8 Replies Latest reply on Dec 30, 2010 5:15 AM by nealeh

Time Lapse

LiamDjuron

Hi, I'm new here and this is my first post.  I've searched here and other forums without luck, so I figured I give this a shot.

I made about 60 photo's of a dragon flower as it bloomed with my Pentax k7.  I have Premiere Elements which I installed on my main computer (XP) but when I tried to use it a message appeared that I would have to uninstall it and re-install it.  I tried this but my disk reader would not recognize the disk.  It's not the computer because it recognizes other disks.  It isn't the disk either as I was able to install it on my sons' laptop.  It must have been something else.

Anyway, I am trying to make a time lapse video, or stop action with these photo's of the dragon flower blooming.  Has anyone here done something like this, and if so could someone give me a few pointers?

Thank you,

Bill

• 1. Re: Time Lapse
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Bill,

Welcome to the forum.

For the DVD reading issue, you might try to make a copy of that disk, with a program, like the free ImgBurn, and try that copy.

For the time-lapse, I like about a 3 sec. Clip per image, but that will depend on the effect that you want. For that, experimentation might be needed, but basically, here is how I do it:

In Edit>Preferences change the default for stills to the number of Frames that you want. In my example, that would be 30 FPS x 03 sec, or 90 Frames. I'd also shorten the default Transition to something like 02 sec. (might need to experiment with this too) - maybe longer Transitions would suit you better?

Scale the images to near the Frame Size of your Project, say 720 x 480 for an NTSC DV Project in PSE, or PS. Import a few of those image to test. They will come in with a 03 sec. Duration (per my example). From the Project Panel, drag them to the Timeline, and apply a Cross-Dissolve between them. Render for smoothest playback, by hitting the Enter key. Play and watch. How does this look for you?

Some people like to Import single Frames, and not use a Dissolve - just depends on the subject and the effect desired. In that case, you'd set the Default Still Duration to 1 Frame, Import again, and Render, then play and watch.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Time Lapse
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

There are several discs in the box, so:

First, make sure you're installing the Windows version of the program.

And, second, make sure you're putting in the installation disc for the program first -- not for the content. The installation files for the Premiere Elements are ON THE SAME DISC as the installation files for Photoshop Elements.

Also, once you do have the program installed, let us know. Doing time lapse is easy with this program. So is creating an animation from several photos -- if, as Bill says, those photos are sized to no larger than 1000x750 pixels in size.

• 3. Re: Time Lapse
              LiamDjuron Level 1

Hi Bill (or Hunt ?), and thanks for the quick answer.  I'm off to try exactly what you gave me.  Only one question, how do you change the time between images?  I've imported about 20 of the photo's into a project, discovered the transitions, but am unable to find a way to shorten the length of time between images.  My ultimate goal is to have about a 5 second short video of the flower blooming.  I skipped about 3 images in between the ones I used in the project, so intially it will be choppy, but I was just trying to get the procedure down to start.  The 'video' ran, but there was about 5 seconds between the transitions I could not shorten.

Thanks again,

Bill

• 4. Re: Time Lapse
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Didn't you say the program wouldn't install, Bill?

I'm confused which issue we're trying to help you with.

• 5. Re: Time Lapse
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Bill,

Unless things have changed in PrE 9, one needs to go to Edit>Preferences and set the Still Duration BEFORE Importing. Just Delete those images from the Project Preset. Go to Edit>Preferences and make the change, then Import them again. The Edit>Preferences Transition Default can be changed at any time, until you apply one, then it will only apply to later Transitions, not to any, that have already been applied.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Time Lapse
                    LiamDjuron Level 1

Bill, I did read about setting a default, and having to remove images then put them back in.  I will do that before I proceed.

Also, you mentioned as I believe Steve did (thank you also Steve) that the images must be of a certain size.  My camera is a 14.2 mp camera, so I guess I will need to drop them in size before proceeding?  I'm having a little trouble understanding the 'size' parameters here and in Photoshop Elements.  Not to add more of my problems for you guys to solve, but when I put a photo in Photoshop Elements (or any other image software) and I select the 'Resize' option, it says that my image is 19.467 inches by 12.933 inches, at a resolution of 240 pixels/inch.  How does an image print in 4x6 size from what is shown on the software?  When I take my images to a place that prints, I just put in the picture and select the size I want.  Does their software do the resize?  If I want to make a composite picture and need to resize the moon so it will look appropriate for example, do I do this by resizing?  I used to have all this under control.  I can't get my HP computer (XP) to talk to my HP printer (8500).  I've called HP and Adobe, but each of them faults the other.  I used to use MGI photosuite and had no problems with any of this.  I'm not brand new to this kind of stuff as I've written S/W programs before, but Photoshop is confusing to me.  I even bought a guide (Elements for Dummies) but don't understand that very well either.

Sorry, I'll save the one about image size for later.  Your reminder about the size limit of the images in my project lead me to try to understand that too.

I'll give what you said a try and report back.  Thanks for your assistance and patience...

Bill

• 7. Re: Time Lapse
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

As for the photo lab, yes, their software does the Scaling to your chosen size.

In this ARTICLE, Neale has kindly furnished the details for using PSE, as things differ a bit from PS. I can tell you exactly how to do it in PS, but am totally lost in PSE - that's where Neale, Steve and others will be helpful.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Time Lapse
                        nealeh Level 5

Also take a look at: stop motion primer? (stupid newbie question)

Cheers,
                        --
                        Neale
                        Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children