13 Replies Latest reply on Dec 27, 2010 8:09 AM by the_wine_snob

New user with mulitple issues

DunedinDragon

I just purchased PrE 9 and installed it a couple of days ago.  My biggest concern is how much lag there is in the playback under the timeline view.  I primarily use this for creating music videos.  I have one video track for the stills and their transitions, one (and sometimes two) video tracks for the titles and their transitions, and an audio track containing the music.  The audio track plays consistently, but the timeline generally has a problem keeping up and visually staying in sync with the music.  I've used other video editors before and I've never experienced this problem.

I have also been experiencing multiple crashes while editing.  So much so that I tend to have to save my work after each edit.  This appears to be related to another problem in which I get a notice when starting up that I'm using a generic display driver and it will affect performance.  At the start I was using a generic monitor driver but I replaced it with the driver specific to my monitor and yet I intermittently get these notices, and when I do the whole system seems to lag and overuse the CPU to the point I start getting warnings and eventually crash.

I've updated my graphics driver (Radeon x1950) and monitor driver so they are all current.  I use a pentium 4 3ghz dual cpu with 2 gb of ram. I've been in touch with support and they want me to re-install the program.  I'm hesitant to do that as apparently the installation process messes with the disk burning drivers to the point that I have to re-install my Primera Disc Publishing software for my Bravo SE printer/duplicator.

Anyone have any ideas or should I just abandon PrE at this point for another video editor?

• 1. Re: New user with mulitple issues
          nealeh Level 5

You mention stills. Have you resized these to no more than  1000x750 (Std Def) 2000x1500 (High Def). More details here: What resolution should my photos be in Premiere Elements?

Do you have a redline across your timeline? Was this red line there when you first added your video - if so that means you have not selected the correct project preset, or that your clip is nor one that PRE can edit natively. Analyze the file with: GSpot Codec Information Appliance and post the screen image. To improve your preview views press [Enter] and wait for the red lines to go green.

Cheers,
          --
          Neale
          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 2. Re: New user with mulitple issues
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I'm with Neale. Most of the challenges with using this program to create slideshows come from users using photos larger than 1000x750 in their projects.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/431851?tstart=0

If you resize your photos, you'll see much peppier performance. Even more so if you regularly render as you work (pressing Enter) so that the red lines above the clips on the timeline turn green.

• 3. Re: New user with mulitple issues
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Along with the comments, and suggestions, on still photo sizes, you mention:

I use a pentium 4 3ghz dual cpu with 2 gb of ram.

What are the complete specs. of the Video Assets, that you are using? If they are DV-AVI Type II files, that Pentium should be fine. However, if you are using HD Assets, and especially H.264/AVCHD, it is likely that you will never get smooth playback with it.

Also, insure that your Project Preset matches the source Video files, 100%, where you have Videos. What Project Preset are you using?

Regarding your ATI Radeon's driver, what is the number/date on the one that you have now? Is that the very latest from the ATI/AMD site? Many users will rely on Windows to check for video drivers, and that usually will be about 6 mos., or more, out of date.

Can you also tell us all about your computer's I/O setup, your HDD's, their size, speed, amount of defragmented free space, the controller type (SATA, or other), and how you have them allocated? Do you have any partitions?

Three other suggestions:

1. Update Windows completely. What OS version are you using?
              2. Update both the video and audio drivers to the latest.
              3. Update Apple's QuickTime Player. What version do you have?

Here are some links, that might be useful:

Scaling large stills in PS/PSE with automation: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/450798?tstart=0

Setting up one's computer for an editing session: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/483270?tstart=0

Troubleshooting crashes: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/446365?tstart=60

Troubleshooting tips from PrPro-Wiki: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/503092?tstart=60

Resource issues: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/632449?tstart=0

Windows Indexing: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/676303?tstart=30

The Case of the Unexplained: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/719562?tstart=0

There are also many great entries in the FAQ section, accessed to the right of the forum's page. Many are great for setting up one's computer, and come from the appendix of Steve Grisetti's excellent books on PrE.

Good luck, and welcome to the forum.

Hunt

• 4. Re: New user with mulitple issues
                DunedinDragon Level 1

Interesting point about the redline.  I've noted on some of the videos the redline is there at some point or all the way through with some green line as well.  Some videos have no line beneath the timeline at all.  What exactly do these lines mean exactly?

