39 Replies Latest reply on Nov 24, 2011 7:06 AM by bernieraffe

PE9 Share / Disc status always shows 'Invalid Disc Name'

bernieraffe Level 1

Been using PE9 for about a month, everything working just great on my Win 7 64 bit PC, apart from this one problem.

When I try to 'Share' and then click on the Disc option, the status field always says 'Invalid Disc name' (i.e even to start off with, using the disc name that PE9 has inserted).

I succesfully worked round this once before in order to write to a DVD by switching to output to a folder and then back again to DVD and finally the message disappeared. But now I want to output to a blu-ray disc and I just can't get the 'invalid disc name' message to disappear, i've tried just about everything I can think of, trying various types of disc names etc... and inserting and removing blank blu-rays.

When the message shows, the 'Burn' button is disabled, so I'm unable to create a blu-ray disc.

Any help appreciated.

Cheers

Bernie

• 1. Re: PE9 Share / Disc status always shows 'Invalid Disc Name'
          nealeh Level 5

If DVD Burn to Folder worked for you then the problem is likely to be at the system level rather than PRE.

Create a system restore point and then go to the manufacturer's web site and check for a firmware update. If there is one install it. If that doesn't improve things, uninstall your burner in Device Manager and then use Action> Scan for hardware changes to reinstall.

Cheers,
          --
          Neale
          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 2. Re: PE9 Share / Disc status always shows 'Invalid Disc Name'
            bernieraffe Level 1

Hi Neale,

Thanks for the quick reply.

I understand what you're saying but the Invalid Disc Name meesage disappeared once I had selected a folder and then returned to the disc option, so I was able to burn a DVD. That to me suggests a problem with PRE.

Also i have had no other problems burning DVD's using other software.

• 3. Re: PE9 Share / Disc status always shows 'Invalid Disc Name'
              nealeh Level 5

Do you have any packet writing software installed (e.g. Nero InCD or Roxio drag2disk)? If so uninstall them and see if that makes a difference.

Please also post a screen shot of the Share pane with the burn options drop down showing.

Cheers,
              --
              Neale

• 4. Re: PE9 Share / Disc status always shows 'Invalid Disc Name'
                bernieraffe Level 1

Hi Neale,

I have Cyberlink PowereDVD installed (came pre-installed with PC about a month ago).

Trouble is I use it quite a lot, so even if the uninstall worked, i'd stil have to re-install it.

Screen shot of Share tab

Anpre-share.jpg

• 5. Re: PE9 Share / Disc status always shows 'Invalid Disc Name'
                  bernieraffe Level 1

I've uninstalled Cyberlink 'InstantBurn' (allows formatting and writing/rewriting to disc), but that made no difference.

• 6. Re: PE9 Share / Disc status always shows 'Invalid Disc Name'
                    nealeh Level 5

While the default disk name should be valid change it to something simple like 'TEST' and see if that makes any difference.

Cheers,
                    --
                    Neale

• 7. Re: PE9 Share / Disc status always shows 'Invalid Disc Name'
                      bernieraffe Level 1

Yes, i've tried changing the disc name to every combination I could think of, made no difference.

This is really frustrating, no matter how great the editing facilities, if I can't write to a disc it's all a bit academic!!

It seems like a simple programming error to me, how hard is it to parse the contents of the disc name field to check its validity, hardly rocket-science!! I don't really see what firmware, drivers or other software have to do with it!!

Is there any other way of creating a blu-ray disc, could I perhaps share the video as an mpeg4 file, and then create a blu-ray dvd from that using my Cyberlink software perhaps?

• 8. Re: PE9 Share / Disc status always shows 'Invalid Disc Name'
                        nealeh Level 5

That's probably a good workaround if Cyberlink can work with those rendered formats, create Blu-Ray menus and scenes, and burn a Blu-Ray disk. If not the inexpensive Sony DVD Architect Studio can (without re-rendering) from files in one of the formats listed:

From DVD Architect Studio Help:

AVC video

If you’re using Vegas Movie Studio software, you can use the Sony AVC Blu-ray rendering templates to render your video stream. You'll need to render your audio stream separately according to the parameters listed in the PCM audio heading in this topic.

