30 Replies Latest reply on Feb 23, 2012 12:48 AM by Axel Matt

How do I edit 1080/50p from my TM700

yobjim111

I have a Panasonic TM700 and am not sure if Premiere Pro CS5 can edit my footage and if it can, what preset should

I use. (my computer handles the raw footage perfectly, I just don't know how to edit it)

• 1. Re: How do I edit 1080/50p from my TM700
          Colin Brougham Level 6

Drag a clip to the New Item icon at the bottom of the project panel, or create a custom sequence preset using Desktop Editing Mode.

• 2. Re: How do I edit 1080/50p from my TM700
            Harm Millaard Level 7

You will notice that it will be interpreted as 25P, but for the rest it is perfectly editable, only not in 50P because Panasonic chose to introduce a new video format that not even their other products support, not even their top-of-the-line BR players or recorders.

For the time being the 25P format is the best you can get from 50P, untill Panasonic or other players in this field make machines available to export to 50P, which is a long time off IMO.

The source material is nice though, just a pity you can't edit in that format nor export in that format.

Be sure to use the 5.1 audio recording when shooting. The LPCM format gives you trouble.

• 3. Re: How do I edit 1080/50p from my TM700
              willem brouwer

Harm's response is not correct!

It is very well possible to process 50P in CS5.

The only issue is, there is no predefined sequence preset available for 50P so you will have to define your own custom sequence preset (as stated earlier by Colin).

Indeed, 50P does not "fit" in the current BR standard, however if you store your video on other media (e.g. I store it on a NAS), than you will be able to perfectly play them on 50P.

• 4. Re: How do I edit 1080/50p from my TM700
                Harm Millaard Level 7

Willems answer is completely incorrect!!!

Show me where to set 50p.

It is not available here:

30-12-2010 15-55-30.jpg

nor here:

30-12-2010 15-58-00.jpg

It just can't be done.

50p can be defined with 720 material, just not with 1080 material.

• 5. Re: How do I edit 1080/50p from my TM700
                  SteveHoeg Adobe Employee

1080 50p sequences and clips are supported. They are not available under the AVCHD presets but you can create your own if you set the editing mode to desktop. Dragging these clips to the new item icon will set this up for you.

• 6. Re: How do I edit 1080/50p from my TM700
                    Colin Brougham Level 6

Show me where to set 50p.

It just can't be done.

50p can be defined with 720 material, just not with 1080 material.

Really? I mean... really?

1080-50p.PNG

Harm, you know perfectly well that Editing Mode is simply a shortcut to setting parameters for certain established formats, but in reality, is completely meaningless in terms of Premiere Pro's capability to edit a given format. Of course, this 1080/50p (or 60p) material is outside of the AVCHD spec, but that is irrelevant when it comes to editing in or exporting from Premiere Pro.

• 7. Re: How do I edit 1080/50p from my TM700
                      Angus(silentG) Level 1

Darn it! I just sold my TM700 based on Harm's comment.

• 8. Re: How do I edit 1080/50p from my TM700
                        Harm Millaard Level 7

Colin,

Explain this to me:

30-12-2010 16-52-49.jpg

By means of desktop settings the sequence is 50p.

Click on the properties of a clip in this timeline and it shows:

30-12-2010 16-53-22.jpg

Why does it keep the interpretation at 25 fps?

Why can't you interpret the footage as 50 fps?

This is footage from a TM700.

If you interpret the footage as 50 fps, both video and audio are speeded up.

Look here:

30-12-2010 17-04-46.jpg

This is shown as the properties.

30-12-2010 17-05-29.jpg

This is shown after interpreting the footage and finally,

30-12-2010 17-05-48.jpg

this happens to the time-line.

• 9. Re: How do I edit 1080/50p from my TM700
                          Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I do not own the camera but i have a bunch of 50p clips from this camera and they edit just fine in Premiere.

They are interprete as 50p and since 5.0.3. update they run even better.

700 properties.png

• 10. Re: How do I edit 1080/50p from my TM700

Something is not quite right. Look at the duration in the last pic.

Are you sure you filmed in 50p and not 50i.