Again, I have no video clips at all in these videos.  Purely stills and transitions, so I'm not sure how the setup would be affected by the project type since I'm not importing any video clips.

Dave

• 5. Re: New user with mulitple issues
                  DunedinDragon Level 1

Hunt:

All of the software you mentioned is all up to latest specs.  Everything was updated in trying to address this issue.

Quite honestly, the fact that I'd need to be concerned about having only the latest specs gives me considerable concern that I may have made a mistake in choosing PrE.  It would indicate more than anything else a lack of QC and integration testing in Adobe's software release process which has me a bit concerned after reading your message.

Fragmentation or memory allocation shouldn't be a problem for PrE in my configuration as I constantly have automatic tune-ups run nightly and I have no problem with any of my other rather demanding applications that I run such as Sound Forge and Sonar 8 Studio which both have considerably more processing requirements with their chains of real-time VSTs and Virtual Instruments  than anything I see happening in the video processing threads while previewing and authoring.

As noted above, I'm not importing any videos.  These are purely stills with transitions along with a single audio track lasting at most 5:30.  Not a very demanding project, even for something as simple as Windows Live Movie Maker, so it shouldn't be that daunting for PrE I wouldn't think.

Dave

• 6. Re: New user with mulitple issues
                    the_wine_snob Level 9
                    Quite honestly, the fact that I'd need to be concerned about having only the latest specs gives me considerable concern that I may have made a mistake in choosing PrE.  It would indicate more than anything else a lack of QC and integration testing in Adobe's software release process which has me a bit concerned after reading your message.

Video editing is an intensive process. Most NLE (Non Linear Editor) programs will need to interface with the video and audio drivers, more than almost any other program will. Even a simple OS update/hot-fix can render a driver instantly obsolete, and that is why the mfgrs. issue them with such frequency.

It's the exact same was with the latest extreme games - what worked with an earlier one, is probably not capable of giving 100% to a newer version. This is just a fact of life.

One also must remember that playing an AV file is much different than editing that very same file - two totally different operations.

As for the stills, I have not seen (maybe just missed it) the pixel x pixel dimensions of those stills. Can you point me to that info? Large stills yield two issues - lower quality in Scaling, and then an extreme and unnecessary processing overhead.

Glad that your computer is updated and properly tuned. Knowing that rules out so very much.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: New user with mulitple issues
                      DunedinDragon Level 1

Video editing is an intensive process. Most NLE (Non Linear Editor) programs will need to interface with the video and audio drivers, more than almost any other program will. Even a simple OS update/hot-fix can render a driver instantly obsolete, and that is why the mfgrs. issue them with such frequency.

It's the exact same was with the latest extreme games - what worked with an earlier one, is probably not capable of giving 100% to a newer version. This is just a fact of life.

I absolutely agree the audio and video interfaces are quite daunting, but no more daunting for Windows Live Movie Maker or Power Director in the editing process than it is for PrE.  And that's where I get concerned.  I have very smooth editing and preview in other video editors I've tried out, but PrE seems to stand out (in a very bad way) with it's lack of smoothness, preview rendering, and responsiveness while in editing mode as compared to the others.  That's where I get concerned.  What could be bottlenecking the PrE processing that doesn't bottleneck any others like Windows Live or Power Director.

One also must remember that playing an AV file is much different than editing that very same file - two totally different operations.

Again, I really don't currently use any AV files in my projects, and playback of rendered files is fine.  My only problems come while constructing, editing, and reviewing my project (containing only stills and transitions) while in edit mode.

As for the stills, I have not seen (maybe just missed it) the pixel x pixel dimensions of those stills. Can you point me to that info? Large stills yield two issues - lower quality in Scaling, and then an extreme and unnecessary processing overhead.

The size of these stills vary as do their bit depths.  However, these are the same stills and audio files used in the other programs and it's not a problem for them...why would it be a problem for PrE unless it's something in the way I've configured or setup the project?  I really like the facilities of PrE and the general flexibility of it, but I'm not sure why it's performance is so abysmal and it's stability is so shaky when compared to competitors run on exactly the same machine.