If you're rendering with a different application, the following settings will produce compliant AVC media.

Frame Size

Frame Rate (fps)

Aspect Ratio

Max. Bit Rate

720x480

29.970 interlaced

4:3

40 Mbps

720x480

29.970 interlaced

16:9

40 Mbps

720x576

25 interlaced

4:3

40 Mbps

720x576

25 interlaced

40 Mbps

1280x720

29.970 interlaced

40 Mbps

1280x720

40 Mbps

1280x720

40 Mbps

1280x720

40 Mbps

1440x1080

29.970 interlaced

40 Mbps

1440x1080

25 interlaced

40 Mbps

1440x1080

40 Mbps

1440x1080

40 Mbps

1920x1080

29.970 interlaced

40 Mbps

1920x1080

25 interlaced

40 Mbps

1920x1080

40 Mbps

1920x1080

40 Mbps

If you haven't already done so I do still suggest you check for a firmware update.

Another option would be to buy virtual burner software to simulate burn to folder. e.g.Virtual CD

Cheers,
                        --
                        Neale

• 9. Re: PE9 Share / Disc status always shows 'Invalid Disc Name'
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Bernie,

Can you please give us a few examples of the Disc Names, that are choking PrE?

Usually, the default Disc Name comes from the Project's name. Win7 allows all sorts of naming conventions, past the old DOS 8.3 convention days. However, the authoring function in PrE is built around the Sonic AuthorCore modules (just like Adobe Encore). The Sonic modules are very temperamental, regarding file names. We have found that Sonic does not do well with filenames that contain spaces (something that has been around Windows for many, many years). Long filenames, and filenames with many odd characters also choke the Sonic modules. Most of the Encore users have reverted to using the _ (Underscore) to replace all spaces, use shorter file names and stay clear of a lot of the characters, like the ' (apostrophe) and most punctuation. The list of "forbidden" characters also includes using the . (period, or dot), in any file name.

Just a guess here, but even after you have changed the intended file name, something in the Sonic AuthorCore modules is still getting in the way - only a guess, so if you could give a few examples of some of the Disc Names, that choked PrE, maybe we can see a potential problem.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: PE9 Share / Disc status always shows 'Invalid Disc Name'
                            bernieraffe Level 1

Neale, thanks for all of the info, much appreciated. I have downloaded the latest burner firmware, but the version number was exactly the same as the existing firmware so I didn't install it.

Bill, here's some examples of disc names that i've tried:-

xmas2010

test

x

testit10

i've also tried setting the discname to blank

I've submitted an Adobe support ticket, will keep you posted.

• 11. Re: PE9 Share / Disc status always shows 'Invalid Disc Name'
                              bernieraffe Level 1

Another option would be to buy virtual burner software to simulate burn to folder. e.g.Virtual CD

I tried Neale's suggestion, this sounded quite promising as another burner appears in the list on the BluRay screen. Unfortunately, switching to the virtual burner makes no difference and it still complains about an invalid disc name (tried various names as usual)

So it doesn't look as if the problem is related to the burner firmware or drivers.

• 12. Re: PE9 Share / Disc status always shows 'Invalid Disc Name'
                                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

This is rather obvious I'm sure, but have you ensured that your G drive is a burner and not just a disc player?

Many current computers have one DVD or BluRay drive and a second player-only (or CD burner only) drive. The burner is often the F drive.

• 13. Re: PE9 Share / Disc status always shows 'Invalid Disc Name'
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Thank you for that information. Those file names should not present any issues. Scratch one idea.

Along the lines of Steve's last question, in Control Panel>System>Hardware>Device Manager, please list the make/model of your DVD burner/drive.

Also, I wonder a bit about that "virtual burner." There are several "virtual burner" apps., and many use them to get around PrE's inability to Burn to Folder for BD Projects. What type of "virtual burner" software are you running? I would want to rule that program out, as a possible conflict.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 14. Re: PE9 Share / Disc status always shows 'Invalid Disc Name'
                                    bernieraffe Level 1

Hi Steve,

Thanks for continuing to help out.

