3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 24, 2010 9:04 AM by wschlotter

Rendering Not as thought

wschlotter

I am trying to render a HDV/HDTV 720 29.97 scene. I am using a photoshop file for the background but it is set to the dimensions for 720. I have a text layer, A solid with CC Particle World added, and a short clip for Christmas Vacation. I am rendering the video out as a h.264 with audio, but when rendered is very poor quality. Not really sure what is causing it. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

• 1. Re: Rendering Not as thought
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

It's hard to help if we don't have more information.

What version of After Effects? What operating system? What are your export settings?

What do you mean by "poor quality"? A screenshot would help.

• 2. Re: Rendering Not as thought
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
            I am rendering the video out as a h.264 with audio, but when rendered is very poor quality. Not really sure what is causing it.

Umm, did you do your homework and do a generic research about compression and settings? You know, data rates, GOP settings and all that. If it looks crap, it simply has too little to work with, meaning the data rate is too low for the given resolution. If it's just for local use, you can crank it up, if it is supposed to be send via Internet, you might do the inverse and reduce the dimensions of the clip while retaining the current data rate (and thus file size). the rest - well, you won't get a magic answer to solve your issues with a button click. Compression is a complex topic, so do that generic research. and Tod is right - providing more info on your settings would make it easier to advise.

Mylenium

• 3. Re: Rendering Not as thought
              wschlotter Level 1

I appreciate the quick responses from you guys. I changed some things around in the design of the video itself and once I changed the bg i was using, the quality greatly increased. When I get a chance tonight, tomorrow, or this weekend. I will post my settings and a screen shot of my problem so that i can learn what was causing such low quality, but I need to finish packing to head home for Christmas. Again thanks for the help.