Forgive me if I sound frustrated, but I really wasn't planning on spending my Christmas trying to mess with this thing..

• 8. Re: New user with mulitple issues
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

I keep coming back to this question, but cannot seem to get an answer. In general terms, what are the pixel x pixel dimensions of the stills? The PPI/DPI are meaningless. Now, they do need to be RGB 8-bit. Sixteen-bit and 32-bit will not work. CMYK will not work.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: New user with mulitple issues
                          DunedinDragon Level 1

640 x 480

730 x 548

840 x 563

574 x 342

619 x 480

1027 x 768

....and on...and on...and on..and on

I don't get your point of your question.  The pixel by pixel size of these photos are the same for PrE as they are for other video editors.  PrE has to do nothing more with rescaling than do the other video editors.  The other video editors deal with them without any performance degradation.  Why would I have to worry about the pixel size of these photos for PrE when I don't have to worry about it for Windows Live Movie maker or Power Director?  If you're suggesting that using PrE adds the burden of re-sizing my photos so it can perform adequately, then I'm suggesting PrE is inadequately written in comparison to it's competitors as they have no problem in doing what I'm expecting PrE to do.

Is it possible that the type of project I've selected is not appropriate for what I'm doing and is causing this problem as that's the only notable difference in base functionality between PrE and the other video editors?

• 10. Re: New user with mulitple issues
                            nealeh Level 5

Interesting point about the redline.  I've noted on some of the videos
                            the redline is there at some point or all the way through with some
                            green line as well.  Some videos have no line beneath the timeline at
                            all.  What exactly do these lines mean exactly?

Clips without lines are 'perfect'. It means you have chosen a Project Preset that PRE can natively edit.

A line may be red for two reasons:

1. You picked the wrong Preset so PRE cannot process it properly. If this is the case the line would be red as soon as you have loaded it.
                            2. You have applied some adjustment to a portion of your timeline (e.g. a Transition, Effect, or a scaling or changing opacity ....). These red lines mean that when you view your project in the monitor you are seeing a 'rough' version. If you 'render' those line by pressing [Enter] PRE will make a 'good' copy of that footage.

When you render those red line clips you should leave it alone until the line goes green. Green means that an effected clip now has a 'good' copy.

The size of these stills vary as do their bit depths.  However, these
                            are the same stills and audio files used in the other programs and it's
                            not a problem for them...why would it be a problem for PrE

The problem is that oversized stills take a lot of processing power to downscale them.This is NOT one of PRE's best points and you would be better to resize outside of PRE with  a graphics program (e.g. Photoshop Elements if you have it). For sizing use no more than 1000x750 for Standard Def or 2000x1500 for High Def. Note that no matter what the resolution of the pictures your camera takes they WILL be resized to meet your output format.

Example:

Standard Definition:

720x480 (NTSC) = 345,600. (Actually it is 640x480 = 307,200 due to pixel dimensions but let's not go there).

High Definition:

1920x1080 = 2,073,600

As for other things you may try work through this list (I know you have already done some but lets double check). I especially recomend you disable your anti-virus for the duration of your editing session - it (and especially so with McAfee) has been the cause of so many problems people report here.

Here are some general points you should work through to maximise your chances of success

• Install all Windows Updates.

• Install latest version of Apple QuickTime (v7.6.9 at time of writing). Even if you don't use QuickTime, PRE relies heavily on it.

• Install most recent graphics and sound drivers from the manufacturers web sites.
                            • Run Disk Cleanup.
                            • Run Defragmenter.
                            • Temporarily disable any anti-virus realtime scanning.

And give us some information about your clip and hardware:

Finally, if PRE just doesn't do what you want it to in terms of stability, performance and quality then yes, get your thirty-day refund and spend it elsewhere. Sony's Vegas product gets good reviews posted here from others that could not get an adequate installation with PRE.

Cheers,
                            --
                            Neale
                            Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

1 person found this helpful
                            • 11. Re: New user with mulitple issues
                              DunedinDragon Level 1

A line may be red for two reasons:

1. You picked the wrong Preset so PRE cannot process it properly. If this is the case the line would be red as soon as you have loaded it.