Yes, my G: drive is definitely a burner, I only have one CD drive on my PC, and that's it. I've burnt several DVD's with it (including today), so I know it works.

Also, if you look at my previous post I also downloaded Virtual CD which gives the option of another burner (albeit virtual), in my case it created an H: drive. When I selected that on the Share/Disc/BluRay screen I still got the Invalid Disc Name message in the status. It never changes regardless of what I type in the disc name field.

The problem is not restricted to the BluRay screen, I also get the Invalid Disc Name status message on the DVD screen, but because I can switch to the folder creation and back again, I can get the message to go away. Using this technique I have succesfully burnt a DVD from PRE 9.

Cheers,

Bernie

• 15. Re: PE9 Share / Disc status always shows 'Invalid Disc Name'
                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Bernie,

Please refresh my memory a bit. Can you Burn to Folder from PrE? I think that you can, and that it's just the physical Burn to Disc, that is the problem. Is that correct?

If you CAN Burn to Folder, please download and install the great, free burning utility, ImgBurn. Launch it, and choose Burn Files/Folder, pointing it at the resultant VIDEO_TS folder, where you located it. There is a tab in ImgBurn, called Labels, and in it are boxes for the Disc Names, in two formats. Across the very top, your Disc Name should be shown. When you put that into the upper of the two boxes, do you get any errors? ImgBurn is very strict, and also has good (often funny) error messages. Does ImgBurn allow you to use that Disc Name, or does it offer to make corrections for you?

Also, ImgBurn works at the system-level, with all of your hardware, and will survey your system. It can pick up on all sorts of system errors, regarding burners. The messages in ImgBurn can point up conflicts, or system settings, that are wrong.

For a free utility, it is an amazing little program, and is very good with its error messages. It is also a great burning utility, in that it will survey your blank media, tell you who really made it and the lot number, PLUS (and for me, it's a big PLUS), it allows one to turn down the burn speed, which is something that PrE cannot do. I always burn at less than max speed, for better playability.

Good luck, and either correct me, as to what you ARE able to do, and if you CAN do the Burn to Disc, how and what ImgBurn reports to you.

Thank you,

Hunt

• 16. Re: PE9 Share / Disc status always shows 'Invalid Disc Name'
                                        bernieraffe Level 1

Hi Bill,

Thanks for your help so far.

The CD/DVD/BluRay burner is a BH10LS30 ATA device made by LG, here's a link to it:-

http://www.lg.com/us/computer-products/optical-media/LG-internal-dvd-burner-BH10LS30.jsp

I only installed the Virtual CD software today (see above posts) for a link to the software, so there couldn't be a conflict as i've had this problem for a few days now.

By the way, I couldn't find any firmware on the LG site, instead I downloaded and installed this one (I risked the install, even though it reported the version numbers were the same)

As regards your previous post, unfortunately the BluRay screen does not give the option of outputting to a folder (unlike the DVD screen), so ImgBurn won't help.
                                        • 17. Re: PE9 Share / Disc status always shows 'Invalid Disc Name'
                                          the_wine_snob Level 9

You are correct, that PrE will NOT Burn to Folder for BD. That is a limitation in the software, and to get around that, many do use the virtual burner software, of some sort. I had forgotten that you were doing BD. Thanks for that. Now, and as another memory refresher course for me, does that virtual burner software show the very same error, or does it allow you to burn that Project to it, hence creating the folder structure for BD?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 18. Re: PE9 Share / Disc status always shows 'Invalid Disc Name'
                                            nealeh Level 5

On the disk that came with your LG drive there will be a piece of software that can automatically check current firmware against your installed firmware and notify you if there is a newer one available.