Message was edited by: Ann Bens

• 11. Re: How do I edit 1080/50p from my TM700
                              Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

Check your second Interpret Footage screen cap.  You forgot to interpret the field order. It needs to be set Progressive, not Upper Field First.  That would explain the 2x speed of the interpreted clip.

-Jeff

• 12. Re: How do I edit 1080/50p from my TM700
                                SteveHoeg Adobe Employee

The 1080 50p clips I have from this camera have the proper framerate and field order without needing to interpret footage. Something seems wrong here.

• 13. Re: How do I edit 1080/50p from my TM700
                                  Harm Millaard Level 7

Jeff,

That does not work. Same problem.

• 14. Re: How do I edit 1080/50p from my TM700
                                    willem brouwer Level 1

Start a new project

Start a new sequence

Select custom and put an own name there (e.g. TM700)

Select TM700

Select the "general" tab

Enter the settings

editing mode = desktop

time base = 50 frames per second

frame size 1920:1080

square pixels

progressive scan

display format 50 fps

Start editing your video

When finished select: export - media

Export settings: match sequence settings

That is it!

• 15. Re: How do I edit 1080/50p from my TM700
                                      Harm Millaard Level 7

Does not work.

Tried it in two different versions of CS5 and no go.

Sequence settings:

30-12-2010 18-09-35.jpg

and clip properties:

30-12-2010 18-10-20.jpg

Still persisting in 25 FPS.

• 16. Re: How do I edit 1080/50p from my TM700
                                        Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

Then I agree with Ann and Steve that something is seriously wrong with your system and/or project.

-Jeff

• 17. Re: How do I edit 1080/50p from my TM700
                                          SteveHoeg Adobe Employee

This appears to be a problem with the footage. I would double check the camera settings, the clips I have seem to work fine. I've found an online sample, Harm can you try this file:

http://www.aktiv-verlag.com/~webvideos/testvideos/2010/panasonic/Panasonic_HDC_TM_700_P_50 p.MTS

• 18. Re: How do I edit 1080/50p from my TM700
                                            Angus(silentG) Level 1

File Path: /Volumes/RSS G-DRIVE Mini/Jacks 2010 Hoop/Week 5/STREAM/00000.MTS

Type: MPEG Movie

File Size: 507.6 MB

Image Size: 1920 x 1080

Pixel Depth: 32

Frame Rate: 59.94

Source Audio Format: 48000 Hz - compressed - 6 channels

Project Audio Format: 48000 Hz - 32 bit floating point - 6 channels

Total Duration: 00:02:47:00

Average Data Rate: 3.0 MB / second

Pixel Aspect Ratio: 1.0

• 19. Re: How do I edit 1080/50p from my TM700
                                              Powered by Design Level 4

Here is what it shows on mine Todd.

I just dragged it to the new item and it works fine here.

Glenn

picture052.jpg

picture053.jpg

• 20. Re: How do I edit 1080/50p from my TM700
                                                Colin Brougham Level 6

There are only two logical conclusions I can think of:

1. You have 50i clips, not 50p. Something like MediaInfo should confirm this.
                                                2. If they are 50p, then Premiere Pro borked them on import--I have had this happen with MPEG media when the "Write XMP IDs on Import" option is checked in Preferences > Media. Unfortunately, once this happens, the files are broken; you might be able to demux and remux to fix them, but that's an awful workaround.

Beyond that... dunno.

• 21. Re: How do I edit 1080/50p from my TM700
                                                  Harm Millaard Level 7

Steve,

Glad to see you use some of the same sources of information as I do. I have a subscription to Video Aktiv to keep me up-to-date and it is a nice source of info.

The video you pointed me to shows up as 50p. I have asked my son, whose clips I am using here, to check the video camera settings and report back. I just copied the files to my hard disk and had these properties show up. I'll get back to you once I have further info. Meanwhile, did you have the opportunity to check your mail?

Colin,

I first want to hear from my son about his camera settings before I take any drastic measures. Thanks for trying to figure this out.

• 22. Re: How do I edit 1080/50p from my TM700

Send me a file with YouSendIt and i will check it out for you.

• 23. Re: How do I edit 1080/50p from my TM700
                                                      Colin Brougham Level 6

Yes, I certainly wouldn't recommend the demux/remux course of action except for life-or-death circumstances No guarantees that would even work--I've had Premiere corrupt files so that they won't even open in external players.

