7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 28, 2010 7:55 AM by the_wine_snob

Clips Not Snapping together in Pre 9

Will_Erickson.

I recently got the program and when I'm editing in timeline and I try to put one shot after another the clip doesn't "snap" on making it much harder to clips after each other and sync them to beats in the music.  Sorry for the poor discription but I really need help.

• 1. Re: Clips Not Snapping together in Pre 9
          Stavros F. Level 1

When placing a clip in the timeline next to another, try (while placing it, before releasing the mouse-button) to get it as close as the previous clip, and it should "snap" to it. Does this work for you?

However, if you are having problems with such a basic procedure, you should use the help menu of the program in order to get help, or you should search for some basic video tutorials that will demonstrate these procedures.

• 2. Re: Clips Not Snapping together in Pre 9
            nealeh Level 5

You may have accidentally turned snap off. Press the [S] key. This toggles snap on/off.

Cheers,
            --
            Neale
            Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

2 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Clips Not Snapping together in Pre 9
              the_wine_snob Level 9

The S key toggle has gotten a lot of folk. It's easy to accidentally hit it, and one is not really aware that they have toggled Snap. Maybe Neale can educate me here, but PrPro also has a Snap icon, that shows when Snap is enabled. One can use it, or can use the S key. At least in that program, one can see the Snap icon, and it'll tell them when Snap has been turned ON, or OFF. Does PrE 9 have a Snap icon (along with the S key)? PrE 4 only had the menu Timeline>Snap or the S key.

Also a caveat. With Snap ON, be a bit gentle, when butting Clips up. If one "slams" the Clips into each other, a Frame, or two, of the preceding Clip can be sheared off, and it goes to the end of the Timeline, where it can very easily become an "Orphan," causing the Timeline's Duration to be longer, than one intends.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Clips Not Snapping together in Pre 9
                Will_Erickson. Level 1

Okay thanks.  I used to use Vegas where s would split a clip so I probably hit it out of habit.

• 5. Re: Clips Not Snapping together in Pre 9
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

For "splitting a Clip," you would want to do one of two things:

Position the CTI (Current Time Indicator w/ the red Edit Line), where you wish to "split," and then hit Ctrl+K to Cut

Go to the exact spot that you wish to Cut, and use the Razor/Scissors Tool to do the same thing.

Note: this does NOT affect your original source footage, but only how the Timeline will Export/Share.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Clips Not Snapping together in Pre 9
                    nealeh Level 5

No icon that I can see.

Cheers,
                    --
                    Neale
                    Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 7. Re: Clips Not Snapping together in Pre 9
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Neale,

Thanks for the confirmation. I knew that there was not one in PrE 4.0, though the contemporary PrPro 2.0 had it. Some features trickle down from PrPro to PrE, and I did not know if that was one.

Then, it seems that the only way to know the Snap Mode is to go to the Timeline>Snap drop-down menu from the Toolbar and look to see if Snap is checked.

Much appreciated,

Hunt