8 Replies Latest reply on Dec 27, 2010 7:16 PM by the_wine_snob

Flip AVI files does not import on Premiere 9

robcasp

Got the Adobe Premiere Elements 9 for Christmas.  I tried importing avi files from my flip (640 x 480) but all I get are blank screens of the video even on preview.  I've been fiddling on this for a couple hours and I'm really disappointed so far at the lack of intuitiveness of this product.  Anyone know why I'm getting blank clips? Help would be appreciated.  Otherwise I'll just take it back and hope I get a full refund.  I'll just stick with the Windows Movie Maker, it seems alot simplier and it's FREE!

• 1. Re: Flip AVI files does not import on Premiere 9
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

This FAQ Entry on Flip camera footage might be useful.

Also, the file format is virtually meaningless, as it is but a "wrapper." This ARTICLE will give you background on those "wrappers."

I also highly recommend Steve Grisetti's Basic Training articles on Muvipix.

This FAQ Entry might be useful too, though it was written for PrE 8.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Flip AVI files does not import on Premiere 9
            Stavros F. Level 1

Do you import directly from your camcorder into Premiere Elements 9? If you do, could you try first importing files from the camcorder to the hard drive and then import from the hard drive to Premiere Elements 9 through "files and folders" import option?

Another option could be transforming your footage (source video files) to a more "standard" format (such as DV-AVI for PC and DV-MOV for Mac) before importing them to Premiere Elements 9.

Let us know how all this will work out for you.

• 3. Re: Flip AVI files does not import on Premiere 9
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Are you usually a fully licensed and registered copy of Premiere Elements 9?

Have you installed the latest version of Quicktime?

When you started your Premiere Elements project, did you choose the settings for a 640x480 Flip cam?

Did you use Premiere Elements Get Media/From Flip Camcorders tool to import the video from the camcorder to your project?

• 4. Re: Flip AVI files does not import on Premiere 9
                robcasp Level 1

Thanks for your reply.  I'll have to review the FAQ information.  I guess not all .AVI files are the same.  I've not had any problems though with AVI exported from my Flip.  The format can be directly uploaded into YouTube.  I don't see why Adobe would have any problems with it.

• 5. Re: Flip AVI files does not import on Premiere 9
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Everything hinges on what is inside the AVI "wrapper." It is almost like saying "I have a bag full of something, and it will not work doing something else." That bag could contain gold coins, or used cat litter. While the possibilities are not nearly THAT broad, you get the idea? That was the purpose of that linked article - to get the word out, that AVI is almost meaningless (just like MOV, WMV, etc.), and the container can hold all sorts of stuff.

With AVI, one might have CODEC's from Cinepak by Radius to Xvid, and almost anything in between. Some camera mfgrs. are putting the H.264 CODEC (normally associated with MP4 and AVCHD) into an AVI wrapper. Personally, I feel that such action is a horrible disservice to the users, as it clouds their understanding of the elemental unit - the CODEC.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Flip AVI files does not import on Premiere 9
                    robcasp Level 1

I actually have the AVI video files in folder in my drive.  I don't import directly from the Flip.  The Flip has its own software and then I would export it and save to disk.

I ended up having to convert the AVI files into MP4 using VLC Media Player and it worked.   But this means that I would have to convert all of my files which is too cumbersome.

I can't understand why Adobe Premiere Software can't not handle a video format (640 x 480) that can be directly uploaded into Youtube.  I've not had any problems with any other software prior to using this one.  The only difference is that this software is not free.  So go figure.

• 7. Re: Flip AVI files does not import on Premiere 9
                      robcasp Level 1

This copy of Adobe Premiere Elements 9 I got for Christmas and its legit from Best Buy.  I've installed it but have yet to register because I may not want to keep it if it can't handle avi videos (640 x 480) exported from my Flip camera.

I do have quicktime installed on my computer.  It's version 7.6.7 I believe there is a 7.6.9 version.

I chose the correct setting when I started Premiere but even so when you drag the clip into the scene it will make the change for you if its not correct.  I wonder why the software doesn't do this automatically.

I did use get media from Flip but it does not see the device at all.

• 8. Re: Flip AVI files does not import on Premiere 9
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Whether PrE 9 can handle the AVI files, will depend on exactly what is inside the AVI "wrapper."

Good luck,

Hunt