2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 6, 2007 7:07 PM by Newsgroup_User

Getting Flex swf to listen for external events

Level 7
      I know how to get a Flash file to wait to receive a variable value from (for
      example) the containing HTML page. However, I'm not sure how to get a Flex
      file to do this. Can anyone point me to a tutorial that could help with
      this?

Thanks;

Amy

• 1. Re: Getting Flex swf to listen for external events
          Flex harUI Adobe Employee
          Lots of folks use FlashVars to send parameters to the SWF as it starts up. You can also create some sort of handshake using ExternalInterface to callback into the SWF.
          • 2. Re: Getting Flex swf to listen for external events
            Level 7

"Flex harUI" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
            news:f6maoh$gqm$1@forums.macromedia.com...
            > Lots of folks use FlashVars to send parameters to the SWF as it starts up.
            > You can also create some sort of handshake using ExternalInterface to
            > callback into the SWF.

OK, please back up and slow down. I am very new to Flex, so you're going to
            have to explain a few things to me. I can't send FlashVars, because I'm
            using the ActiveX control embedded in an application. I can send variables
            in after the Flash file loads into the ActiveX, but I am a bit fuzzy on how
            I put the application into one state while it is waiting for the variable to
            change, then detect the variable change and change state based on what is
            received. With a time line this all is fairly intuitive, but I look at the
            XML and see few clues as to how to accomplish this in Flex.

Thanks;

Amy