1 2 Previous Next 50 Replies Latest reply on Aug 17, 2011 7:22 AM by A.T. Romano

Chapter Overflow

ksteubin@hotmail.com

Has anyone encountered the 'chapter overflow' error when attempting to burn a project to disk (Blu Ray, in my case).  It goes through several hours of encoding and compiling each menu...then when it begins the actual burn to disk I receive this error.  I have an Intel i920, 6GB RAM, twin ATI 5850 video cards, LG Plextor GGW-H20L Blu Ray burner....and the external drive where it is pulling the .mts and .jpeg files has over 1 TB of free space on it.

I cannot seem to find this error anywhere using Adobe kb pages, Google, etc.  Thank you in advance....

Kole

• 1. Re: Chapter Overflow
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Kole,

Welcome to the forum.

I am not familiar with that error. You mention JPEG files. What are the pixel x pixel dimensions of those?

With HD going to BD, the file size should not be much larger than 1920 x 1080.

Also, what is the connection type of the external HDD?

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Chapter Overflow
            ksteubin@hotmail.com Level 1

Thanks for the reply, Hunt.  Yes, the .jpeg files are larger than that...4000 x 3000.  I guess the first test would be to remove the 'slideshow' portion of the project and just leave the video files to see if that works.  I know that 1000 x 750 is 'recommended'...and that 4000 x 3000 is highly discouraged....but I always assumed that the error would occur during the encoding or compiling portion...not right before the actual burn.  I used Photoshop to do a 'Process Multiple Files' to resize them to that size, but then when I viewed my actual slideshow they all showed up as thumbnails...so I wasn't sure how else to get them to a normal viewable size at 1000 x 750.  As you can probably tell, I'm a newbie with Elements 9 (both Photoshop and Premiere).

Anyways, what I'm going to try first is to replace the disk...from a BD-RE to a new BD-R...maybe that will work.  Otherwise, I'll go to Plan B and try to figure out how to make my slideshow look right with the 1000 x 750 pixel size.

BTW...connection to the external drive is USB 2.0.

Appreciate your help though!

Kole

• 3. Re: Chapter Overflow
              the_wine_snob Level 9

As far as the Scaling of the stills, outside of PrE, you will get both better quality (from PS/PSE), and also reduce the overhead for both the program and the computer. This ARTICLE will give you some background and also tips on how to do automated Scaling.

Since I am totally unaware of that particular error message, I am just guessing here.

Good luck, and happy holidays,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Chapter Overflow
                ksteubin@hotmail.com Level 1

Very helpful!  Thank you Hunt....Happy Holidays to you.

Kole

• 5. Re: Chapter Overflow
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Kole,

You are most welcome, and hope that helps.

Happy Holidays, and happy editing,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Chapter Overflow
                    ZeroMatrix7477

Hello,

I'm receiving this same error now but I do not have any images in my video.  I just imported the video clips, added a title at the beginning of two sections and am burning the project to a Blu-Ray BDR.  The project previously failed because the name of the disc had a space in it.  Now the "chapter overflow" seems to imply that there are too many chapters in my project?  I didn't add any.  I believe that the program has already attempted to burn to the disc which means that it has failed.  Can't these types of errors be tested for as soon as I start the project instead of letting it screw up an expensive disc and wasting 8+ hours of conversion time?

Does anyone have any other suggestions of what caused this error?

Thanks.

• 7. Re: Chapter Overflow
                      jfmartin3577

I would think that Adobe, premiere elements 9 tech support would have an answer to this "Bug"

I have done my blue ray burning flawlessly with cyber link software products

• 8. Re: Chapter Overflow
                        Ted Smith Level 3

I think you will find 1000 x 750 is meant for lower definition HD or DVDs and will reduce your stills quality somewhat.

I find the best stills resolution should be the same as the BD video you are producing. For full HD this is 1900x1080 but if your HD video is only 720 then about 1280x720 is OK.

If you only have a 1366x768 HD TV set then there is no point making the stills any larger than this except that you might someday buy a real HD TV.

• 9. Re: Chapter Overflow
                          jfmartin3577 Level 1

Ted, Thanks for responding.

I have a new 50 inch hd Samsung Plasma TV.

Basically with the adobe premiere elements 9; I captured a video clip using a Sony hdr-fx1 digital camcorder.

Now I can go to share from adobe premiere elements 9 and create a dvd no sweat.