2. You have applied some adjustment to a portion of your timeline (e.g. a Transition, Effect, or a scaling or changing opacity ....). These red lines mean that when you view your project in the monitor you are seeing a 'rough' version. If you 'render' those line by pressing [Enter] PRE will make a 'good' copy of that footage.

AHA!!!

This seems to be getting to the answer somewhat!  I rendered as you mentioned and it cleared the lines and performed well, but at a pretty high cost in storage as would be expected.  I've tried projects with AVCHD 720p square pixel and DV-NTSC.  I'm somewhat flying blind without some clear references to understanding what project type would best suit me, so if you have any references, I'd appreciate it.

And give us some information about your clip and hardware:

* Use the *http://www.headbands.com/gspot/* to analyse the file and post screen image.

* What project preset did you use?

* Where did the clip come from?

* How did you get it into PRE?

* Post back here with the necessary information described here: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/459220?tstart=0

I've included a gspot screen capture of one of my .MOV projects.  As mentioned above I've tried a couple of differnt project presets but I'm kind of flying blind on that issue.

I'm not sure what you mean by "clips" in that there are no real video clips in my projects.  Each scene consists of a single still image on the video track which has a transition into it, a transition out, and on a secondary video track I have the titles with their own transitions.  I coordinate these elements with an audio track which is a .WAV file.  The clips (read stills) come from various sources on either the internet or digital photo.  I bring them in via the organizer and drop them onto the video timeline where they need to be and adjust where it begins and ends relative to the audio track and add the appropriate transitions or fade-out/fade-ins.

In terms of tuning appropriate levels of software, as mentioned before this has all been done previously in trying to troubleshoot the problems.  QuickTime and Windows updater are all up to current rev levels as are the display and graphics drivers.  I use tune-up utilities 2010 in scheduled mode (nightly) which keeps my disks defraged as well as a clean and tuned registry and eliminates any temp files.

When I run PRE I've been putting the computer into Tuneup's Turbo mode which puts most background processes to sleep and turns off some of the more hefty Windows appearence features, so there's not much likelihood you'll find much wrong with the overally performance and maintenance on this computer.

The specifics of the computer are:

------------------
                              System Information
                              ------------------
                              Time of this report: 12/27/2010, 08:35:50
                                     Machine name: DAVES-COMPUTER
                                 Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit (6.1, Build 7600) (7600.win7_gdr.100618-1621)
                                         Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
                              System Manufacturer: Gateway                        
                                     System Model: 830GM                          
                                             BIOS: Default System BIOS
                                        Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz (2 CPUs), ~3.0GHz
                                           Memory: 2048MB RAM
                              Available OS Memory: 2030MB RAM
                                        Page File: 1515MB used, 2545MB available
                                      Windows Dir: C:\Windows
                                  DirectX Version: DirectX 11
                              DX Setup Parameters: Not found
                                 User DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
                              System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
                                  DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
                                   DxDiag Version: 6.01.7600.16385 32bit Unicode

------------
                              DxDiag Notes
                              ------------
                                    Display Tab 1: No problems found.
                                      Sound Tab 1: The file MAudioFastTrackPro.sys is not digitally signed, which means that it has not been tested by Microsoft's Windows Hardware Quality Labs (WHQL).  You may be able to get a WHQL logo'd driver from the hardware manufacturer.
                                      Sound Tab 2: The file MAudioFastTrackPro.sys is not digitally signed, which means that it has not been tested by Microsoft's Windows Hardware Quality Labs (WHQL).  You may be able to get a WHQL logo'd driver from the hardware manufacturer.
                                        Input Tab: No problems found.

--------------------
                              DirectX Debug Levels
                              --------------------
                              Direct3D:    0/4 (retail)
                              DirectDraw:  0/4 (retail)
                              DirectInput: 0/5 (retail)
                              DirectMusic: 0/5 (retail)
                              DirectPlay:  0/9 (retail)
                              DirectSound: 0/5 (retail)
                              DirectShow:  0/6 (retail)

