3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 23, 2010 11:23 AM by the_wine_snob

so what happened to 640x480?

Keith_Clark Level 2

i've been doing alot of standard def editing as of late, and was just wondering (basically for the sake of my own knowledge) why does nothing read the ol' standard "640 x 480"? ws standard def is 720 x 480, so why is adobe reading all these tapes as "720 x 480" when they are not WS format? i mean... everything has worked out fine... so i don't necesarily "need help," but just wondering who's idea was it to basically do away with calling FS 640 x 480? and when did that happen? and why do we consider both formats 720 x 480 now? wouldnt it get confusing at times? inquiring minds wanna know. i tried to do a google, but didnt find anything exactly what i was wondering :-/ needle in a hay-stack

• 1. Re: so what happened to 640x480?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

The WS (16:9) 720 x 480 uses non-square pixels at 1.212 PAR, while the 720 x 480 Standard (4:3) uses non-square pixels at 0.9 PAR. The 640 x 480 would use square pixels at 1:1 PAR.

If you need square pixel 640 x 480, you can set that up in the Desktop Preset, and just adjust the parameters to match that.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: so what happened to 640x480?
            Keith_Clark Level 2

the_wine_snob wrote:

If you need square pixel 640 x 480, you can set that up in the Desktop Preset, and just adjust the parameters to match that.

Good luck,

Hunt

i just shrugged my shoulders and accepted "the new standard" (i do that alot with editing, but everything usually seems to work out) and didnt think anything of it. but i guess that does explain why i've always read and seen "640 x 480" in reference to online video and such. just one those "why the heck?" moments today.

• 3. Re: so what happened to 640x480?
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Usually, when one sees 640 x 480, the AV file uses square pixels, but there is no guarantee of such.

I always use the great, free utility, G-SPOT to check the full properties on any AV file, that I did not create. It will tell you almost everything that you will need, or want to know. If one is on a Mac, then MediaInfo, another free utility, is ported for the Mac, while G-Spot is only for the PC.

Good luck,

Hunt