10 Replies Latest reply on Jan 2, 2011 12:13 PM by Steve Grisetti

SD video getting exported at HD size with black borders

gregmetrovan

This is my first time using PRE (version 9), so please be gentle...

I did a capture of some SD video from my old camera through my Hauppauge HD PVR to MP4. Looks good in Windows Media Player, no black borders.

Import into Premier Elements 9 to do my editing, all good, no black borders in the editing window or preview window..

But when I'm done and burn to DVD or export to any format (MP4, FLV, AVI) or upload to YouTube (just to try it), the video is widescreen but the picture appears smaller than 480 and there are black borders around all sides.

It wouldn't be SO bad if there were just black borders on the left and right sides, but they're all the way around, and this shrinks the actual image.

I'm sure this is some basic setting somewhere in PRE, but I can't seem to find it to make a difference.

Can someone please help? Thank you so much.

Greg

• 1. Re: SD video getting exported at HD size with black borders
          Stavros F. Level 1

Lets start with the basic settings: Do you keep the same aspect ratio for input and output? I mean:

if your footage is 4:3 do you make a project that is 4:3?

If your footage is 16:9 do you make a project that is 16:9?

• 2. Re: SD video getting exported at HD size with black borders
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to PrE and to the forum,

So, you are starting with SD material, up-rezzing it to HD, and then down-rezzing it again for Export/Share. Is that correct?

The up-rezzing and down-rezzing will be causing several issues with regard to quality, and my guess is that those operations might also be causing issue with the PAR (Pixel Aspect Ratio).

Now, when one gets black borders, there is usually a mis-match between the source footage and the Project Preset.

Let's start with the source material: what are the dimensions and full specs. of those converted HD files?

When you did a New Project, what Project Preset did you choose?

Also, with many Export/Share options, one can produce AV files with different dimensions. FLV happens to be one of those. Some, like DV (to DVD) are set within the parameters of the Export specs., say for NTSC, the Export WILL be 720 x 480, and either Standard (4:3), or Widescreen (16:9).

Normally with HD material, square pixels will be used. With SD DV material, the pixels are likely non-square, and either 0.9 (Standard 4:3), or 1.2 (Widescreen 16:9) In the first case, the pixels are taller, than wide, and in the latter, they are wider than tall.

If you wish to end up with an SD output, I would pass on the Hauppage, if at all possible, and stick to a full SD workflow.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: SD video getting exported at HD size with black borders
              gregmetrovan Level 1

Okay, so I resolved the issue by creating projects with the correct type. Now projects from SD captures export without the black borders. Yay!

The problem NOW is that they look like crap. Boo. It *might* be related to the SD resolution...

See, when I create a "NTSC-DV-Standard 48kHz" or "NTSC-DV-Widescreen 48kHz" and place one or more of the raw SD captures from the Hauppauge HD PVR (720x480) in it, the result is all jerky and/or blurry. When I export the movie, the same thing.

In case you're wondering, the raw captures look fine when you play them in Windows Media Player or QuickTime Player.

BUT if I create the same type of project and place one or more raw SD captures from my old capture card (640x480), the video is excellent from within PRE9 and when exported. Unfortunately, this card is no longer available.

Could it be the size (720 wide versus 640 wide)?

Again, if I place these new 720x480 captures in a high-def project, they look fine in PRE9 and when exported. But if I place them in an SD project (which is supposed to support 720x480, if I'm reading it right), they're crap.

Thanks so much!

Greg

• 4. Re: SD video getting exported at HD size with black borders
                John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>captures from the Hauppauge HD PVR

Just what are you capturing?

Also, I don't ever remember seeing ANY message that concerned Hauppauge that did not also mention problems... I do not think files created by the Hauppauge are really meant to be edited, only viewed

Describe what you are capturing and someone may be able to recommend something better than the Hauppauge

• 5. Re: SD video getting exported at HD size with black borders
                  gregmetrovan Level 1

Virtually static pictures of my friend's baby, dynamic pictures of my kids playing soccer.

Seems weird to think that it's the Hauppauge. It's AWESOME for doing the same thing with High-Def captures, excellent quality. And the SD captures look excellent (for SD) as well. It's ONLY when I'm trying to edit those SD clips in Premier. It seems more likely that I'm doing something wrong, given it's my first couple of days with Premier ever.

• 6. Re: SD video getting exported at HD size with black borders
                    gregmetrovan Level 1

By the way, here's a sample of both the original clean capture, and the jerky export from PRE9 (you really notice it when the camera pans, but it's visible elsewhere too):

clean capture

https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0BzG6J3nHTgKwMDdmOTU2MDctYWU2Zi00NWViLTkyOTUtYjU1YzExOGZjN zQ2&hl=en_GB&authkey=COjC5fkB

jerky export

https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0BzG6J3nHTgKwZDY4ZjkxNTctMDdkOS00NjUzLTg1NjctYWYxMDYzZmFlZ TAz&hl=en_GB&authkey=CM7NhoEM

You don't actually need to view the first one (both are about 14 MB) unless you doubt it's "clean-ness".
                    • 7. Re: SD video getting exported at HD size with black borders
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

When using the Hauppage to Capture SD material, what sort of files does it create? What are the specs. of those files? If necessary, the great, free utility, G-SPOT, can give you those exact details.

My guess is that quality is being lost in the down-rezzing process. IIRC, you are starting with SD sized material, then using the Hauppage to Capture in HD, and then using it to down-rez again. Please correct me, if I have become confused.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: SD video getting exported at HD size with black borders
                        gregmetrovan Level 1

Here's the file info on the SD MP4 file created by Hauppauge:

capture.jpg

Do you see anything wrong there? It's 720x480, so I *think* that means Hauppauge captured it in SD (my HD captures are 1280x720), but I could be totally off.

Here's the file after importing the capture into PRE9 and then exporting as MPG:

from_pre9.jpg

Thanks for your help on this!

Greg

• 9. Re: SD video getting exported at HD size with black borders
                          gregmetrovan Level 1

Okay, so after hours of trial-and-error, I seem to have come up with a way that works for me in producing no-flicker no-jerky SD videos:

1. Capture from Hauppauge HD PVR in "M2TS" format.
                            2. Create project in PRE9 as "Hard Disk Standard 48kHz".
                            3. Edit video as desired in PRE9.
                            4. Export video to AVI as "DV NTSC Standard".
                            5. Burn DVD using something else (ie. PowerProducer, etc.).

Other variations, like creating a "DV Standard 48kHz" project, exporting to mpg, or burning the DVD from within PRE9 gives the flickers or jerkiness.

I post this in case anyone in the future runs into the same problem.

Thanks everyone, especially Bill!

Greg

• 10. Re: SD video getting exported at HD size with black borders
                            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Obviously the Hauppage cards are not the best choices for capturing video, if you plan to edit it in Premiere Elements.

If you're interested in a device that will immediately resolve these issues, we recommend a couple affordable DV bridges in the FAQs to the right of this forum.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/431853?tstart=0