11 Replies Latest reply on Dec 24, 2010 3:26 PM by the_wine_snob

Desperate...Premiere not recognizing any video

blackroseshiori

Hi everyone!  I'm obviously very desperate if I'm posting to a forum for help. 

The problem is my clips won't show in the timeline. When I drag and drop the video file, every single thing I've read online states that it should AUTOMATICALLY separate my video into clips for editing, and an audio track. It should read "Video 1", "Video 2," "Audio 1", etc. In the default setting, before a video is added to the timeline, it reads "Narration" and "Soundtrack." But, as I said, when I drag and drop a video it is supposed to automatically change. Even YouTube tutorials have shown this.

Well...mine doesn't.

When I drag and drop a video, not only does it NOT separate the video and audio, but it doesn't even separate it into clips. The words "Narration" and "Soundtrack" remain on the left side, where it's supposed to read "video" and "audio." So it's as if the program is not recognizing my video file.

Fine, so I tried another video file. One of those sample ones that were already on the computer. No dice, it still did the same thing.

So I'm at an impasse. No help sites or anything I've found have addressed the problem of the program just NOT WORKING like it's supposed to! And I know exactly what it's supposed to look like, because it's not that dissimilar from Windows Movie Maker which I have used before.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• 1. Re: Desperate...Premiere not recognizing any video
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

What kind of camcorder is your video coming from and how did you get it into your computer?

Which settings did you use when you set up your Premiere Elements project?

Have you used Get Media to get your video into your project?

I am not aware of any function that "separates audio and video" when you add it to the timeline. It should come in as a single clip and, when you put it on the Video 1 track, there should be a video and audio component to it.

So I'm not clear what you're asking for.

• 2. Re: Desperate...Premiere not recognizing any video
            blackroseshiori Level 1

It's not from a camcorder, it's an .avi file directly from my hard drive.  Saved on my desktop, no less.

That's what I'm saying, it is not recognizing a video OR audio file at all when placed in the timeline, yet it PLAYS from the timeline just fine.

I would also like to add that the video opens fine in every other program.  I mean, it's just a simple .avi so of course it should.

• 3. Re: Desperate...Premiere not recognizing any video
              the_wine_snob Level 9

It sounds like your Video is going to Video 1 (you do not mention seeing Video 1/Audio 1, etc.), but you need to scroll up on the Timeline to see those. If that is the case, look to the far right of the Timeline Panel, and you should see a Scroll Bar. Scroll up, past the Narration & Soundtrack, which should be at the bottom of the Timeline. Now, can you see where you dragged the Video Clip?

Normally, the Audio, in a Multiplexed AV file (a separate Video & Audio stream muxed into one file) for the Clip on Video 1 will automatically go to Audio 1. One exception to that will be if you AV file has DD 5.1 SS Audio and your Project was not set up that way. In that particular case, the DD 5.1 SS Audio will drop down to a lower Audio Track, and you may have to Scroll to see that. Note: each Audio Track has a channel-count, with either 1-channel (mono), 2-channel (stereo), or 5.1 SS. One can only place 1-channel Audio onto a 1-channel Audio Track. The same for 2-channel and 5.1 Audio. If such a Track does not exist, PrE will automatically create one, at the bottom of the Timeline, where you may have to Scroll to see it.

Good luck, and I also think that Steve G. will help you getting your Project setup for your particular Video from your camera.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Desperate...Premiere not recognizing any video
                the_wine_snob Level 9
                yet it PLAYS from the timeline just fine.

That indicates that it IS on the Timeline, but without Scrolling, you just cannot see it. Look for those Scroll Bars to the far-right of the Timeline Panel. You will then find your Audio & your Video. The Scroll Bar is not large, and there is not a lot of contrast, but look carefully.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Desperate...Premiere not recognizing any video
                  blackroseshiori Level 1

I do not have an option to scroll.  Trust me, I've tried that.  There is no Video 1, etc.

Here is a screenshot of what I am seeing when I drag and drop my video.  Note that the weird green bar is my movie.

http://pics.livejournal.com/sensitivinferno/pic/001kyhtd

• 6. Re: Desperate...Premiere not recognizing any video
                    blackroseshiori Level 1

I'm rendering the video right now, and hope that is what I need.

It's just a silly project, I'm trying to edit some preview clips from a movie I like to my own music, but as you can imagine I'm upset that the program isn't working when my husband paid extra for it to be installed on our brand new desktop.

• 7. Re: Desperate...Premiere not recognizing any video
                      the_wine_snob Level 9
                      It's not from a camcorder, it's an .avi file directly from my hard drive.  Saved on my desktop, no less.

Two things here:

AVI is but a wrapper, and so very much can be inside that wrapper. See this ARTICLE for some background, and also tips on how to peek inside that wrapper.

Second, I would not use the Desktop for your Assets. It is basically a special folder and one with special properties. Often, PrE (and many other programs) will have difficulty accessing the Desktop folder, due to those special properties. Just create a New Folder (or use the My Documents>My Video folder), and Move your AVI file(s) to that. This should be done, with PrE closed. When you Open that Project back up, PrE will ask you, "Where is file _____.avi?" From the Finder, just navigate to that New Folder, or to the My Videos folder, and choose that "missing" file.

This might also be a good point to talk a bit about what a Project file (PREL file) really is. This ARTICLE will give you some background. It will also explain why PrE asked "Where is file ____.avi?" once you Moved it.

Good luck, and for a very good starter set of articles, I strongly recommend Steve Grisetti's Basic Training Series at Muvipix. To go beyond those articles, he has some great books on PrE, also at Muvipix.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Desperate...Premiere not recognizing any video
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Here is another look at your Timeline image:

Scroll_Bar_01.png

The Scroll Bar is there, but just hard to see. Notice the area above the box, just above that down-pointing arrow? That shows that you have Timeline above that box. The box, being at the bottom, indicates that you are only seeing the lower portion of it.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: Desperate...Premiere not recognizing any video
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

You are actually a lot closer, than you think. Once you find that Scroll Bar (or Click-drag on the bottom of the Timeline to expand its Panel, to see the rest of the Tracks, you will be able to see that material in them. They are just hidden from you in that view. Remember, that Scroll Bar is not large, and the contrast does not make it stand out well (a complaint that I have with the PrE GUI - Graphical User Interface), but once you do see it, you'll always know where to look.

Good luck, and happy editing,

Hunt

PS - though I use an older version of PrE, there are a few Panels, that have Scroll Bars, and I often get mad, when I do not see them right off, and forget that those particular Panels need to be Scrolled, regardless of how large they are on the screen - been there - done that.

Message was edited by: Bill Hunt - Added PS

• 10. Re: Desperate...Premiere not recognizing any video
                            the_wine_snob Level 9
                            Hi everyone!  I'm obviously very desperate if I'm posting to a forum for help.

Actually, I think that you have come to one of the very best resources available for PrE - this forum. Along with the material in Steve Grisetti's books, and his Muvipix articles, I do not think that one can find better anywhere. With but a very, very few exceptions (licensing issues, some really odd install issues, and similar), I think that we are so very much better than even a live telephone call to Adobe T/S. The people here understand the program well, know its limitations, etc., and can also empathize with users, as we ARE users.

I feel that you came to the best place.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 11. Re: Desperate...Premiere not recognizing any video
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Here's a look at PrE's "big brother," PrPro (an earlier version) and its Timeline Scroll Bars:

Scroll_Bars_PrPro.png

Now, those are SCROLL BARS! One has some control on aspects, like Brightness in the GUI, but the contrast in the Scroll Bars is still an issue, at least IMHO.

Good luck,

Hunt