9 Replies Latest reply on Dec 27, 2010 8:16 AM by hurleyvcr

preview window does not display video

hurleyvcr

When I drag a clip to the time line,it will not play in the preview window.If I click on the preview window during playback,it shows me a frozen frame of that scene in the clip.I downloaded the latest driver for my Nvidia GTS 250 and it in the preview window fine until I rebooted the computer and now back to the same problem.It just shows me a target in the middle of the preview screen to adjust the frame but no image.

Am I missing something here?

• 1. Re: preview window does not display video
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Have you ensured you have the latest version of Quicktime,per the system requirements?

What kind of camcorder did you video come from and how did you get it into your computer?

Which project settings did you select when you started your Premiere Elements project?

Which version of the product are you using and on which operating system?

• 2. Re: preview window does not display video
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

When such happens, it is usually because of the source Video (that's why Steve asked where it came from and its full specs.), and possibly a mismatch between the source footage and the Project Preset. What Project Preset did you choose?

This ARTICLE will give you tips on the info that would be so very helpful, and also how to find some of it.

Good luck, and please let us know all about that source footage, and the Project Preset - plus your computer. Thanks.

Hunt

• 3. Re: preview window does not display video
              hurleyvcr Level 1

I have video footage that I downloaded to a

raid 0 drive (1TB) ,i7 -920,windows 7 64bit, from my old sony digital8 as mpeg2 format.Quicktime ver. is 7.6.9

I can play any of the footage fine inside the organizer window that has thumbnails .Just not in the edit window.Also I forgot to mention that the sound plays fine in the edit window.As far as presets go,should Elements 9 set to proper preset that you drag to the timeline?

What presets should I be looking for to play this footage?

• 4. Re: preview window does not display video

How did you get video from a Digital8 camcorder as an MPEG-2?

If you captured this video over a FireWire connection (as you should) you would get a DV-AVI on a PC or a DV-MOV on a Mac. Both of these formats will edit beautifully in a project set up for DV.

• 5. Re: preview window does not display video
                  hurleyvcr Level 1

Sorry Steve,Yes you are correct.It was quite a while ago I put them on the hard drive of my old machine with firewire,then burned my collection to disc.It was the disc copy I used to copy them to this new machine,which as you said was mpg2.

• 6. Re: preview window does not display video

Your problems will very likely go away if you capture your video over FireWire from that miniDV camcorder.

• 7. Re: preview window does not display video
                      hurleyvcr Level 1

The problem see to be with the video driver.I loaded the latest video driver from Nvidia and everything works fine.If I close the program and reopen it ,still fine but if I restart windows and open Elements 9,the problem reappears

I look at system info. and the driver shows that it has been updated to the latest driver.

It just seems to lose something from the latest driver update when restarting windows.

I can even use all the mpeg2 files I copied from disc...when its working.

• 8. Re: preview window does not display video
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

This is odd behavior. Normally, when one installs a video driver, it "sticks." It is almost as though there is a program, or process, that "rolls back" your video driver. Do you have any sort of "updater" running, either in Windows, or as a separate utility?

The reason that I ask about that is the driver updater in Windows is usually off by about six, or more, months, and the same for many auto-updating utilities.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: preview window does not display video
                          hurleyvcr Level 1

I have now turned windows 7 updater off (check for updates but let me choose wether to download and install)

There is another thread on here with the exact same problem but I can't find it now.