8 Replies Latest reply on Dec 30, 2010 4:37 PM by onlinetravels

DVI AVI/Codec Issue - Combining projects Pre9

onlinetravels Level 1

I'm trying to combine 3 pre9 projects to burn on one dvd.  Reading thru the forum, learned that I must convert 2 of them to dv avi files.  I can convert the file, but when I bring into the 2nd project receive error message "Add Media Failure - This type of file is not supported, or the required codec is not installed".

When I saved project 1 as a dv avi file I used the "Save in - DV NTSC Widescreen" option.  Should I have saved as "Microsoft AVI" or "uncompressed Microsoft AVI"?

I'll try and attach a screen shot.

• 1. Re: DVI AVI/Codec Issue - Combining projects Pre9
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

You should use Share/Computer/AVI using the DV setting.

When you've output all of your videos, open a new project (using the DV project preset) and the videos will load right into it.

• 2. Re: DVI AVI/Codec Issue - Combining projects Pre9
            nealeh Level 5

Did you ensure that you set your Project Preset (for the one into which you are adding the shared DV-AVIs) to NTSC-Widescreen?

Try sharing with the NTSC Standard setting and see what happens if you import the shared file into a NTSC Standard Project.

1.png

Cheers,
            --
            Neale
            Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 3. Re: DVI AVI/Codec Issue - Combining projects Pre9
              onlinetravels Level 1

I was able to create a new project and drop in the files (DV NTSC standard), but there is a noticeable quality difference.

When I converted the files to AVI, tried both  the DV NTSC Standard (can import) and DV NTSC Widescreen (get mismatch error message when importing) presets.

pre9 save dv ntsc widescreen.png

When I drop the AVI files into a newly created file...tried both DV (standard and widescreen) and Flip preset, the quality degrades.  Looks like the frame drops from 1280x720 to 720x480.  Is that why?  If I created the video with the Flip setting (1280x720), convert to DV NTSC standard as an AVI, then drop into newly created DV project, don't get the same quality as the original.

All new areas for me.  Thinking in the future if there is really no way to control video quality with converting etc., then to keep a running project open until I'm ready to burn a DVD.  More difficult to work within a larger file than 3 smaller files, but I don't want a degration in quality.

New preset for combined.png

Thank you.

• 4. Re: DVI AVI/Codec Issue - Combining projects Pre9

DV-AVIs are 720x480 pixels in size.

If you want to work in hi-def video, you'll need to use a different output format at a different size and a different project setting.

However, since you initially asked about created DV-AVIs, it's not clear exactly what you're trying to do and what you're ultimately trying to produce a video for. (A DVD? Online? A BluRay?)

• 5. Re: DVI AVI/Codec Issue - Combining projects Pre9
                  onlinetravels Level 1

Hello Steve,

The ultimate goal is to produce a family video DVD with 3 events that can be selected thru the menu.   I created 3 separate projects in PRE 9 with the FLIP preset.  I then realized that I couldn't cut and paste one project into another project.  What I have gleaned so far,  is that I need to create a new project with a DV NTSC preset and drop the 3 projects into that.  In doing so, I notice the quality has degraded.  What I am assuming (but can be completely off base here) is the original projects created with a FLIP setting were at a higher resolution frame setting.  The new project (created to drop the 3 converted AVI files into) is with the DV NTSC setting, with a lower resolution, frame setting.  Is this the cause for the video degradation?

I don't know if there is a discernable visual difference between the 720x480 and HD.  Just happened to use the FLIP camera that captures at 720.  If the process you described is the same and not too complicated, what output format/project setting would you recommend?  The objective is to create a single DVD with 3 menus for the 3 different events.  This would be viewable on a home DVD player.  Does HD require a BluRay burner?

Thank you kindly.

• 6. Re: DVI AVI/Codec Issue - Combining projects Pre9
                    onlinetravels Level 1

Thank you.  Yes converting to the standard format allowed me to import the AVI file.  The wide screen format

generated a mismatch error.

• 7. Re: DVI AVI/Codec Issue - Combining projects Pre9

As I said, DVDs are only standard TV resolution, 720x480 pixels. So you will see reduced resolution when you go to standard resolution from your 1280x720 -- but you shouldn't see a reduction in quality. (I guess it depends on how you define a "quality.")

So output each of your Flip video projects as 720x480 DV-AVIs -- then gather them all into a standard DV project for your final mix-down.