8 Replies Latest reply on Dec 29, 2010 8:32 AM by the_wine_snob

Video program freezing up

camera shy again Level 1

I am presently using "Adobe Premiere Elements 2.0"  video editing software and happy with it.  Few days ago the program was running slow so I closed it and re-booted the computer.  The program wants to load but is placing my time line in broken segments and moving my monitor screen down  out of position to the  time line area also freezes up.  Tried uninstalling and re-installed "Premiere Elements" again but same thing.  Did a defrag, virus scan etc.  All my other video production are having the same problem.

Thanks,

Gil

• 1. Re: Video program freezing up
          pwillener Level 8

Please post your question/problem in the appropriate product forum, e.g. http://forums.adobe.com/community/premiere_elements

• 2. Re: Video program freezing up
            pwillener Level 8

P.S. don't forget to include some environment information, e.g. your operating system & version.

• 3. Re: Video program freezing up
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum, although the wrong one. The PrE forum has been linked to above. [Thanks for posting that link.]

When you do post there, this ARTICLE will give you tips on what info would be so very useful.

The users there are very friendly, and can solve almost any problem. See you there!

Hunt

• 4. Re: Video program freezing up
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Premiere Elements 2 will only work well on Windows XP. It's also a 7 year old program.

Are you running Windows XP? How fast is your processor and how much free, defragmented space is on your hard drive?

If your computer is 7 years old, you may not have the power or hard drive space to edit video.

• 5. Re: Video program freezing up
                  nealeh Level 5

I'm fascinated by your user name (how did you do it?) How do users search for posts you've made (or does the normally rotated/mirrored name work)?

Cheers,
                  --
                  Neale
                  Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 6. Re: Video program freezing up
                    nealeh Level 5

Although many dispute it if something works one day but not the next then something changed.

If you have a System Restore point from a day when it worked then restore to that point (after creating a new restore point for you current configuration) and see if that makes any difference.

Are your video/sound drivers and QuickTime up to date? Although normally the advice is to bring them right up to date you might want to see if an automatic update has changed them. It could well be that the current drivers are what has caused the problem (while rare there are documented cases of bad current drivers and when reverting to an older version that fixed the problem).

Also try disabling your anti-virus software before starting a PRE session to see if that makes any difference (would you be using McAfee perchance?).

Cheers,
                    --
                    Neale
                    Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 7. Re: Video program freezing up
                      the_wine_snob Level 9
                      I'm fascinated by your user name (how did you do it?)

Unicode is the key...

Hunt

• 8. Re: Video program freezing up
                        the_wine_snob Level 9
                        Although many dispute it if something works one day but not the next then something changed.

I'd never refute THAT statement...

Actually, I agree 100%. Sometimes, however, the trick is finding out WHAT has changed. Often, it'll be new software, or new hardware, or maybe just an OS update, or hot-fix. The System Restore is the first course of action I would use, unless I knew that a problem developed, just after installing _____.

To the OP - good luck, and see, I told you the folk here were friendly, and usually very helpful.

Hunt