5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 29, 2010 9:03 AM by Todd_Kopriva Branched from an earlier discussion.

RAM and CPU recommendations

rodlab2x Level 1

In terms of RAM and CPU, what are good options to get a decent fluent workflow with HD in AE. Any recommendations? How much RAM should be the minimum? what kind of CPU would be good to use?

• 1. Re: Does Quadro 5000/4000 worth it in AE?
          Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

You should start a different topic.

So your problem can be address directly.

BTW the minimum amount is the maximum amount you can afford and your motherboard can take and the Fastest CPU you can get.

In the case of such software More Is More and Better.

• 2. Re: Does Quadro 5000/4000 worth it in AE?
            Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP
            In terms of RAM and CPU, what are good options to get a decent fluent workflow with HD in AE. Any recommendations? How much RAM should be the minimum? what kind of CPU would be good to use?

FAQ: What are the optimum memory settings for best performance in After Effects CS4 and CS5?

Short answer: as powerful a processor as you can get. The most RAM you can get (minumum of 2 GB per core of your processor, I'd recommend 4 GB or more).

Pretty much what Todd's said (twice) in this thread already.

• 3. Re: RAM and CPU recommendations
              Todd_Kopriva Level 8

I just branched this question to a new thread, since it wasn't relevant to the original subject line.

Regarding recommended amounts and minimum amounts:

The system requirements say that you need 2GB of RAM installed just to run After Effects. Then they recommend at least 4GB for HD work. Add to that another 2GB or so if you're going to run any other software (like Photoshop or Premiere Pro) at the same time. So, I'd say that ~6GB is a practical minimum to run After Effects and work with modern formats and use the integration features.

Then, as Wade said, more is better. More RAM means more speed, more stability, longer RAM previews, and many other positive things.

I think that the conventional wisdom is that 12GB of RAM installed is the lowest amount at which people feel that they can use their software smoothly and without compromises. That's how much I have in the computer in my Adobe office.

I have 24GB in my computer at home, and I'm very glad that I do. The RAM preview duration alone is a huge benefit.

• 4. Re: RAM and CPU recommendations
                rodlab2x Level 1

Thanks for this information. I got a machine few months ago trying to adress these issues and wasn't really sure.

Right now I'm running 12gb in a 64bit windows 7 machine with an i7960 processor and quadro 4000.

I mostly do flash/after effects intros/animations and want to do more broadcast but when previewing I still feel it gets sluggish and choppy. Not really sure if I'm setting up AE CS5 enviroment incorrectly or I need more power in my machine.

Thanks.

• 5. Re: RAM and CPU recommendations
                  Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> I mostly do flash/after effects intros/animations and want to do more broadcast but when previewing I still feel it gets sluggish and choppy. Not really sure if I'm setting up AE CS5 enviroment incorrectly or I need more power in my machine.

Here's a page full of recommendations for improving performance.