5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 20, 2011 10:26 AM by _robin_hood

Adobe Reader X question.

WillisSimpson

Once selected how do you uncheck/deselect the Take a Snapshot and Loupe Tool features in Adobe Reader X?

• 1. Re: Adobe Reader X question.
          try67 MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Just choose a different tool, like the Hand tool.

• 2. Re: Adobe Reader X question.
            WillisSimpson Level 1

Thanks,

The default toolbar did not include the Hand tool or the Select tool but I finally managed to locate those, along with the Find feature, four menus deep.

Do you know of a method of installing Adobe Reader X which will include the Hand, Select and other tools as part of the default toolbar, perhaps a registry modification?

I used the install string, AdbeRdr1000_en_US.exe" /sAll /rs /msi /qn /norestart ALLUSERS=1 REBOOT=ReallySuppress EULA_ACCEPT=YES SUPPRESS_APP_LAUNCH=YES REMOVE_PREVIOUS=YES DEFAULT_VERB=Read, though I imagine some sort of deployment tool may be required to allow any further feature customization.

• 3. Re: Adobe Reader X question.
              Dave Merchant MVP & Adobe Community Professional

To drop out of Snapshot and back to the default (multi-select) mode, just press ESC.

The same keypress will drop out of Loupe mode, but the dialog will stay open and persists on the last view - this is intentional so you can drop out and make an edit or select/copy something without breaking your workflow. Re-selecting the Loupe tool carries on wherever you left off.

• 4. Re: Adobe Reader X question.
                WillisSimpson Level 1

Thanks, but I pressed ESC and nothing happened.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ….. haaaaaa!

Often our use of interactive whiteboards makes keyboard access inconvenient.

The Adobe Reader X JavaScript API does not appear to support direct toolbar management, even for standard buttons, so scripting would not seem to offer a solution in this particular case.

As an alternative, for Adobe Reader X, the registry areas where standard buttons may either be added to or removed from the common or QuickTools toolbars are:

Common:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Adobe\Acrobat Reader\10.0\AVGeneral\cCommonToolsBrowser

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Adobe\Acrobat Reader\10.0\AVGeneral\cCommonToolsDesktop

QuickTools:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Adobe\Acrobat Reader\10.0\AVGeneral\cFavoritesCommandsBrowser

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Adobe\Acrobat Reader\10.0\AVGeneral\cFavoritesCommandsDesktop

The particular buttons I had mentioned in an earlier post have these data values:

Find

SelectMenuItem

HandMenuItem

The Customization Wizard for Adobe Reader X can be used to create installers which include preconfigured user toolbars.  This is obviously Adobe’s preferred method for larger scale deployments.

The WinRAR archiver utility may be used to extract the needed MSI package files from the Adobe Reader X executable.

ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/acrobat/win/10.x/10.0.0/misc/CustWiz1000_en_US.exe

http://www.rarlab.com/rar/wrar393.exe

• 5. Re: Adobe Reader X question.
                  _robin_hood

Thank you Dave Merchant.

To drop out of Snapshot and back to the default (multi-select) mode, just press ESC.

I found this to be very annoying. The standard practice for such menu select items is that the selection toggles. In this case once selected the Snapshot

remains selected. As another user points out one must wade through several levels of menu to get another tool such as Hand Tool on the Toolbar. Then

this Toolbar button must be pressed. There is no apparent other option. No right click menu with other tools once in Snapshot.

I realize in hindsight that ESC is indeed another common method for such deactivation. None the less I feel this is a soft spot in the User Interface.

Glad to see your helpful ESC answer Dave. Thank you..