9 Replies Latest reply on Dec 26, 2010 2:20 PM by the_wine_snob

Is there a way to force for rendering ALL clips in work area?

Stavros F. Level 1

Is there a way to force for rendering ALL clips in work area? All clips: not only the ones with the red horizontal line indicating that they need rendering! I ask for this because the rendered clips preview very smoothly, but the unrendered ones do not! My source footage (and project) involves Full HD (1920*1080i 25fps).

• 1. Re: Is there a way to force for rendering ALL clips in work area?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Depending on which version of the product you're using, you may not need to. The area segments you need to render are those indicated

with a red line above them.

It could be that your system is underpowered for working with AVCHD video, which usually requires at least a quad core or i7 processor.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Is there a way to force for rendering ALL clips in work area?
            Stavros F. Level 1

My system and software: System ==> Mac mini (late 2009), CPU: 2.26GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, RAM: 2GB 1066MHz DDR3, OS: Mac OS X Version 10.6.5. Adobe products ==> Adobe Photoshop Elements 9 & Adobe Premiere Elements 9 (including Adobe Elements 9 Organizer)

About your answer, I understand that my system (Intel Core 2 Duo) is not as powered as need for smooth preview of the AVCHD files. However, for all the files rendered the playback becomes extremely smooth. So, my actual question is this: is there a way to "force" PRE9 to render ALL clips in work area, so that I will have smooth playback for ALL work area?

• 3. Re: Is there a way to force for rendering ALL clips in work area?
              the_wine_snob Level 9

If the WAB (Work Area Bar) is set to the full Duration of the Timeline, hitting Enter/Return should Render the full Timeline.

Note: it seems that there is a little glitch in the automatic extension of the WAB, once it has been set to a segment, in PrE 9. Usually, zooming the Timeline out (\ - Backslash key) and Dbl-clicking on the little "block" in the middle of the WAB, would automatically expand it to the full Duration. Now, if one has set the WAB, it appears that one needs to Click-drag on the "handles" on the WAB to extend it. [Steve G. reported this behavior.]

With the WAB extended, when you hit Enter/Return, do you NOT get a full Render of the Timeline?

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Is there a way to force for rendering ALL clips in work area?
                Stavros F. Level 1

Dear Bill Hunt,

You asked: "With the WAB extended, when you hit Enter/Return, do you NOT get a full Render of the Timeline?"

The answer is that I do NOT get a full render: only the clips with the red horizontal line above them above them (indicating that they need rendering) are being rendered (and after have the green line). The rest of the clips (with no horizontal line above them) do not render.

• 5. Re: Is there a way to force for rendering ALL clips in work area?
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

OK, and thanks for reporting. As for the Rendering, you will NOT get additional Rendering of Clips, with the green line, as PrE already has Rendered files for those. It will rely on those Render files, for playback, and ONLY do Rendering for the Clips (or Clip portions) with the red lines.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Is there a way to force for rendering ALL clips in work area?
                    Stavros F. Level 1

Dear Bill Hunt,

Thank you for your answer. Let me clarify that: you say that if clip imported in the timeline is not "red lined" (i.e.: need to be rendered) it CANNOT be rendered?

• 7. Re: Is there a way to force for rendering ALL clips in work area?
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

If a Clip does not need Rendering, it will not be Rendered.

Basically, what Rendering does is to convert the Clips, that do require Rendering, to DV-AVI (SD Projects on a PC). This will yield AVI files in the Media Cache, Render Files, and for playback, PrE will rely on those. If you look in the Render File folder, you will see a bunch of abstractly named files, but those files are now Linked in the PREL (Project file), and will be used by the program for playback.

If one were to remove those Render files, and then Open that Project in PrE, they'd receive a message, "Where is file 04u434ip0ow.AVI?" [Note: that is just an example of the abstract Render file name, and is not the actual name, that one would see.]. One could Ignore those now missing Render files, and where they were used, there would then be red lines over those Clips.

As Steve mentions, the Render files are used only for smoothest playback. As I use DV-AVI files for SD Projects on my PC, I will not need to Render for smoothest playback, until I make changes to the Clips, like overlay Titles, PiP, Effects, etc.. I might never Render the Timeline, even with those additions, but sometimes, I will Render a small segment many times, especially with animated Effects, as I adjust the parameters.

If one is not getting the smoothest playback, then Rendering all files requiring Rendering will usually improve playback greatly.

Good luck, and hope that this makes sense.

Hunt

• 8. Re: Is there a way to force for rendering ALL clips in work area?
                        Stavros F. Level 1

I think that I fully understanding now! Thank you both (Steve and Bill) for your clarifications.

• 9. Re: Is there a way to force for rendering ALL clips in work area?
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

You are most welcome. Rendering is commonly misunderstood, and other than Steve's books, is probably not fully addressed many other places.

Good luck,

Hunt