I can open 4 bit
      I can open 8 bit
      I can open 16 bit
      I can open 32 bit

but can't open 24 bit without the whacked conversion to 32

24 is not 32 and converting is changes the file
      both the size and bit rate

also Record in 24

the native bitrate for my sound card is 24-bit and thus I can't use AA to record
      and must use Cubase LE version supplied with the sound card to record

and wavelab lite (also supplied wih the sound card) to edit the 24-bit recorded file without changing it

but wavelab doesn't do live scrolling it does chunk scrolling
      meaning the cursor isn't stationary when playing and the waveform that's displayed

goes by in chunks (Extremely annoying!)

if I try to use either 16 bit or 32 bit to record with AA
      the sound card fails miserably with various clicks pops and dropouts etc.

but when using Cubase LE to record I get no such dropouts, clicks or pops etc.
      because it records in the sound card native 24 bit

good grief Audacity will record in 24 bit from a 24 bit sound card

• 1. Re: Open 24-bit as 24-bit with no conversion;
          RonNovy Level 2

Don't know if it would help, but you could always try ASIO4ALL.

Honestly, 24-bit is such a b@stard format when it comes to computing.  Processors like byte sizes that are a power of two like 2, 4, 8, etc.  You could process an array of 32-bit integers faster then you can process a packed array of 24-bit so it really is a waste. They should really be making ADCs, DACs and Codecs with 32-bit float output so programmers and hardware designers don't have to toy with those 3 byte b@stards...

You probably want to edit/process your files or add effects right? Well all those VST, DX and Audition effects are all 32-bit float so why go back and forth between 24-bit and 32-bit when you only have to convert when loading or saving...  It just makes more sense to use 32-bit...

For recording, you could always try updating the drivers for your sound card.  Without even knowing what sound card you use, I'll have to guess that it is sending 24-bit packed integers.  If so, this isn't that great.  If it could send 24-bit as 4 bytes instead of 3 then it would greatly reduce the amount of processing necessary.  But you may have a better chance using ASIO4ALL.  Just be sure ASIO4ALL is using the right card and Audition is set to use ASIO4ALL...

Later on,

Ron

• 2. Re: Open 24-bit as 24-bit with no conversion;
            Richard FDisk Level 1

this is the card I use:

http://www.emu.com/products/product.asp?product=10447

the Native bit-rate is 24-bit (can't be changed)
            any attempt to record from it using any other setting
            ie. 16 or 32 results in corruption in the recordings

ie.
            - Large dropouts

- buffer dropping

- skips, clicks, pops
            - etc.

• 3. Re: Open 24-bit as 24-bit with no conversion;
              gregh1957 Level 1

Your card comes with its own ASIO drivers - you should be able to set Audition to record 32bit float and then just record away without any artifacts at all - this is possible with my system. Different soundcard, but still 24bit, and still recording into Edit in Audition 3.

if you still have problems after setting Audition to the EMU Asio drivers, then I would think it is a problem with those drivers rather than Audition.

• 4. Re: Open 24-bit as 24-bit with no conversion;
                aomahana Level 1

Hello there,

Transferring a 24 bit file into Audition at 32 bit is not a problem. But some Programs will not read 32 bit and require 24 bit files. e.g. Akai DDplus. The files can be converted in another program such as Pyramix, but it would be so much better if Audition included 24 bit as an option to alow export where this is a requirement.

Thanks.

Bye now,

aomahana.

• 5. Re: Open 24-bit as 24-bit with no conversion;
                  ryclark Level 6

Audition can save out it's audio files as 24bit if required. You just need to set the option when you do a Save As.

• 6. Re: Open 24-bit as 24-bit with no conversion;
                    Richard FDisk Level 1
                    Audition can save out it's audio files as 24bit if required. You just need to set the option when you do a Save As.

Thanks for that,

I already have it set that way
                    I found it when I got tired of the file size increases when saving out converted files

which is why I'd rather have 0 conversions while working on the file
                    and only one finished product conversion down to 16 for CDDA

would be nice to open, display, play & edit etc. as a 24-bit file

just like AA can already do with 16 & 32