8 Replies Latest reply on Dec 25, 2010 5:22 AM by George D.D.

Scene "FLUTTER" in edited video...???

George D.D. Level 1

I hope everyone is having a nice Xmas.

I have successfully edited a couple of videos, taking clips from our previous work on DVD or VHS tape copies.  These will be kind of "demo" reels for our website.   The videos work fine while in CS5 and everything works smoothly.  I have trasfered them over to Encore where I made DVDs of each.

When I play the DVDs on a TV, some of the clips flutter, jerk, or skip radically along, and do not run smooth like most of the others.   This is most prevalant where scenes are panning or have a fast moving subject going "across" the frame.  This is completely unacceptable.

Am I doing something wrong in CS5 or Encore before burning the DVD, or what?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Scene "FLUTTER" in edited video...???
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>previous work on DVD or VHS tape copies

Not really great source... especially taking video from a DVD to edit and then RECOMPRESS to a new DVD

What, exactly, are your Encore settings?

Scenes with fast movement may need to be separated out and encoded individually, then put back into the Encore timeline

• 2. Re: Scene "FLUTTER" in edited video...???
            George D.D. Level 1

I'm very, VERY new to Adobe CS5 and Encore.  Editing is not really my schtick, but I'm trying to learn.  I've been a film shooter and a DP all my life, and computers and editing software are all a new, learning experience.

I have not done any changing to the settings in Encore.  I just Build the DVDs with the default settings.  I don't even know what "encoding" is....sorry !!

Any help is very much appreciated, especially from you people with many years experience working with software like this.

Thanks.

• 3. Re: Scene "FLUTTER" in edited video...???
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Two things to consider, and each can have an impact on the resulting DVD-Video.

As John T. points out, when one is Importing VOB's (the container for the MPEG-2 AV files from existing DVD-Videos),  one is working with material that has already been compressed once, at least. Then, when one authors another DVD-Video, they are recompressing that material one more time. This recompression will definitely show up where there is any motion, either subject, or camera. The image will often look jagged.

Now, when one burns a DVD, for playback on a set-top player hooked to a TV, the brand of blank media can play a major role in playability. Less than ideal blank media will often be given to skipping, hanging, juddering, and even finding that navigation is missing, or does not function. This ARTICLE will give you a bit more background.

From the description, I would lean towards the latter, but there could well be elements of the former involved.

In the case of the former, going back to the uncompressed (or lightly compressed) source material will yield better results. In the case of the latter, using Taiyo-Yuden, Verbatim, or other high-quality, premium blank media and burning at less that max speed, will likely improve things too.

Good luck, and to rule out the latter, let us know what brand of blank media that you used. For the former, if one cannot get to the original source material, prior to the creation of that DVD-Video, quality might just have to suffer.

Hunt

• 4. Re: Scene "FLUTTER" in edited video...???
                George D.D. Level 1

Thanks.

That helps me understand a lot of things.

The media I'm recording on is Verbatim DVD-R, which have never failed me yet.

There is no way I can get to the original source material.  I have to use what I have, and it is usually a DVD or a TV show I've recorded onto VHS.  Yes, I realize image suffers because of it, but that's all I have to work with.

These video are ONLY for posting on the internet as samples of the kind of work we do, NOT the quality of the video.

Take care.

• 5. Re: Scene "FLUTTER" in edited video...???
                  shooternz Level 6
                  These video are ONLY for posting on the internet as samples of the kind of work we do, NOT the quality of the video

Why are you making DVDs then?

What happens if you encode for the "internet"?

• 6. Re: Scene "FLUTTER" in edited video...???
                    the_wine_snob Level 9
                    The media I'm recording on is Verbatim DVD-R, which have never failed me yet.

IMHO, that is as good as it gets. I would still choose a burn speed that is less than max, but your choice of media is a good one.

There is no way I can get to the original source material.  I have to use what I have, and it is usually a DVD or a TV show I've recorded onto VHS.  Yes, I realize image suffers because of it, but that's all I have to work with.

I was afraid of that. So long as you are prepared for that loss in quality, there is not much else that can be done, unfortunately.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Scene "FLUTTER" in edited video...???
                      hmcindie Level 1

This sounds like your using a the wrong interlace field settings. Check if you have them reversed (upper/lower). If you can't get it done just try deinterlacing before going to DVD.

Differences between blank medias? Come on guys, this sounds like your basic field mismatch.

• 8. Re: Scene "FLUTTER" in edited video...???
                        George D.D. Level 1

Much thanks to everybody for your help and advise.  It is greatly appreciated.

Looks like I'm just going to have to live with it, and that's OK.  For a professional edit for clients, it would NOT be.  But, as I've said, that's not what it's for.

And, I hope, with all my heart, that you all have a great Xmas and a super New Year.

The best to you all.

Thanks again.