Cheers,
                                            --
                                            Neale

• 19. Re: PE9 Share / Disc status always shows 'Invalid Disc Name'
                                              bernieraffe Level 1

My DVD burner is drive G:, after installing the Virtual CD software, I had a new H: drive, which was in the drop down box on the PrE BluRay screen. However, selecting the H: drive made no difference, the status box still said 'Invalid Disc Name' and nothing I could do, regardless of what I entered into the disc name box could change it

The BluRay burner came with the PC, just a few weeks ago and there was no CD/DVD provided for the burner. But surely, the fact that i've tried and failed to use a Virtual burner proves that the firmware isn't at fault, doesn't it? I would think it very unlikely that my physical burner and the virtual burner have the same fault.

I still have a few lingering bits of Cyberlink DVD software on the PC, so my next step will be to completely uninstall it.

• 20. Re: PE9 Share / Disc status always shows 'Invalid Disc Name'
                                                bernieraffe Level 1

I have now completely removed all remaining Cyberlink DVD software from my PC and re-booted, hasn't made any difference... aaaarg!

• 21. Re: PE9 Share / Disc status always shows 'Invalid Disc Name'
                                                  Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Well, there is a  simple $39 solution called DVD Architect Studio.

You can output your video from Premiere Elements as BluRay quality MPEGs and then  use DVD Architect Studio to author your DVDs and BluRay discs. (You also have the option of burning these files to folders on your hard drive for later burn to disc.)

I love the program, and I think it makes a great supplement to Premiere Elements. In fact, as you likely know since you've been on the Muvipix forum, I've just published a how-to book on it, and I'm giving away two copies next week. You can enter by tagging onto my announcement on the Community forum at http://Muvipix.com.

Meantime, if you type "DVD Architect" in the product search box at Muvipix, you can check out my basic training tutorials and see if you like the program.

• 22. Re: PE9 Share / Disc status always shows 'Invalid Disc Name'
                                                    nealeh Level 5

bernieraffe wrote:

But surely, the fact that i've tried and failed to use a Virtual burner proves that the firmware isn't at fault, doesn't it? I would think it very unlikely that my physical burner and the virtual burner have the same fault.

I'd agree with you there. Your problem is very perplexing. Can you confirm that you have plenty of free contiguous disk space (30GB minimum, 60GB preferred).

You could also try running the program as administrator (right-click the shortcut and select 'Run as administrator') to see if that helps.

Cheers,
                                                    --
                                                    Neale

• 23. Re: PE9 Share / Disc status always shows 'Invalid Disc Name'
                                                      bernieraffe Level 1

Steve, that sounds like a good backup plan, thanks, but looking at the features of DVD Architect, it seems to be more of a competitor to PrE 9, rather than something that would complement it?

I should in theory, I think, be able to use my Cyberlink software to create a bluray from an HD mpeg file, but i'm also having problems with that software (of a different nature, it tells me I have to upgrade to get the BluRay functions). This is the software:-

http://www.cyberlink.com/products/powerproducer/overview_en_US.html

What type of mpeg file do I need to output in order to create a bluray from it? I thought it would be mpeg4 but PrE doesn't list that as an option, only mpeg2

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Neale, the configuration on my PC is as follows:-

Intel I7

Win 7 64bit

8GB of memory

Graphics card ATI Radeon 5750

C: (boot) drive is solid state with 9GB free

D: had 800GB free

F: has 550GB free

L: drive us external USB drive

Quite a powerful PC, only had it a few weeks.

I tried running PrE 9 as an administrator, but problem persists

• 24. Re: PE9 Share / Disc status always shows 'Invalid Disc Name'
                                                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Actually, all that DVD Architect does is author DVD/BD, and does no editing. PrE is first a video editor, with some limited authoring capabilities.

The use of DVD Architect is just like me with my PrPro 2.0 (last PrPro to have limited authoring capabilities) and Adobe Encore, the authoring, ONLY, program. I edit in PrPro, by-pass its authoring, and then author in Encore. Now, PrPro has zero authoring capabilities, and all authoring MUST be done in Encore.

Good luck, and sorry that we could not find the cause of the Invalid Disc Name issue. This is the first that I recall hearing of that error.

Hunt

• 25. Re: PE9 Share / Disc status always shows 'Invalid Disc Name'
                                                          nealeh Level 5

I think that your C: drive may be the problem here with PRE9 looking to write working files there and 9GB not enough. In Edit> Preferences> Media and Edit> Preferences> ScratchDisks where are files being stored?