Based on the fact that you can open the clip Steve linked to and it shows up as 50p, and that other folks are able to import 50p/60p media from this camera, it sure does sound like a case of mistaken identity, more than anything. Does GSpot open these clips? If so, what does it report? I use MediaInfo instead of GSpot, and I know that it properly identifies these clips as 50p/60p.

Interested to hear the resolution...

• 24. Re: How do I edit 1080/50p from my TM700
                                                        Harm Millaard Level 7

Gspot does not open the files. Still waiting to hear from my son, but I guess he is partying.

• 25. Re: How do I edit 1080/50p from my TM700
                                                          Colin Brougham Level 6

Good man...

Here's what MediaInfo reports for the clip linked to above (just for reference):

General
                                                          ID                               : 1 (0x1)
                                                          Complete name                    : E:\_COMMON_\Test Projects\Footage\Panasonic_HDC_TM_700_P_50p.MTS
                                                          Format                           : BDAV
                                                          Format/Info                      : Advanced Video Codec
                                                          File size                        : 140 MiB
                                                          Duration                         : 46s 23ms
                                                          Overall bit rate                 : 25.5 Mbps
                                                          Maximum Overall bit rate         : 28.0 Mbps

Video
                                                          ID                               : 4113 (0x1011)
                                                          Menu ID                          : 1 (0x1)
                                                          Format                           : AVC
                                                          Format/Info                      : Advanced Video Codec
                                                          Format profile                   : High@L4.2
                                                          Format settings, CABAC           : Yes
                                                          Format settings, ReFrames        : 4 frames
                                                          Format settings, GOP             : M=3, N=24
                                                          Codec ID                         : 27
                                                          Duration                         : 46s 20ms
                                                          Bit rate mode                    : Variable
                                                          Bit rate                         : 24.3 Mbps
                                                          Maximum bit rate                 : 26.0 Mbps
                                                          Width                            : 1 920 pixels
                                                          Height                           : 1 080 pixels
                                                          Display aspect ratio             : 16:9
                                                          Frame rate                       : 50.000 fps
                                                          Color space                      : YUV
                                                          Chroma subsampling               : 4:2:0
                                                          Bit depth                        : 8 bits
                                                          Scan type                        : Progressive
                                                          Bits/(Pixel*Frame)               : 0.234
                                                          Stream size                      : 133 MiB (95%)

Audio
                                                          ID                               : 4352 (0x1100)
                                                          Format                           : AC-3
                                                          Format/Info                      : Audio Coding 3
                                                          Mode extension                   : CM (complete main)
                                                          Codec ID                         : 129
                                                          Duration                         : 46s 112ms
                                                          Bit rate mode                    : Constant
                                                          Bit rate                         : 256 Kbps
                                                          Channel(s)                       : 2 channels
                                                          Channel positions                : Front: L R
                                                          Sampling rate                    : 48.0 KHz
                                                          Bit depth                        : 16 bits
                                                          Compression mode                 : Lossy
                                                          Video delay                      : -40ms
                                                          Stream size                      : 1.41 MiB (1%)

Text
                                                          ID                               : 4608 (0x1200)
                                                          Format                           : PGS
                                                          Codec ID                         : 144
                                                          Duration                         : 45s 536ms
                                                          Video delay                      : -40ms

• 26. Re: How do I edit 1080/50p from my TM700

Gspot does not read mts you need Mediainfo.

• 27. Re: How do I edit 1080/50p from my TM700
                                                              gearo

Hi

Not sure if this thread is still "active".

Got the same problem with my 1080p 50fps source files.

Can edit in 50p per above but cannot find a way to export with chosen bitrate the 50p timeline material.

Can you help as I've tried everything !

thanks.

• 28. Re: How do I edit 1080/50p from my TM700
                                                                Axel Matt Level 4

Hi,

Also in the current version of Premiere there is not pre-setting export for 1080 50p available. But you can still export with 50p. Goto to "HDTV 1080 25p", I don't know the exact title, and then change the FPS setting to 50 fps.

You can save this settings for further usage as a custom export setting.

Regards from Germany

Axel

• 29. Re: How do I edit 1080/50p from my TM700
                                                                  yobjim111 Level 1

sorry I never managed anything either