 7. Re: Default Durations
                      Jim_Simon Level 8
                      I find it easy to just Click-drag

That's a real pain in the *** when dealing with every transition in a project.  It's soooo much easier to set the default duration to the standard 1 second, and only change those that really need it.  The problem is that 1 second for 30 fps is 30 frames, and 1 second for 24 fps is 24 frames.  (For guys working with 720p, it would be 60 frames.)  So it has to be changed with every switch of project type.  At least with the audio we have the option to set it at "1 second", so no matter the frame rate you get the correct duration.

Same issue for stills.  The default 5 seconds is 150 frames for 30i, and 120 frames for 24p.

Seems pretty intuitive that you'd want those durations to correlate to the project your working on, rather than be set identically for EVERY project you work on.

• 8. Re: Default Durations
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Jim,

You make a good point. Perhaps implementation of a Duration tied to the FPS of the Sequence could be easily added. I think that it's time for a Feature Request. [I know that you know all about Feature Requests, and the link is just for others, should they visit this thread.]

Good luck, and though I seldom work with material other than 29.97 FPS, I do see your point.

Hunt

• 9. Re: Default Durations
                          shooternz Level 6

I do agree Jim and your logic is sound.

The default should be at Sequence level...not global.