9 Replies Latest reply on Dec 28, 2010 6:57 PM by the_wine_snob

Copying Audio Mixer plugins

Butch2oc Level 1

Has anyone worked out how to copy channel settings/plugins from 1 channel to another?... (other than creating individual plugin presets)

If not I'll try a feature request.

Cheers

• 1. Re: Copying Audio Mixer plugins
          Colin Brougham Level 6

Old-fashioned paper and pencil is the only way I've found. A feature request would be your best bet--albeit not one providing immediate gratification.

IMO, audio mixing in Premiere still seems almost completely disconnected from the rest of the interface. I'm not quite sure if this is by necessity, or just because audio mixing was sort of shoehorned into the whole apparatus. Personally, I don't use the audio mixer too much because of this; I  prefer to do almost everything with clip effects and manual rubberbanding.

In short, I think the mixer needs a major overhaul, including features like the one you're suggesting.

• 2. Re: Copying Audio Mixer plugins
            Butch2oc Level 1

Thanks Colin,

I was kind of hoping I was missing something. I like the mixer and what it can achieve, it is still the best mixer inside an editing program.

Anyway onto the feature request I guess.

Cheers

• 3. Re: Copying Audio Mixer plugins
              the_wine_snob Level 9

While I use Audio Mixer for many things, I find that Audition (Soundbooth maybe?) does so very much more.

For what you are describing, if I have followed correctly, I'd look at doing it with Envelope Processes in Audition. [Someone will have to bring me up to speed on Soundbooth, as it might be a viable alternative.]

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Copying Audio Mixer plugins
                Colin Brougham Level 6

Audition/Soundbooth are not the same as a decent mixer, as far as I'm concerned. Yes, Au/Sb can be made to do those sorts of things that a mixer should do, but that's a layer of unnecessary abstraction. I just think that operating in the mixer (and further to that, most audio tweaking capabilities in Premiere) are... weird. They just seem to operate in a totally different space than every other component of the Premiere interface. For example: change a track level in the mixer and then attempt to Undo--it doesn't work! I don't think this is a bug; rather, it's just a wholly different paradigm that doesn't mesh with the rest of the Premiere model and--at least for me--is the source of mass frustration.

</tirade>

• 5. Re: Copying Audio Mixer plugins
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

As for the Undo, I think that the problem there is the application of the Track Keyframes. Unlike Audition, where full Undo data is available, in Audio Mixer, it is not.

As for mixing, I find Audition to be a wonderful tool (sort of like AE to PrPro... ), and often rely on it. For me, Edit in Audition is seamless and easy to use - just like an extra "plug-in" for PrPro.

Now, I do agree that there are limitations, and also some, well... oddities in Audio Mixer.

Hunt

• 6. Re: Copying Audio Mixer plugins
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

I think that the Feature Request is a good one. I can see no problem with extending the capabilities of Audio Mixer.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Copying Audio Mixer plugins
                      Butch2oc Level 1

Bill, out of interest, could you give me the heads up on your audio workflow.

How do you export... as seperate files? AAF? OMF?

How do you handle changes to the original timeline and then update your audio project?

I always get changes/adjustments in the approval process and this is why I work inside the box (prem) as much as possible.

• 8. Re: Copying Audio Mixer plugins
                        Colin Brougham Level 6
                        As for the Undo, I think that the problem there is the application of the Track Keyframes. Unlike Audition, where full Undo data is available, in Audio Mixer, it is not.

Track Keyframes are a good example, but not just the only one in relation to what's "undoable" with audio mixing. I'm hard pressed to think of anything else you can do within Premiere that can't be immediately reversed with Edit>Undo/Ctrl+Z.

As for mixing, I find Audition to be a wonderful tool (sort of like AE to PrPro... ), and often rely on it. For me, Edit in Audition is seamless and easy to use - just like an extra "plug-in" for PrPro.

Well, I won't dispute that; I'm not an Audition user, but I know that it can be used in this capacity. But my point is that for simple track mixing and balancing, it shouldn't be necessary to export individual tracks from PPro to Au for mixing; we should have competent capability of that in Premiere alone. AE was in this awkward "export from the NLE to get anything useful" phase prior to Dynamic Link. Now, it's so easy to do that there is little reason not to. As far as I'm aware, this doesn't exist for Au, so you're forced into doing the dance, simply to mix a few tracks. A command like "Edit in Audition" is not the same as, say, something like "Mix in Audition," where you'd be able to select multiple audio tracks and keep them "live."

I reserve the right to be completely off the mark...

• 9. Re: Copying Audio Mixer plugins
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

In my case, I have Adobe Audition installed (though upgraded to 3), as part of my Production Studio, so I have "Edit in Audition" as an available option of Audio Clips. I choose that, and Audition opens the Clip in Audition, ready to be edited. When done, I just do a Save, and that edited file replaces the original Clip in my Timeline.

Now, if I need to work at the Timeline level, and not at the Clip-level, I will do an Export>Audio Only PCM/WAV 48KHz 16-bit, and then Import that into Audition, and do a Save_As, and then Import that file, replacing the original Clips (usually just Mute their Track).

Hope that helps, and good luck,

Hunt