3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 30, 2010 3:21 AM by Willam van Weelden

    Problem with a numbered list

    rjiwungkul

      I recently upgraded to RoboHelp 8 and I opened my old project to update an HTML online help. Whenever I generated the online help and I clicked to view the result on the PC with RoboHelp 8, everything looked fine. Then, I copied all generated files to a server to be part of a web application. Today, I found out that when I viewed the online help on the server using the same PC with RoboHelp 8, all numbers of numbered lists displayed against the left side of the main body of the help are not displayed correctly. Part of each number got chopped off. Again, if I go to the !SSL! folder and display the online help that I generated, it looks fine. I also found out that when I used another PC to view the same online help file from the server, all the numbered lists looked fine. The PC with RoboHelp 8 runs with Windows 7 Enterprise 64 bit and the PC that I could see the numbered lists correctly runs with Windows 7 Professional 64bit. I don't understand why the two PCs do not display the same online help the same way. I asked someone to use his PC running Windows XP with IE7 and the numbered lists were not displayed correctly.

       

      I read some discussions and there were a suggestion to use the "Convert RoboHelp Edited Topics to HTML" option to correct some problems with RoboHelp 8, so I tried it and it seemed to help. When using the option, I could see the numbered lists correctly. I am still wondering why two PCs did not display the same online help the same way. I am trying to see if there is an option with IE that can be used to solve this problem instead of deploying a new version of the online help. Does anyone know what the "Convert RoboHelp Edited Topics to HTML" option actually does. Will I be introducing more problems using this option?

       


      RJ

        • 1. Re: Problem with a numbered list
          Peter Grainge Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)

          Different browser versions and so on could all impact but most likely, your lists need some work following the upgrade. See Using RoboHelp 8 on my site where there is information about the impact on lists.

           

          The Convert option means your output is in HTML rather than XHTML so the browser will render the page in a different way.

           


          See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

           

          @petergrainge

          • 2. Re: Problem with a numbered list
            rjiwungkul Level 1

            Thank you very much for replying. The convert option seems to fix the problem and I will probably redo my lists later because I did not seem to be able to make any changes to them.

             

            I am still puzzled why one PC running the 64 bit Windows 7 Pro is able to display all numbered lists correctly and the other PC running the 64 bit Windows 7 Enterprise using the same version of Internet Explorer is not able to display any numbered lists correctly. I looked around with all the options for Internet Explorer and they are the same. I also noticed that when I used Google Chrome and FireFox, the numbered lists are displayed fine. I also noticed that if all the online help files are saved locally on the PC that is not able to displayed the numbered lists correctly, when I display the online help, the numbered lists look fine. It does not work when displaying the online help from a server. If you know an option that might make the online help to work properly with Internet Explorer without deploying a new version, please let me know.

             

            Thanks,

             

            RJ

            • 3. Re: Problem with a numbered list
              Willam van Weelden Adobe Community Professional & MVP

              Hi,

               

              Perhaps you need to delete IE's cache and history.

               

              Greet,

               

              Willam