6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 27, 2010 11:38 AM by Todd_Kopriva

Exporting/splitting video/project to multiple files by time or size limit?

utis2

Hi, I know this is a really simple question, but after spending some time and researching, still could not figure out. I.e. if I want to export large video to youtube, I need multiple files of 15minutes: file1.mpg file2.mpg etc.. In other programs you can set each file time or size for this in encode/export dialog. Doing each file manually is not professional option. Hope you can open my eyes as this is required in everyday work as I understand.. Thanks!

• 1. Re: Exporting/splitting video/project to multiple files by time or size limit?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Probably the easiest way to split a Timeline and Export as individual files, is to type into the TimeCode box, say 00:15:00:00, and the CTI (Current Time Indicator) will jump to that point. Place a Marker at that point. Now, adjust the WAB (Work Area Bar) to span from 00;00;00;00 to 00:15:00:00. Export that segment, and check Export Work Area. Repeat, but this time type in 00;30;00;00 and place the next Marker. Adjust the WAB to span from Marker #1 to #2, and repeat the Export. Keep this up, until you have all the segments that you need.

Other workflows would be to create a unique Sequence for each 15 min. segment, and Export the total Timeline.

Probably a few other ways too, and maybe some will even be easier.

I do not know of a direct way to set a Duration, and then just automatically Export that Duration, automatically advancing to the next segment of that Duration. That is seldom the way that one edits. If it's something that you feel is really useful, then please file a Feature Request.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Exporting/splitting video/project to multiple files by time or size limit?
            Jim_Simon Level 8

Doing each file manually is not professional option.

I would have to disagree.  Since consumers are the primary users of YouTube, and since most Professionals use a distribution medium that allows the full program material in one export, the very need for what you are asking is a consumer issue.  Professionals generally don't need it.

• 3. Re: Exporting/splitting video/project to multiple files by time or size limit?
              Todd_Kopriva Level 8

As Bill said, you can file a feature request for this if you really need it, but I'll suggest a reason that doing this automatically doesn't seem like a good idea:

As a video editor, your primary task and skill is cutting video footage at the right places and putting the pieces together such that the whole tells a story or communicates what you want to communicate. If you have a piece of software automatically chop your movie at an arbitrary time, it will almost certainly make that cut at a time other than when a skilled video editor would.

You'll notice that people who cut long videos into ten- or fifteen-minute chunks for YouTube (or any similar service) tend to make their cuts at times other than 10:00 or 15:00; they make them at the time just before the time limit that corresponds with a scene change or some other natural cut point.

All that said, After Effects does have "segment settings". See this page for information about how they work and why they exist, and then you can consider whether you want to make a  feature request for something similar in Premiere Pro.

• 4. Re: Exporting/splitting video/project to multiple files by time or size limit?
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Todd,

I agree completely. Having my Timeline sliced and diced by any particular time constraint would be uncomfortable for me, at the very best.

If I have to do the Cutting, I want complete control, and will then edit to those time constraints - I would not want the 15 min. mark to hit 1/4 way through an important Transition, or cut off the "punch line," which would not appear until the viewer got to Part X.

If I need to hit a "mark," I will tighten the edit, or pad it a bit, to hit that mark.

Just my way of thinking,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Exporting/splitting video/project to multiple files by time or size limit?
                  utis2 Level 1

Well, I would partially disagree to your disagreement. Youtube example is only one of many. Working with hidef hiquality videos without large entereprise infrastructure for independant studio means you have to slice many files automatically to transport them sometimes via 2GB FAT file size limit, 4.7GB DVD limits, 32GB CF or 50GB DL BD and etc. Large files are naturally limited when transporting and moving around either via physical medium either internet and therefore prone to corruptions...

In other words, from your answer I would assume that Premiere is used only on LAN's directly attached to expensive media distribution systems?

Thanks for your input.

• 6. Re: Exporting/splitting video/project to multiple files by time or size limit?
                    Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Dividing by file size is different from dividing by time. It's different functionality, for a different reason. If you read the page that I linked to that describes the After Effects feature, you'll see that it is for the purpose that you described in your more recent post.

As I said, if you want this in Premiere Pro, submit a feature request. Be sure to describe how you want it to work and why.