If I share and create a blue ray disk with the same clip it functions up to the point where it

states that it is burning the blue ray disk and it immediately stops and states Chapter overflow.

I don't seem to have any trouble burning a blue ray disk from the same clip with cyberlink software.

I would think that the burning of blue ray disks would be relatively straight forward out of adobe premiere elements 9.

Regards:

John F. Martin

• 10. Re: Chapter Overflow
                            jfmartin3577 Level 1

In premiere elements 9

I captured a 5 minute clip

then burned it to a blue ray BD-RE

rewritable and it worked perfectly.

I burned the same clip to a BD-R and got the chapter overflow error !

Does anyone know what's going on.

When you get the chapter overload the BD-R disk that you used is trashed !!

Thanks in advance for help.

• 11. Re: Chapter Overflow
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt

The issue of Chapter Overflow has turned out not to be as clear cut as this thread might lead us to believe.

We have a marathon thread going on this topic at Elements Village

http://www.elementsvillage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64704

Ian started the thread, and, at the present time, it appears that he may have gotten rid of his Chapter Overflow error by going to a new internal SATA writer for his Blu-ray.

JFM (aka jfmartin3577) found the answer in turning off or getting rid of the Any DVDsoftware installed on the same computer as Premiere Elements and his internal SATA writer.

David is still looking for a solution.

And, no matter what I do, I cannot force the Chapter Overflow message to appear with or with Timeline Markers and menus, small or huge size projects...also have internal SATA writer.

So it is a puzzlement as to how the Chapter got in the Chapter Overflow message. All the details are in that thread (over 100 posts in it now, over 1000 views).

When it becomes available, I will update you on the latest developments with this Chapter Overflow and other Blu-ray issues, such as Adobe Media Encoder/Property Data Invalid which is NOT associated with crashes and failures.

ATR

• 12. Re: Chapter Overflow
                                ZeroMatrix7477 Level 1

Hello A.T.  They are wierd that a new drive seems to have solved your problem.  I'm using a new Internal Sata Blu-Ray burner from LG WH10LS30 and was unable to get past the 99%.  I decided in the mean time to upgrade my Nero to Nero 10 Suite with NeroVision and was able to burn the exact same files to a BD-R and BD-RL.  I've acquired Rewritable Single layer and dual layer discs so that i can avoid making expensive coasters so maybe I will try premiere again with one of the rewritable discs to see if that corrects the issue.  But the program is useless to me and I won't even bother customizing it if I can't make it past adding a simple clip and attempting to burn.  Your post that you link to was informative as it save me the attempt at using a 2 minute clip to see if I get the error as well.  Adobe really needs to fix this or this will be the last adobe product that I buy.

• 13. Re: Chapter Overflow
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

ZeroMatrix7477

You say that you cannot get beyond 99%...when you are at that 99%, are you being stopped by a Chapter Overflow message just below the burn to disc progress bar? Or, are you having some other problem at that point.

The whole mystery so far is that no one fix has been the same for each one involved...

Ian has confirmed definitely that going to an new internal SATA writer go rid of his Chapter Overflow error in the burn dialog.

JFM has confirmed that the AnyDVD software was at the core of his getting his Chapter Overflow error in the burn dialog.

David, no answer from him yet.

I never (not once) obtain the Chapter Overflow error in the burn dialog. All my burn to Blu-ray with Premiere Elements were all highly successful in burning and playback. My only odd happening was that warning "Adobe Encoder: Property Data Invalid" which did not affect the burning and playback result in anyway. I later found (exploration and experimentation) that message was related to inappropriate use of the check off for "Fit Content to Available Space".  One of the ironies of it all this was that both JFM and I were using the same brand and model writer, the same brand, type Blu-ray discs, Premiere Elements 9/9.0.1 etc. Yet he was getting the Chapter Overflow with or without scene Timeline markers and independant of duration of the Timeline. And, I was not having any problems..

Ian was the only one so far whose solution came from the writer change.

We are eager to see what David reports next.

As for your issues with the burn to Blu-ray. That thread to which I referred is a long one, I know. But check it out and look at every possible angle.

a. Interferring program(s).

b. Burner. The search for a driver or firmwire update (first comment of many) is not a viable one in this case. See my post in the thread referenced in my prior post. If I am correct, the only difference between your writer and mine is the write speed for the Blu-ray...yours 10X and mine 12X. Again, JFM's burner write speed for Blu-ray, like mine, was 12X...him Chapter Overflow...me, no problems.

c. As I said before, since this error occurs with or without Timeline markers/menus, it is curious how Chapter gets into the Chapter Overflow message that is being triggered.

