8 Replies Latest reply on Dec 24, 2010 8:04 AM by Tym_Ribich

Need HELP selecting Sager Notebook

Tym_Ribich

Today I got the go ahead to purchase a notebook for video editing which is to be used at various, widely dispersed client sites. The budget is pretty much up to me but I would like to make sure the client (who will be paying for it) gets the best bang for their bucks. Primary use would be to record multi-camera, staged training sessions for final delivery in online presentations, DVDs, etc.

I had a Sager years ago which I really liked and given the favorable discussions & reviews here and elsewhere on the net I've decided to go that route.

Q1. The two notebooks I'm looking at are their NP7280 and NP8760 models. One of the differences between the two is that the NP7280 has a capacity for 3 HDs while the NP8760 can house 2 HDs. As we could use an eSATA enclosure with either, that wouldn't seem to be a significant factor. (?)

What I'm pretty clueless about however is the relative performance difference that could be expected between the two given the available CPU and Graphics Card options for each.

Q2. From the available options (below) is there any consensus as to how much difference with respect to performance there is between the various CPU options? Is the 980 worth an extra $815, or there a "sweet spot" somewhere there in the middle??

Q3. From what I've seen posted here, the Nvidia Dual 470 w/ SLI is a non-starter-- no appreciable benefit relative to cost?

Q4 Finally, I tend to think that the performance difference between RAM available for each (8 GB fo the 8760 and 12 GB for the 7280) would be a faily significant factor?

Aplogies for the long/rambling post, but we need to get this order in by year's end and any informed insights/comments would be greatly appreciated!

NP7280

http://www.sagernotebook.com/index.php?page=product_info&model_name=NP7280-S1

Video & Graphics Card
      Dual Nvidia GeForce GTX 470M GPU with 1.5GB GDDR5 Video Memory in SLI Mode [+$495.00]

CPU Processor

Intel® Core™ i7-950 Processor ( 8MB L3 Cache, 3.06GHz, 4.8GT/sec QPI ) 
      Intel® Core™ i7-960 Processor ( 8MB L3 Cache, 3.20GHz, 4.8GT/sec QPI ) [+$350.00] 
      Intel® Core™ i7-970 Processor ( 12MB L3 Cache, 3.20GHz, 4.8GT/sec QPI, 6 Cores ) [+$660.00] 
      Intel® Core™ i7-980X Processor Extreme Edition ( 12MB L3 Cache, 3.33GHz, 6.4GT/sec QPI, 6 Cores ) [+$815.00]

NP8760-S1

http://www.sagernotebook.com/index.php?page=product_customed&model_name=NP8760-S1

CPU Processor
      Intel Core i7-840QM Mobile Processor

• 1. Re: Need HELP selecting Sager Notebook
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I can't say too much about a laptop 'cause I don't use one, but some general comments

For my desktop I use 3 drives, but you should be able to use 2 (and eSata if needed)

My 3 hard drives are configured as...
          1 - 320G WD Win7 and all programs
          2 - 320G WD Win7 swap file and PPro projects
          3 - 1T WD all video files... read and write

The i7-950 is the minimum... not at all the i7-840QM (of course, the mobile uses less power, so plan on having an extension cord... but, again, I don't use a laptop so don't know how long a battery will last)

SLI is not used by CS5, so dual video cards is a waste of money

You absolutely want all the ram you can get

So... NP7280 with i7-950 and 2 hard drives and one 470 card and 12Gig would be what **I** would buy

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Need HELP selecting Sager Notebook
            Scott Chichelli Level 3

the 2 processors types (desktop and mobile) are worlds apart.

ideally the 950,970 or 980 are the best choices.

get the 470 not the 480.

Scott

ADK

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Need HELP selecting Sager Notebook
              Harm Millaard Level 7

The 950 and the 470 will give you the best Bang-for-the-Buck.

• 4. Re: Need HELP selecting Sager Notebook
                Tym_Ribich Level 1

Appreciate the input Scott,

Another question I had was about the fact that the 7280 has one DVI port. The notebook I'm using now (Dell Precision) has one DVI and one VGA port and I'm able to connect two external monitors. Would the HDMI port on the 7280 serve the same purpose-- allow me to use that and the DVI connected to two monitors?

I also need to be able to connect the notebook to a projector. The projector I'm using now only has VGA type ports. Is there a way to convert either video port to VGA?

Tim

function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}

JCschild wrote:

the 2 processors types (desktop and mobile) are worlds apart.

ideally the 950,970 or 980 are the best choices.

get the 470 not the 480.

Scott

ADK

• 5. Re: Need HELP selecting Sager Notebook
                  Tym_Ribich Level 1

Hi Harm,

Thanks for the input. As there's a significant price increase as one moves up from the 950 to the 960, 970, and 980 I'm trying to get a handle on how the increasing price relates to performance. From your "bang for the buck" advice I gather that there's an improvement as one moves up, but not necessarily an eye-popping type of improvement? I guess I'd be willing to even go for the 980 if it was clear to me that there would be a significant advantage, even if the price point is a bit out of whack.

Tim

Harm Millaard wrote:

The 950 and the 470 will give you the best Bang-for-the-Buck.

• 6. Re: Need HELP selecting Sager Notebook
                    John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Go to the Premiere Pro CS5 Benchmark http://ppbm5.com/ and read results

• 7. Re: Need HELP selecting Sager Notebook
                      Harm Millaard Level 7

Yesterday I posted an update to the PPBM5 Latest News

As you can see from the BFTB chart, my own system comes out on top in the chart with a score of 10.0. Of course in pure speed I lose from the 980X systems with more cores, higher clock speed and more memory, but BFTB-wise, my system, despite being almost two years old, still performs nicely.

For your Sager, you would be well off with a i7-950 and a GTX-460. Anything more would deliver slightly more performance, but at a hefty price. If you are diligent in tuning your Sager, you will get equal or better results than an untuned 960 & 480 combo.

• 8. Re: Need HELP selecting Sager Notebook
                        Tym_Ribich Level 1

Harm,

I've been following yours and Bill's benchmark site for some time now. Very interesting to see how different systems perform.

It's also clear that as you point out: >>We simply do not have complete listings of all components in each system<< that the rating of two systems with the exact same hardware can vary significantly depending on how each is tuned. I see this all the time where, for example, someone pays a premium for a system from one of the major vendor only to have it so loaded down with bloatware that their efficiency is reduced significantly. Beyond that their settings for HD utilization, virtual memory, indexing etc. etc. add another layer to gum up the works even more.

I've learned a lot from postings here about many of the options but feel I still have a lot more to learn.

Thank you much.

Harm Millaard wrote:

Yesterday I posted an update to the PPBM5 Latest News

Anything more would deliver slightly more performance, but at a hefty price. If you are diligent in tuning your Sager, you will get equal or better results than an untuned 960 & 480 combo.