2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 28, 2010 12:49 PM by the_wine_snob

Adobe Premiere Elements 9 on mac - won't import from external DVD drive

tgiv11

Hello!

I'm using Adobe Premiere Elements 9 on my MacBook. (Mac OS 10.5.8) I've been trying to import video from my Samsung SuperWriteMaster Slim External DVD Writer. (which is for Mac and Windows)

Here's what's happens. I've tried File > DVD Camcorder or PC DVD Drive which opens up the Video Importer, but  "No supported device has been detected." Ironically, I have been able to successfully export with my external DVD drive and create a new DVD, I just can't import from it. I'd really like to use Video Importer directly to import from this external drive, what else should I be doing to make Premiere Elements recognize the Samsung drive?

Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 9 on mac - won't import from external DVD drive
          Stavros F. Level 1

I think that you should just try the

File - Get media from - Files and folders

and choose the DVD-drive from there

However, you DO NOT want to use this approach: if you do so, PRE9 will always ask you for this DVD when editing your project! It would be better to copy the desired files (I suppose that these are footages from your camcorder that you burned to a DVD disk) to a hard disk drive and then use

File - Get media from - Files and folders

and choose the files from that hard disk drive.

Did this work for you?

• 2. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 9 on mac - won't import from external DVD drive
            the_wine_snob Level 9

I agree. Working from internal HDD's will always be better than working from a DVD in a burner.

I would just Copy over the files from that DVD, and Import those from the internal HDD. If those are DVD-Video discs, they will have the VIDEO_TS folder and inside that will be the IFO, BUP and VOB files. Though one only needs the VOB's, I'd just Copy the full VIDEO_TS folder and Get Media from there, selecting the VOB's.

Now, all VOB's are created equal. This ARTICLE goes into more detail, and points out some potential pitfalls. Please note that most of the ripping software listed in the links in that article are probably PC-only, but comparable programs exist for the Mac.

Good luck,

Hunt