Any further information on your issue and troubleshooting will be much appreciated. For me, the virtual Phantom Burner and its virtual BD-RE disc OR a real BD-RE kept me within budget.The Phantom Burner is a great way to go, but I opted not to purchase just use the free version. That allows only 1.5 GB. But, it is still a great help in sorting out a lot of the prep work for the real BD-RE or BD-R.

Thanks for your report.

ATR

• 14. Re: Chapter Overflow
                                    Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

John, are you sure you don't want to start a new topic instead of posting to an unrelated thread from last December?

Your question might get more attention that way.

• 15. Re: Chapter Overflow
                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

SG

Who is John? You addressed your response to jfmartin3577, and I do not see him anywhere mentioned as John.

Anyway, you appear to have skipped over my post #11 in this thread where I provided a link to the thread at another forum where exploring and remeding the Chapter Overflow is taking place. In that post #11 here, I pointed out that the jfmartin3577 here is the JFM at the other forum. And, JFM at that other forum has had his Chapter Overflow problem resolved by removing the program Any DVD from the computer system. Another, Ian at the other forum, solved the Chapter Overflow by going to an internal SATA writer. But, it is all in the posts and cited link above, so no need to rehash the details.

What happened here with your message to "John" at this time?

ATR

• 16. Re: Chapter Overflow

jfmartin signed his named as John F Martin in a post above, Tony.

Sorry if I missed your post. Guess I arrived late to the party!

• 17. Re: Chapter Overflow
                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

SG

Thanks for clearing up the name question. Hope you get a chance to read my posts in this thread. We were so glad that John F. Martin aka jfmartin aka JFM has resolved his Chapter Overflow error message with us by removing the Any DVD program. As I have said, others have found other fixes for the same problem. So, at this time, we do not have a concensus on why this error message is occurring. Maybe Adobe will step in and give us some clues. But until then we welcome any Chapter Overflowers to join the party to see if we can get more information on this error message so that we can "exterminate" it.

I will be posting more information on this matter as it becomes available from the group of Chapter Overflowers presently  involved and others.

ATR

• 18. Re: Chapter Overflow
                                            cnsf01

You can just exit AnyDVD and not remove it altogether.  If you have the Chapter Overflow error, cancel the burn (the disc should still be good).  Exit AnyDVD.  Start the burn again, it should work.

• 19. Re: Chapter Overflow
                                              A.T. Romano Level 7

cnf01

Are you using Premiere Elements 9? I am assuming that you are.

Thank you for taking the time to report your fix for the problem. We are constantly on the watch for such reports which so far have not been the same, one the AnyDVD involvement, one a change in Blu-ray burner, and other where nothing corrects the Chapter Overflow problem. So, now we have at least two reports of the AnyDVD involvement in the issue.

If you know of others who have found the AnyDVD involvement in Premiere Elements 9 Chapter Overflow, please let us know here or at the other forum that I frequent.

Much appreciated your contribution.

Thanks.

ATR

• 20. Re: Chapter Overflow
                                                jfmartin3577 Level 1

Thank you cnsf01.

I found what you have said to be true.

Regards:

JFM

• 21. Re: Chapter Overflow
                                                  jfmartin3577 Level 1

Thank you ATR for all of the first class technical support that you provide

For Adobe Premiere Elements users.

Regards:

JFM

• 22. Re: Chapter Overflow
                                                    cnsf01 Level 1

Anytime.  I had the exact same problem and it took quite a bit of trial and error to fix the issue.  Since my burner worked with other programs, I knew it wasn't a hardware or driver concern, it had to be a software conflict.

• 23. Re: Chapter Overflow
                                                      ABWay0 Level 1

FYI: I got "Chapter Ovderflow" while burning the third BD disc of a BD movie with 4 copies.  The first 2 BDs burned fine.

Tony Way

• 24. Re: Chapter Overflow
                                                        jfmartin3577 Level 1

That's really unique.

I have not received a chapter overflow since I removed Any DVD while burning to Blue Ray !

