9 Replies Latest reply on Dec 28, 2010 8:20 AM by Sommere11

Editing and Exporting AVCHD 24p footage in premiere elements?

Sommere11 Level 1

I recently bought a panasonic Tm-700 camcorder. I recorded some footage in the digital cinema mode, which records 24p footage ( from 60i ). Upon opening up a new project and editing it I went to save the file as an MPEG. I exported it in one of the 720p modes and changed the frame size to 1920 x 1080. After looking at the saved file, it was interlaced!!! In doing some research I found someone that said because the footage is 24p from 60i, I would have to perform some operation before using the footage in a editing program. Could someone please tell me how to correctly import my Full HD 24p footage and export it as a file that isn't interlaced? The Interlaced footage really bugs me. P.S- I really don't want to have to buy any programs to use my footage. Please help!!!

• 1. Re: Editing and Exporting AVCHD 24p footage in premiere elements?
          Stavros F. Level 1

A question to start with: ok, your camcorder shoots progressive, but does it save it within an interlaced stream?

• 2. Re: Editing and Exporting AVCHD 24p footage in premiere elements?
            Sommere11 Level 1

Yes. Tm700 embeds 24p in a 60i Stream.

• 3. Re: Editing and Exporting AVCHD 24p footage in premiere elements?
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I'm not clear how you're getting 24p from this camcorder.

According the specs on the Panasonic site, it shoots 60i and 60p. (I don't recommend shooting in 60p. It can make the video incompatible with Premiere Elements.)

http://panasonic.net/avc/camcorder/hd/hs700_tm700_sd700/specifications.html

If you're shooting in HA mode at 60i, you should be able to edit this footage if you have Premiere Elements set up for AVCHD 1920x1080 5.1 audio.

• 5. Re: Editing and Exporting AVCHD 24p footage in premiere elements?
                Stavros F. Level 1

You (Sommere11) said: "Yes. Tm700 embeds 24p in a 60i Stream."

That makes me suspect that PRE9 treats your footage as 60i rather that 24p. You could use a conversion program to convert 60i to 24p, but then I don't know how much of quality loss you would have.

What exactly is the (visible) problem if you let PRE9 treat your footage as 60i? I understand that (typically) the output would be tagged as interlaced, but do you actually see visible interlaced artifacts?

• 6. Re: Editing and Exporting AVCHD 24p footage in premiere elements?
                  Sommere11 Level 1

Yes. The interlacing is terribly visible. If I were to use a conversion program, what would i use? Would it be free? How would i use it? Working with HD is new to me and so is the progressive format. I just got this camera and on the screen it looks amazing, so it is quite frustrating when I can't create a final product that is representative of the cameras abilities.

• 7. Re: Editing and Exporting AVCHD 24p footage in premiere elements?
                    Stavros F. Level 1

The problem, in my opinion, is that your source footage is NOT interlaced: it is just "packed" inside an "interlaced stream" (if I may say so). So I am not familiar with the tools you need to use. For instance, if you were shooting REAL interlaced footage, things would be (I suppose) much more easy to handle.

Hope that other members of this forum could come up with a solution.

• 8. Re: Editing and Exporting AVCHD 24p footage in premiere elements?
                      Ted Smith Level 3

Why did you do this-?

"I exported it in one of the 720p modes and changed the frame size to 1920 x 1080."

I think there is no point in exporting in anything other than the resolution the original material was shot in. Any other setting will deterioate it in some way.

What is the purpose of your cinema mode anyway? (Are you are going to use the material as a master to print a film reel to show in a film theatre?)

Unfortunately if you shoot in lower resolutions than the camera is capable of it will always be inferior when played on a full HD TV set and often different and unpredictable when played on various TV sets or computer players and even different computer video cards.

Of course full HD will also always be inferior if played on anything but a full HD 1920x1080 TV set

1080 divided by 720 is an odd number (1.5) therefore if the camera was really a 1920 x 1080 then using 720 means you are trying to squeeze 2 pixels into a space that is only 1.5 high.

Is there any situation where you can see a good picture without "interlacing" on your computer?

When you produce a DVD from the project does it still exhibit interlacing on your TV set? If so the problerm could be with your computer card.

• 9. Re: Editing and Exporting AVCHD 24p footage in premiere elements?
                        Sommere11 Level 1

In premiere I chose the 720p export mode and changed the frame size to 1920 x 1080. I did this because in premiere elements 7, which is what I'm using, there are no progressive export formats. The exported file wasn't at a 720p resolution, (it was interlaced full hd) because I had only used the 720p preset, and then changed it to suit my needs. One of the main reasons I bought the camera was for the 24p Digital cinema mode. I'm not showing it in a theater, but I want the professional film look. I have no software to convert frame rates so to achieve this look I have to shoot my original footage in the frame rate I want.  When I view these raw files on my computer there is no problem and they look amazing. It is only when i bring them into my editor that everything changes to interlaced. I think it happens when I setup my project. The only Full HD setup modes are interlaced. There is no support for progressive Full HD footage, so even when I play around with the settings, I end up with a project already setup for interlaced footage from the start. I have tried to intall setup modes which support full hd 24p made by a user "Jkent63" but it didn't work, probably because he made them for elements 8 and the files weren't compatible. I have started looking into converting the files from AVCHD to something more editing friendly before bringing them into elements, but everything I've tried has either Interlaced the footage, or drastically reduced the quality to standard definition. I've seen many videos, ( manly on youtube) of the Tm700 in action at 24p, so it's definitely possible, I just can't seem to work out how to do it. I know it's probable that they have a better editing program, but I feel that it should still be possible on premiere elements one way or another. Thanks for all the replies by the way. Please continue!!!