11 Replies Latest reply on Jan 16, 2015 10:17 PM by A.T. Romano

.prel to .avi

nicokiva

I need to change the format from the Premiere files (prel) to avi, does anyone know how I can do it?

It's very important because none of the programs I downloaded accept the extension .prel.

Thank you.

• 1. Re: .prel to .avi
          Paul787 Level 3

.prel is not a video file but is the set of instructions as to what actions are to be done to your original video files. Every time you start a new Premiere Elements project, a .prel file is created. It only has the instructions for transitions, titles, cuts, fades, etc. but does not contain your video files.

Where did you place your original .avi files? Premiere Elements does not alter your original files in any way so your .avis should be where you originally placed them on your computer.

• 2. Re: .prel to .avi
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

Paul has gotten you the answer that you need, but for a bit more background on Project files (PREL's w/ PrE), this ARTICLE might be helpful.

The resultant AV files will be created, when you Export/Share to your chosen format/CODEC.

Good luck, and happy editing,

Hunt

• 3. Re: .prel to .avi
              nicokiva Level 1

So do you both say that when I create a new project I'm creating a .prel and a .avi file? The problem is that I've not found the .avi file in the same folder.

• 4. Re: .prel to .avi
                the_wine_snob Level 9

When you create a New Project, you are creating the PREL. As you Import Assets, apply Transitions, Titles, Effects, and cut your Clips, you are writing instructions to the PREL.

Your Assets are linked to the PREL, when you Import them into the Project. They are not moved, and are not touched, as you edit. That editing is just some XML instructions, telling PrE what you will want to do, when you go to Export/Share. Then, PrE goes back to those Assets, looks at the PREL to see what data is needed, and how to process it. The program will then create an AV file, based on the data read from the Asset files, per the instructions in the PREL. THAT is when you get your AVI, or MPEG, or WMV, etc. Still, the original Asset files are not touched, other than some of the data being read FROM them to create you Exported/Shared AV file.

Hope that helps,

Hunt

• 5. Re: .prel to .avi
                  stephyd

So, I get now that the .prel is just the instructions and the video is a separate file. So, how do you upload an edited video to a site of your choice then if the instructions are separate from the video?

• 6. Re: .prel to .avi
                    John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The Elements Tutorial Links Page http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1275830 may help... read the sharing links to learn how to share (export) your finished project to a new video file

• 7. Re: .prel to .avi
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

stephyd

What version of Premiere Elements do you have and on what computer operating system is it running?

When you open Premiere Elements you can select Video/New project. That generates a "project file". This project file has a file extension of .prel.

In that project represented by the project file you import your video, edit it, and then export to file or burn it to disc.

Depending on the version of Premiere Elements that you have you can import your source video, edit it, and then upload it from within the project

to Facebook, Vimeo, or YouTube. If that does not work for some reason, then you export your edited Timeline in the project to a file (such as H.264.mp4)

saved to your computer hard drive. From the hard drive you would then upload your video file to your web site at the web site that you have in mind.

It is good to do your homework on the requirements of the web site involved, especially if other than Facebook, Vimeo, or YouTube.

If you can include some details for what you have and your requirements, we can furnish how to and help you fine tune the process to try for the best results.

We will be watching for your progress.

ATR

• 8. Re: .prel to .avi
                        stephyd Level 1

I am using Premiere Elements 13 and Windows 8.1  I believe I went about creating the edited video a different way....maybe that's my problem? I imported all of my files from an SD card and then clicked on one, went to Edit, scrolled down to Edit in Premiere..... and then started all of my editing. Now the video file and the project file are completed separated from each other except when I open the project in Adobe.

I tried to export my edited Timeline and I can't do that either. When I am in Expert mode I can drop down the file menu and Export is there, but is greyed out.

• 9. Re: .prel to .avi
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

stephyd

Thanks for the details. Very helpful. I suspect that you may be used to working with Premiere Elements 7 where there was a File Menu/Export/Movie that was available for use besides the classical Share section.

In Premiere Elements 13 there is only the Publish+Share/ for your exports to file or burn to disc. The File Menu/Export in Premiere Elements 13 is only for Title saving which you enable by selecting the title first in Project Assets.

How do you want to export your edited Timeline - to a dv.avi file, to a H.264.mov file, to a MPEG2.mpg file, or other? When ready for that type of export to file, you will go to

Publish+Share

Computer

AVI or QuickTime or MPEG or others.

Then you need to select a preset under the category that you select.

And be aware...when you get to that Publish+Share/Computer/ you will need to scroll down to list to see some choices hidden from you. Use the thin scroll bar to the right of the choices for the scrolling.

For best results, we should have details on the properties of what you put on the Timeline and select corresponding export settings.

But, first let us make sure that you are clear on the overall opportunities that are available to you in the program. Then we can zero in on the details for better.

Thanks.

ATR

• 10. Re: .prel to .avi
                            stephyd Level 1

OK I think that may clear up my issue - I need to publish to my computer, pick the type of file I want to make it, and then I can upload it from the file I created on my computer to wherever I want. I unfortunately have ZERO experience with these programs so this is my first go around. Because no instructions are really provided, I am just learning as I go and that part was not clear to me. I will attempt this tomorrow and see if I am able to complete the task effectively. Thank you for this information. I will let you know how it goes or if I have any further trouble.

• 11. Re: .prel to .avi
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

stephyd

When you first get into video editing it can be overwhelming if you have never been there and done that. My first reaction to video editing many years ago was "What have you gotten yourself into."

You will do fine.

Best wishes.

ATR

Add On...I will be watching for your replies in your other thread also.