Regards:

JFM

• 25. Re: Chapter Overflow
                                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Tony Way,

As JFM can confirm, when it comes to the Chapter Overflow issue, I am determined to pursue every avenue in the hope of finding a common factor in all this. To rehash fix possibilities: one for new burner and two for AnyDVD conflict. JFM and I have essentially the same setup and I have never seen this Chapter Overflow under a variety of troubleshooting situations (I never had AnyDVD)

So, when you posted that you got the Chapter Overflow message during the Premiere Elements copy phase of burn to Blu-ray, that immediately caught my attention and interest. I have not tried that scenario to see if I could force the appearance of the Chapter Overflow in my computer system. Since nothing else has, I will give it a try and report back.

Could you supply more details on your situation..

Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 or other

Project Preset

Format of Timeline Content

Preset used in Burn To Blu-ray

What brand and type disc

What Blu-ray writer (internal or external)

And, also important, after you got the Chapter Overflow message after the successful 2 of 4, if you opened a new project, have you subsequently gotten Chapter Overflow with the burn to Blu-ray, one copy? Was your 2 of 4 copy Chapter Overflow event repeatable?

Looking forward to your details and comments.

Thanks.

ATR

• 26. Re: Chapter Overflow
                                                            ABWay0 Level 1

ATR,

I am using PrE-9.0.1

The input file was 29.9 GB (52:55 min.) HD-AVI (Motion JPEG) 1920x1080 29.97p (digitized home movies) brought in under Preset: DSLR-1080 30p @29.97fps.

The project had ca. 24 clips, no sound, 16 menu markers, ca. 30 Titles (29.97), HD "Grid" (no sound) menu with 4 scene menus, 52:08 min., 7.74 GB @ 20.19 mbps

My computer has: Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit, an AMD Phenom 9500 Quad-Core Processor 2.20 GHz, 8 Gb RAM, LG BH08LS20 internal BD writer with firmware 2.00.

I burned Memorex BD discs, the first BD-RE, the second BD-R.  I got "Chapter Overflow" after inserting the third BD-R disc.  Since I was able to copy my last BD-R to 2 more BD-Rs with Roxio Creator 2011 Pro "Copy Disc" (Roxio "Burn" crashed during the BD copy>burn) I have not run another project to see if the error is repeatable.

I do not have AnyDVD loaded, only Roxio & CyberLink programs.

I presume that you know what the Chapter Overflow error message means (I do not).

Good hunting,

Tony Way

• 27. Re: Chapter Overflow
                                                              ZeroMatrix7477 Level 1

Hello AT Romano,

Sorry for the very delayed response.  My project would get to 99% and there was no option to continue.  Just accept the Chapter Overflow error and done.  I checked the discs afterwards and they were considered used and would not allow the program to re-burn to them so it made a coaster.

I will not be switching to a new Blu-Ray burner as I had just purchased this one, but I will look into the Phantom Burner that you mentioned.  I know what AnyDVD is but have never installed it on this computer.

Prior to the Chapter Overflow error, I kept getting an error that prevented me from progressing to the Burn and the error was not very informative.  I solved that when I realize that the disc title contained a space which is not permitted in disc names.  Once I corrected that I thought that I was golden since it let me start the burn.

My project consisted of two title slides at the beginning of two clips but otherwise it was just all of the clips on one disc.  I never inserted timeline markers though I would like to know how to when this starts working.

At the time, I was using a verbatim single layer blu-ray disc.  I had to get that movie burned and was able to do so using Nero Vision from the Nero 10 suite and successfully burned the same project (video clips) to both a single and dual layer disc.

• 28. Re: Chapter Overflow
                                                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Tony Way

Thanks for all the information. I am hoping to find a common factor in all the Chapter Overflow events to figure it out. So far I have seen no clue as to why the Chapter is present in that Premiere Elements Chapter Overflow message.

Some time this weekend, I am going to try burning those 4 copies of a Premiere Elements burn to blu-ray (as you described) to see if I can force the Chapter Overflow error to appear.

I do not work for Adobe nor am I affilicated with Adobe in any way. I am just a user of the program who has a lot of curiosity about the workflow when it is not flowing as I had expected for all. It will be interesting/helpful if a member of the Adobe developmental/programming team would post some comments on this.

I will be sure to post if there are further developments in this matter.

ATR

• 29. Re: Chapter Overflow
                                                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Zero Matrix 7477

Thanks for your follow up information which I hope will advance users in tackling this Chapter Overflow business.

When you are ready, we can discuss timeline markers (scene, main menu, and stop). All sorts of detours there to navigate, but keep the following in mind. Before I recently got Blu-ray equipment, I had seen all sorts of comments about stop markers not working in the play back of Premiere Elements burn to Blu-ray BD-R and BD-RE discs. Now that I have Blu-ray equipment, I can confirm...Stop Markers do not work in this case.