---------------
                              Display Devices
                              ---------------
                                        Card name: Radeon X1950 Series (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM)
                                     Manufacturer: ATI Technologies Inc.
                                        Chip type:
                                         DAC type: Internal DAC(400MHz)
                                       Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_7240&SUBSYS_0D021002&REV_00
                                   Display Memory: 1270 MB
                                 Dedicated Memory: 511 MB
                                    Shared Memory: 759 MB
                                     Current Mode: 1920 x 1080 (32 bit) (59Hz)
                                     Monitor Name: SyncMaster P2370(G)/P23700(G),Magic P2370G(Digital)
                                    Monitor Model: SyncMaster
                                       Monitor Id: SAM052A
                                      Native Mode: 1920 x 1080(p) (60.000Hz)
                                      Output Type: DVI
                                      Driver Name: atiumdag.dll,atiumdva.cap,atitmmxx
                              Driver File Version: 8.14.0010.0630 (English)
                                   Driver Version: 8.56.1.15
                                      DDI Version: 9Ex
                                     Driver Model: WDDM 1.0
                                Driver Attributes: Final Retail
                                 Driver Date/Size: 7/13/2009 20:14:55, 4030976 bytes
                                      WHQL Logo'd: Yes
                                  WHQL Date Stamp:
                                Device Identifier: {D7B71EE2-3100-11CF-C471-082DA1C2C535}
                                        Vendor ID: 0x1002
                                        Device ID: 0x7240
                                        SubSys ID: 0x0D021002
                                      Revision ID: 0x0000
                              Driver Strong Name: atiilhag.inf:ATI.Mfg.NTx86...1:ati2mtag_R580:8.56.1.15:pci\ven_1002&dev_7240
                                   Rank Of Driver: 00F42001
                                      Video Accel: ModeMPEG2_A ModeMPEG2_C
                                 Deinterlace Caps: {6E8329FF-B642-418B-BCF0-BCB6591E255F}: Format(In/Out)=(YUY2,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,1) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_PixelAdaptive
                                                   {335AA36E-7884-43A4-9C91-7F87FAF3E37E}: Format(In/Out)=(YUY2,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_BOBVerticalStretch
                                                   {5A54A0C9-C7EC-4BD9-8EDE-F3C75DC4393B}: Format(In/Out)=(YUY2,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY
                                                   {6E8329FF-B642-418B-BCF0-BCB6591E255F}: Format(In/Out)=(UYVY,UYVY) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,1) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_PixelAdaptive
                                                   {335AA36E-7884-43A4-9C91-7F87FAF3E37E}: Format(In/Out)=(UYVY,UYVY) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_BOBVerticalStretch
                                                   {5A54A0C9-C7EC-4BD9-8EDE-F3C75DC4393B}: Format(In/Out)=(UYVY,UYVY) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY
                                                   {3C5323C1-6FB7-44F5-9081-056BF2EE449D}: Format(In/Out)=(NV12,0x3231564e) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,2) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_PixelAdaptive
                                                   {552C0DAD-CCBC-420B-83C8-74943CF9F1A6}: Format(In/Out)=(NV12,0x3231564e) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,2) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_PixelAdaptive
                                                   {6E8329FF-B642-418B-BCF0-BCB6591E255F}: Format(In/Out)=(NV12,0x3231564e) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,1) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_PixelAdaptive
                                                   {335AA36E-7884-43A4-9C91-7F87FAF3E37E}: Format(In/Out)=(NV12,0x3231564e) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_BOBVerticalStretch
                                                   {5A54A0C9-C7EC-4BD9-8EDE-F3C75DC4393B}: Format(In/Out)=(NV12,0x3231564e) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY
                                     D3D9 Overlay: Not Supported
                                          DXVA-HD: Not Supported
                                     DDraw Status: Enabled
                                       D3D Status: Enabled
                                       AGP Status: Enabled

-------------
                              Sound Devices
                              -------------
                                          Description: Line 1/2 (M-Audio FastTrack Pro)
                              Default Sound Playback: Yes
                              Default Voice Playback: Yes
                                          Hardware ID: USB\VID_0763&PID_2012&REV_0100
                                      Manufacturer ID: 239
                                           Product ID: 65535
                                                 Type: WDM
                                          Driver Name: MAudioFastTrackPro.sys
                                       Driver Version: 5.10.0000.5134 (English)
                                          WHQL Logo'd: No
                                        Date and Size: 11/9/2009 13:56:10, 158600 bytes
                                          Other Files:
                                      Driver Provider: M-Audio
                                       HW Accel Level: Basic
                                            Cap Flags: 0xF1F
                                  Min/Max Sample Rate: 100, 200000
                              Static/Strm HW Mix Bufs: 1, 0
                              Static/Strm HW 3D Bufs: 0, 0
                                            HW Memory: 0
                                     Voice Management: No
                              EAX(tm) 2.0 Listen/Src: No, No
                                 I3DL2(tm) Listen/Src: No, No
                              Sensaura(tm) ZoomFX(tm): No

