6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 24, 2010 4:24 AM by Jay Knobbe

Hardware for Photoshop Elements/Premiere Elements 9

hdtran

I'm buying a PC for my 9th grade child, who will be making short movies (5-10 minutes) and burning to DVD for school projects.  I will be purchasing the Photoshop Elements/Premiere Elements 9 bundle.  The PC will also be used for writing papers, reports, etc., but I suspect that the PSE9/PE9 will be the software that drives the PC to its knees.  We'd be using a DV camcorder with a 1394 cable for video capture, or a HD camcorder with SD cards.

The household is a PC/Windows sort of household.  I can get a discount buying HP stuff, and the budget is somewhat limited.  I'd appreciate comments on my thoughts/options below, especially for the video cards (I assume that those will affect performance the most?)

All the HP configurations within my budget include:

• 1600x900 monitor (I'm thinking of upgrading to 1920x1020)
      • DVD multiburner (I'm not upgrading to Blu-Ray)
      • Windows 7 Home
      • Intel i5-650 dual core (possible upgrade to i7-750 quad core)
      • 6GB RAM
      • Video card choices: 1GB nvidia Geforce 315, or 1GB ATI Radeon HD5450 (lower end slimline HP box)
        • 2GB nvidia Geforce GT420, or 2GB ATI Radeon HD5570 (higher end HP minitower)
      • 1 hard disk only (3GB/s 750 GB or 1 TB drive)

I was testing the trial version of Premiere Elements 9 on my laptop at home, which runs Vista-32, 3GB RAM, and has nvidia 9600m GT graphics.  I found that the performance was acceptable (although I didn't exercise the software very hard), until burning to DVD, at which point I went to have dinner while the laptop was burning the project (and didn't finish burning until after dinner & dessert!).

I appreciate the advice!

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Hardware for Photoshop Elements/Premiere Elements 9
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Do yourself and your kid a favour:

1. At least get a quad core.

2. At least get a 1+ GB nVidia video card, so you can use MPE when you upgrade to CS5.

3. Get at least 1 or 2 additional 7200 RPM disks. Samsung 320 GB F4 for OS/programs and 1 or 2 F3's for instance.

4. Consider upping the memory to 12 GB.

5. Consider Win7-64 Pro instead of Home.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Hardware for Photoshop Elements/Premiere Elements 9
            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Back on the hardware page where you started this, "look up" to Hardware Guidance -- Look here first, it's the best way to start 

Click and read all of the articles

You really MUST have a minimum of TWO hard drives for video editing

Read Harm on drive setup http://forums.adobe.com/thread/662972?tstart=0
            - click the embedded picture in Harm's message to enlarge to reading size
            - you need AT LEAST 2 drives for video editing, 3 is better
            - some HD formats work better with (require) RAID

NEVER, EVER use Partitions!!!

Read Hunt on Partitions http://forums.adobe.com/thread/650708?tstart=0

A link with many ideas about computer setup http://forums.adobe.com/thread/436215?tstart=0

Since Elements is 32bit there is no advantage to having more than 6 Gig of ram

Since Elements does NOT do hardware video acceleration using the video card, the less expensive ATI card is OK

Since Elements does NOT use dual video cards for anything, you only need one ATI card

For HD video you absolutely need the i7-750 quad core

More on Trying to use only ONE Hard Drive for Video Editing
            You are a music conductor, with a baton that you use to point to various parts of the orchestra... this is like Windows pointing to various parts of the hard drive to do Windows housekeeping or to load program segments for various functions
            Now, at the same time and with the same hand... while still using the baton to conduct the orchestra... pick up a bow and play a fiddle... this would be doing something with your video file at the same time as all the other work
            You as a person cannot do both at the same time with the same hand
            A computer is a LITTLE better, in that it can switch from one kind of task to another very quickly... but not quickly enough for easy video editing
            One hard drive is not as good as two which is not as good as three

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Hardware for Photoshop Elements/Premiere Elements 9
              hdtran Level 1

Thanks for the input.

I do have an external SATA drive, and my home network runs backups automatically, so I'm not concerned about backups at this point.  If any of the prebuilt hardware configurations offer an eSATA port, that will be a preference for me, and I will connect the eSATA drive as a second drive.

Very interesting comments regarding the choice of video cards!

• 4. Re: Hardware for Photoshop Elements/Premiere Elements 9
                gtacyclist Level 1

Get an nVidia powered card like the GTX460 or GTS450 in case you/your son "outgrows" Elements and decides to use a better tool (CS5). Having used both I can say Premier Pro CS5 is more stable and faster. There are student editions of Adobe software.

• 5. Re: Hardware for Photoshop Elements/Premiere Elements 9
                  John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>student editions of Adobe software

Absolutely!!! - at about 80% off MSRP

• 6. Re: Hardware for Photoshop Elements/Premiere Elements 9
                    Jay Knobbe Level 1

Don't know if this is within your budget but you could get a turn key system set up & tuned for exactly what your son wants to do. That way he can spend his time actually shooting and editing and not futzing with a computer.

Look here

http://www.adkvideoediting.com/choose.asp