8 Replies Latest reply on Dec 29, 2010 10:42 AM by Stavros F.

How to keep selected parts of a clip in PRE9/Mac?

Stavros F. Level 1

Sometimes I wish to make the following: insert a (e.g.) 10-minute clip in the timeline, and then keep only portions of it, for example: 2nd-3rd minute and 5th minute. It is something that I can do, for example, with Elgato Turbo.264 HD Software Edition, but I haven't found yet how to achieve it with PRE9/Mac. Please notice that I do NOT refer to simple trimming offered through in and out markers.

Any help/suggestions?

• 1. Re: How to keep selected parts of a clip in PRE9/Mac?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

You can set the gray Work Area Bar (that runs long the ruler at the top of the timeline) so that it covers only segments of the clips on your timeline. Then, when you use the Share option, you can check the option to output Work Area Bar Only. (I can't give you specifics, since you don't say what you're trying to output yours clips as -- but virtually all have the option to export Work Area Bar Only.)

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How to keep selected parts of a clip in PRE9/Mac?
            Stavros F. Level 1

Maybe my question was misunderstood. What I want is to insert a clip in the timeline, and there trim it but with the ability not only to cut from the begining and the end, but as well in the midle.

The workaround I use now involves using "Split Clip" and "Delete Clip". I was looking for a more straightforward way.

• 3. Re: How to keep selected parts of a clip in PRE9/Mac?
              the_wine_snob Level 9

There are two easy ways to accomplish what you want:

• Dbl-click the Clip in the Project Panel, to Open it in the Source Monitor. Then set the In & Out Points that you wish for the first Instance of that Clip. Drag that to the Timeline. Go back to the Source Monitor, and change the In & Out Points for the second segment of that Clip, and then drag another Instance of it (new In & Out Points) to the Timeline. Repeat.

• Drag the Clip from the Project Panel to the Timeline. Use the Razor/Scissors Tool, to Cut OUT the segments that you do not want. Rt-click on each of those and choose Delete and Close Gaps (or very similar syntax). Repeat for each segment that you do not want.

Hope that helps, and good luck,

Hunt

PS - One can also move the CTI (Current Time Indicator w/ the red Edit Line) to the point of a Cut, and hit Ctrl+K to make the Cut, instead of using the Razor/Scissors Tool.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: How to keep selected parts of a clip in PRE9/Mac?
                Stavros F. Level 1

Yes, this is how I am approximately doing now (the first method that you describe). I was just wondering if there was a more straightforward way, such as a "more advanced trimming", like the approach used with Elgato Turbo.264 HD Software Edition.

Thanks for the detailed workflow Bill!

• 5. Re: How to keep selected parts of a clip in PRE9/Mac?
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Unfortunately, I do not know the referenced software, or how it works. Can you describe the process in that program, as there are usually several ways to do the same thing in PrE, and the choice of methods is how the user likes to work?

It could well be that from the workflow in Elgato, someone can point out a workflow that approximates its method.

In PrPro, there is an additional method, and that is with the Trim Monitor (does not exist in PrE), that somewhat duplicates the method with the Source Monitor and Instances of the Clip, but uses keystrokes.

To a degree, you can use icons (think that all have keyboard shortcuts, but am not sure), to do Inserts of the Clip Instances.

Good luck, and let us know how "The Cat" works - might be some function in PrE to get you close.

Hunt

• 6. Re: How to keep selected parts of a clip in PRE9/Mac?
                    Stavros F. Level 1

Well, in the example screenshot you see how I have kept 5 portions of a single clip. This is some kind of "advanced trimming": something more than just cutting from the begin and the end of a clip.

Screen shot 2010-12-29 at 5.37.12 PM.png

• 7. Re: How to keep selected parts of a clip in PRE9/Mac?
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Thanks for that. It appears that Elgato can set multiple In & Out Points for a Clip at the same time. Unfortunately, I am not aware of any such feature in PrE (or PrPro). I think that this would be a good subject for a Feature Request, as I can see why you'd like to do it this way.

Even with the Trim Monitor in PrPro, I do not think that this is possible, but will check. Obviously, that will not help PrE users, but would point up that in the "big brother" program, PrPro, it is possible, so should not be all THAT difficult to implement in PrE - maybe PrE 10?

Thanks for educating me on Elgato. I see where that could possibly save a bit of time.

One more question: after you have set the In & Out Points to basically create Instances from that Clip, do you just drag to the Timeline, and all Instances come in, and butt-up to each other? If so, pretty neat, and it would save a couple of Click-drag operations.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: How to keep selected parts of a clip in PRE9/Mac?
                        Stavros F. Level 1

Elgato Turbo.264 HD is a great software (it comes in a software and in a hardware edition) for me. I use it to convert my footage on the fly (with basic advanced trimming and merging of different clips) to H264 MPEG4 files for several tasks (such as: iPhone, convertion of 1080i/50fields-per-sec to 720 or 1080p/50frames-per-second, etc). I bought it at the time I was using iMovie09 for video editing, before buying PRE9.

More information on the respective's company website: http://www.elgato.com/