7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 23, 2010 3:28 PM by John T Smith

Can't burn a DVD without Administrator Rights

QGCMH

Hi,

We don't allow our users to run with administrator rights on our domain.  If we take away the admin rights, they can't burn a DVD, but if I do a RunAs Administrator on Premiere Elements, they can.  How can I run P.E. without admin rights so they can burn a DVD?  We are running Windows XP SP3, 32bit mode.  Thanks.

• 1. Re: Can't burn a DVD without Administrator Rights
          the_wine_snob Level 9

This question comes up fairly often, and usually regarding academic computer lab situations. For direct burning without Administrator Rights, you will need to contact Adobe Customer Support (contact at the top of the forum page).

An alternative would be to Burn to Folder (think that this will work without the full Administrator Rights, but check me out), and then to use a great, free burning utility, like ImgBurn, to do the physical burn.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Can't burn a DVD without Administrator Rights
            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>if I do a RunAs Administrator on Premiere Elements, they can

So... is there some problem with right clicking the icon and selecting "Run as Administrator" ?

• 3. Re: Can't burn a DVD without Administrator Rights
              QGCMH Level 1

Thanks John,

but Windows XP doesn't have the "Run As Administrator" option.

Quintin Ginther

City of Medicine Hat

Technical Analyst III

403-529-8211

>>> John T Smith <forums@adobe.com> 12/23/2010 3:18 PM >>>

>if I do a RunAs Administrator on Premiere Elements, they can

So... is there some problem with right clicking the icon and selecting "Run as Administrator" ?

• 4. Re: Can't burn a DVD without Administrator Rights
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Well, it's not the exact same syntax, but in XP-Pro SP3, one can choose Run As, and then Administrator from the dropdown:

XP_Run_As_Administrator.png

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Can't burn a DVD without Administrator Rights
                  QGCMH Level 1

Thanks Bill, but I can't do that because we don't allow users on our network to have Admin rights.  If I give them the password to do the Run As, that would be a security violation against our in-house policies.

Quintin Ginther

City of Medicine Hat

Technical Analyst III

403-529-8211

>>> Bill Hunt <forums@adobe.com> 12/23/2010 3:39 PM >>>

Well, it's not the exact same syntax, but in XP-Pro SP3, one can choose Run As, and then Administrator from the dropdown:

http://forums.adobe.com/servlet/JiveServlet/showImage/52006/XP_Run_As_Administrator.png

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Can't burn a DVD without Administrator Rights
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Then it will probably take a call to Adobe Customer Service.

Often, academia has issues, as neither PrE, nor PrPro, are designed to work in a fully networked environment. Though I do not work in academia, I have filed Feature Requests, since PrPro 2.0, and so far, those have not yielded anything useful for those environments. This has been one area where FCP has beaten Adobe. The networked environment reaches beyond the school labs, to corporations and to TV stations suites.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Can't burn a DVD without Administrator Rights
                      John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Aside from Hunt's idea of writing the output to a folder and using the free Imgburn to write to a disc (have you tried that?) you have just run up against one of the design limitations of all flavors of Premiere... Elements and the various versions of Premiere Pro

The products are simply not DESIGNED to run in a network environment... they are meant to be used by one user on one computer, with full rights to be able to use all functions

I don't know what to suggest, but you may need to find a different product, if Hunt's suggestion does not work for you

Do note that I do NOT work for Adobe... but I've been reading these forums for many years, and the answers I've seen have all been the same... the products just are not designed to, and do not work in a network environment

Even using PPro/Encore CS5, due to Win7 settings, whereI am the owner and only user of the software, I must right click the Encore icon and select Run as Administrator when I want to create a dual layer DVD... but not when I'm creating a single layer DVD

For your situation... I've never seen a solution other than full Administrator rights to use all program functions