6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 30, 2010 12:58 AM by madudo

G12: XMP not opened after raw edit

madudo

Hi all,

yesterday I got my new Canon G12. I only work in RAW and I edited the G12 CR2 files as usual and save the settings in xmp files. The xmp files are written to disk as usual BUT: I do not get the little icons in Bridge indicating that there are settings and crops for the CR2 files. And when I reopen (the previousely edited) CR2 files the settings and crops are not there...

What strikes me is that the xmp files are correcly written to disk and are readable (and the content looks reasonable opened wit a text editor). But the xmps are not read again by Bridge or Camera Raw. Any idea why this happens??

Some more info: tried it on 2 computers (Windows Vista and 7). All the latest updates for PS5 and CameraRaw are installed. The xmp system works very well with my 2 other camers (5D and 400D). And funnyly: if I convert the G12 files to DNG then everything works perfecly (the icons are visible and the settings preserved). But I would prefer to work with xmps for the G12, too.

There must be something to the xmps written for the G12 so that they are disregarded by Bridge and Camera Raw. Any help is highly appreciated...

Cheers - Udo

• 1. Re: G12: XMP not opened after raw edit
          Noel Carboni Level 7

Camera Raw can be set to read from sidecar XMP files -OR- a central Camera Raw database, depending on a setting you control.

Is it possible the setting has been changed to the latter?

ACRPrefsIcon.jpg

ACRPrefsDialog.jpg

-Noel

• 2. Re: G12: XMP not opened after raw edit
            madudo Level 1

ACR is still set to use the xmp sidecar files. It works fine with my 2 other cameras. And ACR actually writes the xmp file also for the G12. But it doesn't read/recognize them afterwards - just for the Canon G12...

But nevertheless thanks for your answer!

Cheers - Udo

• 3. Re: G12: XMP not opened after raw edit
              Curt Y Level 7

You need at least acr 6.3 to read G12 files.

Also, make sure you have formated the card in the G12 camera.  Have seen similar problems where person had more than one model of camera and the cards got mixed up and all the data would not read correctly.

• 4. Re: G12: XMP not opened after raw edit
                madudo Level 1

I have the very latest ACR and the cards are formatted in the camera. And ACR CAN correctly read the G12 raw files and I can edit them, yes, this is not the problem. And then I click OK in ACR and the xmp file with the ACR settings is written to the HD. I can see it there with the correct date and time stamp. And I can open it with a text editor and it is correct XML. This is the good part of the story.

BUT: although the xmp file with the ACR editing settings is there next to the CR2 file, Bridge doesn't indicate that the raw picture has been edited (no little icons for crop and levels). And if I reopen the CR2 file in ACR then all the settings I previously did (and ACR did write them into xmp) are gone.

ACR (and Bridge) does not see or does disregard the xmp files it has written 2 minutes ago. This is the issue. This happens only with the G12 (everything is fine with 5D and 400D). My work around is to convert the G12 CR2 files into DNG format. This works - the settings are written into the DNG file and they are not lost. But it would be really nice if I could keep the same workflow as for my 5D and 400D, which is: work with CR2 and XMP.

It is not a Windows or PC issue because ACR/Bridge behaves the same on my laptop (different windows than my PC and 64 bit instead of 32 bit PS). There must be something inside the XMP files specifically for the G12 so that ACR cannot read and interpret them correctly - and then it is an Adobe issue.

Is there anybody else using a G12 with raw files and XMP storage? Does it work  for for you?

Cheers - Udo

• 5. Re: G12: XMP not opened after raw edit
                  Level 4

madudo wrote:

… although the xmp file with the ACR editing settings is there next to the CR2 file, Bridge doesn't indicate that the raw picture has been edited (no little icons for crop and levels)…

Try Purging the Cache for the offending folder(s) through the Tools menu in Bridge.  It sounds like yet another example of all-too-common Bridge cache corruption.

Wo Tai Lao Le

我太老了

• 6. Re: G12: XMP not opened after raw edit
                    madudo Level 1

I cleared the cache for the folder and also for the CR2s, didn't change anything...

I really wonder if other G12 owners can successfully edit those raws, store the settings to sidecar files and then reopen the raws with the individual edits/settings still available. Anybody done that so far?

Cheers - Udo