2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 27, 2010 2:31 PM by chesterdog2

Surround Sound

chesterdog2

I like to see that surround sound has been given more support in this mac version compared to the auditon3 for pc. But there are a few things that are still missing for surround sound work (or I'm missing them and just can't find these features)

Mainly two things:

1. We need to be able to put keyframes in for surround sound panning not just stereo panning

2. In multitrack it would be nice to have the master meters with a 5 channel mode not just 2.

Thanks

• 1. Re: Surround Sound
          _colin_ Adobe Employee

I could be misunderstanding your request, so a grain of salt here if I am...

chesterdog1@gmail.com wrote:

I like to see that surround sound has been given more support in this mac version compared to the auditon3 for pc. But there are a few things that are still missing for surround sound work (or I'm missing them and just can't find these features)

Mainly two things:

1. We need to be able to put keyframes in for surround sound panning not just stereo panning

2. In multitrack it would be nice to have the master meters with a 5 channel mode not just 2.

Thanks

1. If you're in a surround session, you can write keyframes against pan: angle, radius, center, LFE, stereo spread (among other things). This provides the range of panning relative to the surround panner that's in the track.

2. The level meter (which lives in a separate panel) and the master bus have 6 channels in the meters.

If you aren't seeing this, then make sure you're creating a 5.1 session (File->New->Multitrack Session, then choose 5.1 for the "master" instead of stereo).

Cheers,

Colin

• 2. Re: Surround Sound
            chesterdog2 Level 1

You've understood me don't worry. As I suspected I just didn't know where these features are. I assume help files are on there way which would prevent people like me from bothering you.

I got the metering problem and now understand that you need to make the session in  5 channel mode. But I couldn't figure out the keyframes with panning. If I have a surround sound session, a mono track with a mono audio file on it, how do I get it to pan from rear to center speakers? I see the "track panner" but I can't figure out how to automate it. On the audio clip I only see a line for volume keyframes.

Thanks