5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 6, 2007 5:32 AM by Robert Hirst

Flex access to Sql DB on Solaris

tfiff Level 1
      Hi,
      What is the simplest method for a Flexbuilder 2 app to access sql data (preferably using ODBC)?
      Do we have to install something like Coldfusion or is there some flex adaptor that can do direct CRUD calls to the database?
      We would ideally prefer to not have any middleware between the app and database.
      The app is currently being controlled by a Twisted Python web server.

Thanks
      Steve
        • 1. Re: Flex access to Sql DB on Solaris
          ntsiii Level 3
          Flex 2 cannot connect natively to any database, or to any server, for that matter. You must either use LCDS(FDS) or one of the RPC protocols (HTTPService, Webservice, RemoteObject.)

LCDS (Live Cycle Data Service) is very robust and powerful, free for single processor, but quite costly for an enterprise implementation.

The RPC protocols require some server-side platform, but that can be almost anything.

Tracy
          • 2. Re: Flex access to Sql DB on Solaris
            tfiff Level 1
            Thanks for reply.
            The app currently uses Http service calls but this is starting to creak when a lot of db records are requested. We have turned off live scrolling in the Datagrids, but would it would be preferable to do some form of direct cursor paging of db records.
            I have seen comments about the SQL assembler adapter. Is this available in the LCDS and would it allow the flex app to do CRUD db calls direct?
            Steve
            • 3. Re: Flex access to Sql DB on Solaris
              ntsiii Level 3
              Yes, for very large datasets, LCDS with built-in paging support is the way to go. I can't be specific since I haven't used LCDS yet.

Tracy
              • 4. Re: Flex access to Sql DB on Solaris
                peterent Level 2
                I have recently been using the SQLAssembler which is part of LiveCycle Data Services (which is also packaged with ColdFusion 8). It is pretty easy to use and doesn't require you to do anything on the server but write some SQL into a configuration file.

LiveCycle Data Services Express is essentially free - it does have some restrictions, but it works nicely for proof-of-concept projects.
                • 5. Flex access to Sql DB on Solaris
                  Robert Hirst Level 1
                  I've recently found out about the SQLAssembler, and it looks really useful. The amount of coding it should save me is pretty significant.

I'm trying to get the SQLAssembler working with Tomcat 5.5 and an Access database (I know, I know) right now.

At the moment I'm being plagued by an RPC error which just won't seem to go away:

[RPC Fault faultString="There was an unhandled failure on the server. javax/transaction/SystemException" faultCode="Server.Processing" faultDetail="null"]

Anyway, I'm going to keep fiddling for a while, and maybe try the same config on the integrated JRun installation and see if that works. If I still don't get anywhere I'll start a thread in the FDS section with my config files.

edit:

Switching on debug logging shows that it's actually failing with "error: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: javax/transaction/SystemException"

Jarsearched inside all the ear/war/jar in the the lcds folder and Tomcat folder for this class, but no luck.

edit:

Installed ObjectWeb JOTM, and it's all working perfectly now. Glad I stumbled into the SQLAssembler today, as I was about to set about doing things the slow way