2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 29, 2010 8:41 AM by CtDave

how do I get an email into my Kobo?

Garner of Ottawa

A friend is sending me a 90,000 word book by email.   I assume I have to tranfer it into Adobe in some way and then transfer it over into my Kobo.  Can somebody explain to a super-dummy how that is done?   I'm using Vista.

• 1. Re: how do I get an email into my Kobo?
          Bernd Alheit Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I assume I have to tranfer it into Adobe in some way and then transfer it over into my Kobo.

Why do you assume this?

• 2. Re: how do I get an email into my Kobo?
            CtDave Level 5

Kobo eReader :: File Types Supported: ePUB, PDF, Adobe ADE (Digital Editions)

The file format of the email attachment is the significant variable.
            If already in ePUB you'd need to review the Kobo Help to learn how to access/load it.

If not ePUB, getting it to ePUB may be problematic.
            There are work flows to bring some file formats to ePUB (i.e., InDesign CS4/CS5).

ADE is associated with purchase of the service to apply Digital Rights Management (DRM) to ePUB or PDF.
            Once processed, the ePUB/PDF can be processed by authorized users (paid for the document/book) via ADE.
            (Over simplified - details can be viewed at Adobe's ADE webspace.)

For your file you may be able to create a PDF with PDFMaker or Adobe Distiller (via the Adobe Printer).
            This would require Acrobat Standard or Professional.
            An alternative could be to use a free PDF creation utility (although many of these do not provide an adequately robuts PDF - e.g., built to ISO 32000-1). If the file can be rendered via Word 2007 there is an Office 2007 feature that permits Save As to PDF.

Once you have a PDF there may still be issues when it is viewed on a mobile device such as your Kobo.
            For "graceful" use on a mobile device you'd want the PDF to be an appropriately Tagged PDF which provides better reflow.
            However, if you should want to post process a PDF to work on the Tag structure you will need Acrobat Pro.

Be well...