Cheers,
                                                          --
                                                          Neale

• 26. Re: PE9 Share / Disc status always shows 'Invalid Disc Name'
                                                            bernieraffe Level 1

Yes, the lack of space on my C: drive has been a bit worrying, but the PrE 9 ScratchDisk locations are all set to the D: drive with almost 800GB free.

As an aside, even though i've installed all my applications onto my D: drive, some of them still use the default 'c:user\bernie' for scratch and cache type files (which was a problem given that my C: drive is a 64GB solid state dive). So when I first got the PC setup I changed the default Windows location of 'c:\users\bernie' to 'd:\users\bernie' (it's a registry entry), so now all of the applications use the d: drive for their scratch areas. I havn't experienced any problems in doing this.

• 27. Re: PE9 Share / Disc status always shows 'Invalid Disc Name'
                                                              bernieraffe Level 1

Something different is happening!

When I try PrE 9 Share/Disc/BluRay I now get the following message (it appears as soon as I select bluray)

PrEMsg.jpg

As far as i'm aware I havn't changed anything, but it does now look suspiciously like there's something wrong with my burner or configuration. But maybe this is progress!! I'm tempted to uninstall the burner in device manager, but I don't know whether it will re-install automatically.

By the way, the message doesn't appear for DVD's and I can still burn DVD's, I still don't have any other software that burns BluRays, I thought my Cyberlink software was bluray capable but apparently I need to upgrade it (even though I have the correct version for blurays!!)

• 28. Re: PE9 Share / Disc status always shows 'Invalid Disc Name'
                                                                the_wine_snob Level 9
                                                                even though i've installed all my applications onto my D: drive

All Adobe programs really, really want to be installed on C:\. Bad things happen, when they are installed elsewhere.

I would clean up C:\, and then uninstall all Adobe programs from D:\, then reinstall them onto C:\, where they will all be much happier.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 29. Re: PE9 Share / Disc status always shows 'Invalid Disc Name'
                                                                  nealeh Level 5

bernieraffe wrote:

As far as i'm aware I havn't changed anything, but it does now look suspiciously like there's something wrong with my burner or configuration. But maybe this is progress!! I'm tempted to uninstall the burner in device manager, but I don't know whether it will re-install automatically.

Yes it will reinstall automatically. You can either select Action> Scan for hardware changes. Or restart your computer.

bernieraffe wrote:

By the way, the message doesn't appear for DVD's and I can still burn DVD's, I still don't have any other software that burns BluRays,

The great free ImgBurn can burn Blu-Rays.

Cheers,
                                                                  --
                                                                  Neale

• 30. Re: PE9 Share / Disc status always shows 'Invalid Disc Name'
                                                                    bernieraffe Level 1

All Adobe programs really, really want to be installed on C:\. Bad things happen, when they are installed elsewhere.

Bill, as an ex Windows developer of many years, I can safely say that if that's true then it's simply bad programming practise on the part of Adobe or one of their partners. I've never installed any of my applications (other than drivers etc...) on the boot drive and never had a problem doing that (well maybe not up to now, if you're correct!).

Also, my C: drive had only 10GB free when the PC arrived (64GB, approx 49GB after formatting, and then 10GB after OS was installed).  My d:\user\bernie folder is now up to 35GB, so there's now way I can install any applications on C:. It would be easier to avoid Adobe software altogether if that was a problem.

Neale, thanks for the info, will uninstall my burner when i'm feeling brave enough and will also take a look at ImgBurn tomorrow.

Thanks people for all your help so far.

• 31. Re: PE9 Share / Disc status always shows 'Invalid Disc Name'
                                                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Well, I am just stating how Adobe software has worked for decades. There are two easy choices - avoid it, or get an adequately large C:\.

PrE (and PrPro too), need a lot of HDD real estate for their working files.