Thanks for your time and interest.

ATR

• 30. Re: Chapter Overflow
                                                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Tony Way

I did not have time yet for a Blu-ray project of the magnitude that you used when you encountered Chapter Overflow, but this is what I did do:

a. Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 project preset (new project dialog) = NTSC HDV HDV 1080i30

b. Timeline content: 25 MPEG2 Blu-ray.m2t clips (1440 x 1080 HD anamorphic 16:9) with Dolby Digital Stereo, each 1 minute 43 seconds in duration; 25 scene markers (the maximum allowed per Timeline by Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1).

c. Share/Disc/Blu-ray with a preset of H.264 1440 x 1080i NTSC Dolby; about 10 GB Space Required and Bitrate of 20.19 Mbps consequently no check mark next to "Fit Content to Available Space" to avoid the "Adobe Encoder Property Data Invalid Error" message which is a separate matter which I have written about elsewhere; copies set to 4.

The Save on the burn to Blu-ray was hit at 4:15 pm and at about 6:15 pm the 4th Blu-ray disc was completed (the first to a BD-RE and the last three to BD-R since I did not have anymore BD-RE). No Chapter Error.

ATR

• 31. Re: Chapter Overflow
                                                                      ABWay0 Level 1

Well, I guess this eliminates one more blind alley.  I'll keep

my eyes open for "chapter overflow" again.

Tony Way

• 32. Re: Chapter Overflow
                                                                        jfmartin3577 Level 1

I think it also helps to have the latest firmware for your Blue-Ray burner.

Also Adobe programmers should man up and explain what's happening to

Trigger the "chapter overflow" response.

JFM

• 33. Re: Chapter Overflow
                                                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

JFM

Hope all is going well. I think that I need to invest in some more BD-RE before I run out of BD-R.

As you know, you and I have the same brand, model, latest firmware for our Blu-ray burner, yet you received the Chapter Overflow message and I did not. So, right now I am putting the latest firmware version consideration on the "back burner" so to speak. Your fix to the matter (the Any DVD software removal) has the "greatest" number of votes going for "fix", that is, TWO, but the circumstances surrounding the error appearance for others are so varied as to cloud the matter rather than clarify it.

Nonetheless, we continue to search for an exlanation and a consistent remedy sooner than later so that we do not exhaust the BD-RE/BD-R supply and make each an endangered species.

Thanks.

ATR

• 34. Re: Chapter Overflow
                                                                            jfmartin3577 Level 1

ATR

Thanks for keeping me informed.

You are my close technical friend.

Regards:

JFM

• 35. Re: Chapter Overflow
                                                                              AndyLambert2011

Dear All,

Have just tried to burn my first BD-R with my newly acquired Prel9.

Get the CO message at 99%.

• 36. Re: Chapter Overflow

Since this is only tangentially related to this current thread, why not start your own topic, Andy, so that you can get your own thread going. It's much easier than our trying to carry on two conversations at once.

I'd also be careful about including your e-mail address in your posts. (This sometimes happens automatically if you post from a mobile device.) Spambots often cruise these forums looking for e-mail addresses to hit!

(I've removed your address from the post above, just in case.)

• 37. Re: Chapter Overflow
                                                                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Andy,

When you do post, please include all info on your system, your Source Files, your Project Preset, and exactly what you have done, before you get the Chapter Overlfow error message. This ARTICLE will give you some tips.

Good luck, and please let us know a lot more.

Hunt

• 38. Re: Chapter Overflow
                                                                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

AndyLambert2011

I would disagree with SG that your issue is only tangentially related to the current thread. And, in spite of the fact that I often write "Problems with the same symptoms can (often do) have difference causes." I would proceed based on the history of Chapter Overflow/Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 burn to Blu-ray, based on the information developed in this thread and at a forum which I frequent. Please see the following, especially thread #136 and 137 for the most up to date information on Chapter Overflow.

http://www.elementsvillage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64704&page=14

Although there are variations on the "fixes", have you looked into any possible interference from the AnyDVD program?

We will look forward to your follow up here and/or the forum that I frequent.

Thanks.

ATR

• 39. Re: Chapter Overflow
                                                                                      jfmartin3577 Level 1

Andy !

If you have a program like Any DVD loaded oon your computer it will produce a "chapter overflow" error.

Also it helps to have the latest burner internal software installed.

JFM

1 2 Previous Next