9 Replies Latest reply on Jan 3, 2011 5:21 PM by Warrior of Rohan

Premiere Pro verus Premiere Elements

Warrior of Rohan

I am going to be copying in and editing a large amount of old VHS tapes.  I mainly want to delete out blanks, merge clips together and especially try to improve brightness, contrast etc. like I do in Photoshop for stills.  I wanted to know if Premiere Pro would do this much better than Premiere Elements.  I am not worried about costs but more about results.  I have a whole year to edit them as it will be a Xmas present for next year. Thanks for any help or advice.

Joe

• 1. Re: Premiere Pro verus Premiere Elements
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Joe,

For Effects, such as Levels, Highlight & Shadow, and especially for doing CC (Color Correction) work, PrPro wins, hands down!

PrE will handle the editing that you describe, just fine, however, it offers those Effects ONLY in "automatic" mode. In PrPro, besides having many, many more options, all can be set to manual, or are manual to start with. Also, the CC options in PrPro are vast, compared to the limited CC Effects in PrE.

If you have a lot of VHS tapes, I would weigh the prices of the Canopus A-D bridges, like the Canopus/Grass Valley AVDC-110 and their 300. The 300 offers TimeBase correction in the box, and that can save a lot of time and effort in the NLE. Those TB corrections CAN be done in the NLE, but the AVDC-300 will handle most of them with a few settings, when you input the VHS tapes - big time-saver, and quite easy to do. However, the AVDC-300 is more expensive, so you pay for the TB corrections. With the AVDC-110, you pay, but on the other end - with your time. Before you buy, think about the number of tapes, and how much time you wish to save. For me, the 300's capabilities justify the price differences, but that is just my opinion.

For some general Analog to Digital, this ARTICLE might be useful.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Premiere Pro verus Premiere Elements
            Warrior of Rohan Level 1

Hi Bill:

Thanks for the advice, especiualy opn the Canopus digital converter.  I had been treying to find a good quality video capture card and could not see to find anything. I tried using a Pinnacle system thru my USB port.  Worked okay but not sure about quality.  The ADSVC300 going thru Firewire seems a better solution.

I have a Quadro FX 1800 video card so shoul dhave the HP to do the editing.  Of course have to teach myself first.

Think I will also go with Premiere Pro CS5 so I can do whatever I need to the videos.

Now for a big drive to store them on as they are huge.

Thanks again.

Joe

• 3. Re: Premiere Pro verus Premiere Elements
              Peru Bob Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Check the "Hardware" forum to make sure your computer is up to handling Pro.  It takes much more resources then Elements.

• 4. Re: Premiere Pro verus Premiere Elements
                John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

My CS5/AVCHD 1st Impressions http://forums.adobe.com/thread/652694?tstart=0 includes a link to the computer I built... since the GTX 285 is no longer sold, I would now go with a GTX 570 that is cooler and quieter and faster

A similar computer would FLY for editing SD video from that converter

• 5. Re: Premiere Pro verus Premiere Elements
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

One of the beautiful things about using an A-D bridge is that one can then do the Capture via PrE/PrPro, without having to deal with other software. Note: you will NOT have Device Control, as your VHS deck/camera will be connected via composite cables, but that is not a big deal. One just sits with the remote for that deck/camera in one hand, and the mouse in the other. Start the Capture, and immediately start the VHS playback. At most, you will end up with a few black Frames, that can be cut out in editing. I have gotten pretty good at this, though am not ambidextrous, by any stretch.

Good luck, and let us know how you proceed, and how well it works.

Hunt

PS - even with good capture cards, and their software, it is very, very common to then have to deal with OOS (Out Of Sync) issues with the resulting files. Also, not all capture software, supplied with those cards, will give you a DV-AVI Type II file w/ 48KHz 16-bit PCM/WAV, which is as good as it gets. You do NOT want a capture to MPEG, or WMV.

• 6. Re: Premiere Pro verus Premiere Elements
                    Warrior of Rohan Level 1

Thanks for all the advice.  No problem on the hardware side as I have an i7-950 with 12GB of Ram.

Most tapes are 2 hours long so I am going to just let it run/capture and come back (hopefully) before its done.  Is there anyway to stop the capture automatically when it reaches the end of the tape using A-D bridge and Pr/Pro?

Thanks again.

• 7. Re: Premiere Pro verus Premiere Elements
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

That is a good question. As I am always logging the shots on the VHS tapes, I have never looked into how Capture Logging might, or might not work with an A-D bridge. Maybe others will have experience, and can point you in the right direction.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Premiere Pro verus Premiere Elements
                        Warrior of Rohan Level 1

Hello again:  I have a ADVC-300 and Premiere Pro. Been going through online training on PrPro and am excited about the capabilities.  However, when I try to capture video from my VCR with PrPro it says can't activate recorder, try resetting camera.  My guess is this is caused by not selecting the proper input when I set up the sequence presets.  There are a million choices and I have no idea what to select for analog coming in thru the ADVC.  Since it converts analog to digital will PrPro see digital signal coming in?  So what preset should I use?

I have ADSVC set to analog in.  Think dip switches are all set correctly. Have it connected to Firewire port on PC.

Thanks for any help and advice.

Joe

• 9. Re: Premiere Pro verus Premiere Elements
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

There are some switch setting for the Canopus, and you will need to look over the documentation to find those.

For VHS material, I would set up a DV NTSC (or PAL) Sequence, and set all Capture to match.

As for Device Control, you will not have any, as your VCR deck is attached via composite cables, so they are one-way only. Still, with the VCR's remote in one hand, and the mouse in the other, you can start Capture in PrPro, and then hit Play on the VCR's remote, with the tape cued up. At the worst, you'll have 30 Frames to Cut out from the Captured material.

Good luck, and hope that helps,

Hunt