An ideal I/O configuration is:

C:\ OS, program files, and possibly the Page File (Windows Virtual Memory)

D:\ Project and Scratch Disks

E:\ Media files

Good luck,

Hunt

• 32. Re: PE9 Share / Disc status always shows 'Invalid Disc Name'
                                                                        nealeh Level 5

I too have PRE/PSE installed on E: with videos on I: But even so I have 1.3GB in C:\Users\Neale\AppData\Roaming\Adobe and 2.8GB in C:\ProgramData\Adobe

Cheers,
                                                                        --
                                                                        Neale

• 33. Re: PE9 Share / Disc status always shows 'Invalid Disc Name'
                                                                          bernieraffe Level 1

Well, I am just stating how Adobe software has worked for decades. There are two easy choices - avoid it, or get an adequately large C:\.

Bill, sorry, didn't meant to snap back at you, i'm just getting very frustrated with this problem!

You may be right about the C: drive, I don't know, but apart from this one problem, it seems to be running just fine from my D: drive with media files on F:

i've downloaded ImgBrn, which seems to work just fine, although so far i've only burnt to BluRay using the 'test' mode.

Also, i've only received one response from Adobe, and they suggested I upgrade the burner's firmware, they didn't get back to me after I said i'd already done that.

• 34. Re: PE9 Share / Disc status always shows 'Invalid Disc Name'
                                                                            Ted Smith Level 3

It's not something simple like mixing FAT32 and NTFS on your drives?

I have two of my three disks formatted to start Windows in the event that one fails or to troubleshot.

All really, really important files I keep on both drives. (I dont trust RAID which slows editing down a bit anyway)

I just change the BIOS boot order depending on which OS I want.

If you temporarily installed windows on your big disk it so it thought it was C: this would eliminate the possibility that it was your solid state disk giving the error message and not the burner?

• 35. Re: PE9 Share / Disc status always shows 'Invalid Disc Name'
                                                                              nealeh Level 5

Your paging file is probably set to 'System managed size' and your %temp% folder (C:\Users\Neale\AppData\Local\Temp\). Both of these will use up disk space on your C: drive.

To change your paging file:

1.png

and Temp:

2.png

Cheers,
                                                                              --
                                                                              Neale

• 36. Re: PE9 Share / Disc status always shows 'Invalid Disc Name'
                                                                                bernieraffe Level 1

Hi Neale,

I prefer to keep the paging file on my solid state drive as it improves performance, I have already tried moving it on to the D: drive just to see what would happen if the C: drive had about 17GB of space. It didn't make any difference to my problem.

Although I havn't changed any of the environment variables, the change I made originally by switching 'c:\user\bernie' to 'd:\user\bernie' means that all temp files are already on my D: drive.

Ted's idea is something I could try, maybe in the future.

Apart from this one problem I have a great working PC that performs brilliantly, i'm loathe to mess around with it too much, I think i'd rather use a supplemental program like Sony's DVD Architect to solve the problem or even to switch away completely from PrE9 to another product. (although that would be a last resort)

• 37. Re: PE9 Share / Disc status always shows 'Invalid Disc Name'
                                                                                  bernieraffe Level 1

I have just received a response from Adobe about this problem, here's their exact reply:-

I apologize for the inconvenience for the time taken in resolving the case.

I would like to inform you that the model number you are using of your Blu-ray player, that is not supported.
                                                                                  That is why, it is not possible for us to support this.

I'm quite surprised by this, I would have thought that all bluray burners would be supported, I wouldn't expect PrE9 or any software to interface directly with the device, but with Windows 7 API's which would then in turn 'talk' to the device.

Bernie

• 38. Re: PE9 Share / Disc status always shows 'Invalid Disc Name'
                                                                                    Black Canyon

Bernie,

I have exactly the same issue. 

And am using Windows 7, 64 bit, with PE9.

I see this post is old, but wondering if you ever found  a solution ??

• 39. Re: PE9 Share / Disc status always shows 'Invalid Disc Name'
                                                                                      bernieraffe Level 1

Hi,

I never did solve the issue in PRE9, but the good news is that the problem is fixed in PRE 10.

In PRE9 you can get round the problem by creating an HD video and then using other software to burn the blu-ray from that video.

Cheers,

bernie