2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 3, 2007 2:13 AM by Peter Grainge

Tough thing...

Anandhipsg
      Hello All,

I have a doubt in Robohelp.

I was assigned the task of identifying the pros and cons of using Robohelp for our online help requirements, so that we can purchase it.

I downloaded the trial version and worked on it and showed a prototype of the online help application. I used Conditional tags and generated separate outputs for normal and admin user (as per our project). But the requirement is that we need a help which appears dynamically to the users, based on the modules the client purchased, and also based on the access rights of the logged in user. Let me explain you more. Suppose, there are five modules in our application, and the user has purchased only two. And those modules have forms for normal user and admin user. My guys are telling that they need only a single project, with all the contents in it, and when the user presses F1 key from a particular form, it should check

1. if the user has purchased that module.
      2. If the logged in user has access rights to that particular form
      3. If both the conditions are true, then display the relevant help topic for that form.

Is it possible to achieve in Robohelp?

Our projects are based on C#.Net.

Someone please throw some light on this, asap.

Thanks and Regards,

Anandhi Ghiri

• 1. Re: Tough thing...
          RoboColum(n) Level 5
          Hi Anandhi and welcome to our community. With RH you can (as you have already said) taylor the content to various audiences. You can also supply a map file for your developers to enable F1 help to appear. What RH can not do, and I'd also add that no help authoring tool can do, is check the licence or security level of a user. As the call is coming from the application I'd say that the check should be made by the application and then call the help. As such perhaps your developers could write a routine to do this when the F1 key is pressed?
          • 2. Re: Tough thing...
            Peter Grainge Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)
            Another approach would be to create merged help and just deliver the help for the required modules. That delivers the right help to the right customer but does not tailor it to different users within. That is something your developers will have to resolve.