2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 26, 2010 2:18 PM by the_wine_snob

What camcorder to edit on laptop?

ghijohansson

My question is rhetorical, but there is a problem.

Unless I have  misunderstood something, people don't like to edit AVCHD because expensive  hardware is needed. And Adobe's opinion about AVCHD is made clear by the fact  that Premiere Elements can only import it, not export it.

Premiere  Elements works better with miniDV and HDV. A few years ago miniDV dominated both  among cheap camcorders and prosumer models. But today there are hardly any more  cheap camcorders which use miniDV or HDV. They are gradually replaced by AVCHD.  Among prosumer models, miniDV and HDV still dominate but are gradually replaced  by tapeless solutions with higher bitrate which Premiere Elements can't  handle.

Editing miniDV on a laptop works fine for me, and it should be  possible to edit HDV on a newer laptop. But I have the impression that it will  take a while until even expensive laptops are suitable for editing  AVCHD.

So I would like to know what to do when the manufacturers stop  selling camcorders which use miniDV or HDV. Because I want to continue create  television programs on a laptop with an editing program which is easy to use.  Earlier I used expensive professional programs but Premiere Elements is better  for me.

• 2. Re: What camcorder to edit on laptop?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

I agree with John T's link. I use a Sager (older model now), but love it. Will be replacing that one with a newer version and Win7 - 64 very soon. Besides high specs. in all sub-systems, the Sagers also allow up to 3x internal HDD's. That is unheard of in most laptops, and is very, very useful for video editing.

As for AVCHD, when one has the CPU horsepower to decode and edit it, most have zero issues. As for Exporting/Sharing TO AVCHD, PrE does very close - H.264. AVCHD is always H.264, but all H.264 is not AVCHD, which is a sub-set, and is relegated almost 100% as a camera-only format w/ the H.264 CODEC.

Do you have a particular reason to Export/Share to pure AVCHD? For the vast majority, H.264 (one of the accepted BD formats/CODEC's) is perfectly fine.

Good luck,

Hunt