Description: S/PDIF (M-Audio FastTrack Pro)
                              Default Sound Playback: No
                              Default Voice Playback: No
                                          Hardware ID: USB\VID_0763&PID_2012&REV_0100
                                      Manufacturer ID: 239
                                           Product ID: 65535
                                                 Type: WDM
                                          WHQL Logo'd: No
                                          Other Files:
                                      Driver Provider: M-Audio
                                       HW Accel Level: Basic
                                            Cap Flags: 0xF1F
                                  Min/Max Sample Rate: 100, 200000
                              Static/Strm HW Mix Bufs: 1, 0
                              Static/Strm HW 3D Bufs: 0, 0
                                            HW Memory: 0
                                     Voice Management: No
                              EAX(tm) 2.0 Listen/Src: No, No
                                 I3DL2(tm) Listen/Src: No, No
                              Sensaura(tm) ZoomFX(tm): No

---------------------
                              Sound Capture Devices
                              ---------------------
                                          Description: Line 1/2 (M-Audio FastTrack Pro)
                                Default Sound Capture: Yes
                                Default Voice Capture: Yes
                                            Cap Flags: 0x1
                                         Format Flags: 0xFFFFF

Description: Line 3/4 (M-Audio FastTrack Pro)
                                Default Sound Capture: No
                                Default Voice Capture: No
                                            Cap Flags: 0x1
                                         Format Flags: 0xFFFFF

gspot.jpg

• 12. Re: New user with mulitple issues
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

Thank you. Those sizes are just fine. There is little reason to Import and use stills with much larger pixel x pixel dimensions, than the Project's Frame Size. Pushing around a lot of unused pixels can really slow a computer, and cause the system, or program to hang. That is why I asked about the pixel x pixel dimensions. Your seem to be just fine, so long as you are not also using several with many more pixels, than the Project's Frame Size.

As you have a perfectly tuned computer, with all the latest drivers and QT Player, plus all Windows updates, and are using adequately sized stills, I am at a loss to explain why you are having any issues at all. Things should work perfectly, just like the do for the vast majority of users.

Sorry that I cannot be of help, but good luck,

Hunt

• 13. Re: New user with mulitple issues
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9
                                  I'm somewhat flying blind without some clear references to understanding what project type would best suit me, so if you have any references, I'd appreciate it.

When one is using Video Assets, one should choose a Project Preset that matches that material as close to 100%, as is possible. PrE offers quite a few Presets, and knowing what you are starting with, will get you very close in most cases. You want to shoot for a 100% match between the Project Preset and the Video Assets. If one does NOT have a viable Preset, then converting the Video Assets to match a Project's Preset is the next course of action. When edited, one would just choose the desired Export/Share settings for their delivery scheme. Here, you start with what matches your Video Assets, and then determine how you need to Export/Share.

If one is working just with still images, things work the other way around - the opposite as when working with Video Assets. First, one determines what they will want to Export/Share to, say to Burn an NTSC DVD. Then, one would choose an NTSC DV Project Preset. They would Scale their still images to around the Frame Size of an NTSC DVD Project, i.e. 720 x 480 with a matching PAR, or 640 x 480 PAR = 1.0 (square pixels), with an approximate max of 1000 x 750 pixels. When edited, one just does the Burn to DVD. As you can see, this workflow is backward to the one using Video Assets.

It is also never a good idea to mix different source material in a single Project. One is far better off deciding what the best source material is, choose a Project Preset that matches 100%, and then convert the remainder of the Video material to match that. Mixing will almost always cause issues somewhere.

One has to think through things a bit, when planning the Project, and determine what they will be starting with, and in the case of a SlideShow (No Video), what they wish to end up with.

Good luck,

Hunt