9 Replies Latest reply on Sep 2, 2011 8:35 AM by Navarro Parker

Premiere Pro CS5 takes up to 40 minutes to start up

SpeedRacer19

Hi everybody,

I am having issues with our copy of Premiere Pro CS5 - as I mentioned above, it can take up to 40 minutes, or longer, for it to create a new or load a previous project. I work at a school and we have a computer lab with 30 iMacs, running OS X 10.6.5, with the Adobe CS5 Master Collection installed on all of them. We also have a Mac server (Mac Mini) that runs Open Directory, which is used for authentication.

The issue only occurs when a networked user logs on - when I log in with a local user account, everything runs fine. I know this has to be some kind of permissions issue, I just do not know exactly what to look for, as I am a bit of a noob when it comes to Adobe, or Apple products, for that matter. I have been looking for a solution for quite a while - I reinstalled Premiere, Googled, and looked on the forums, all with no luck. I found similar posts, but they were not exactly like mine. I would really appreciate any help that I can get on this matter. Thank you.

Regards,

Nikita

P.S: the firewall is off on all of the computers.

• 1. Re: Premiere Pro CS5 takes up to 40 minutes to start up
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>when I log in with a local user account, everything runs fine

Designed for local use, not on a network... as you have seen... simply run in local mode

• 2. Re: Premiere Pro CS5 takes up to 40 minutes to start up
            SpeedRacer19 Level 1

We did consider it, but only as the last resort, since it does not give us the same flexibility. This way the users can save their work on the server, instead of locally.

• 4. Re: Premiere Pro CS5 takes up to 40 minutes to start up
              SpeedRacer19 Level 1

All of the other CS5 applications work fine, Premiere is the only one that is giving us issues. What makes Premiere different from, lets say, Dreamweaver or Photoshop?

• 5. Re: Premiere Pro CS5 takes up to 40 minutes to start up
                John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>What makes Premiere different

Todd or another employee may be able to give a technical answer

As a user who has been reading in the Premiere forums going back to 2002 and Premiere 6x I will only say that everything I have ever read, in a discussion like this, is that all versions of Premiere are designed to be run by one user on one computer... with local, not network, settings... so the program may be "tuned" to do the best possible job for that one user

This is simply a design decision that has never been changed... the product is simply not designed to do what you want

I am sure there is video editing software written to be multi-user and/or network operated... but I don't have any idea what that might be (if you want Hollywood studio team editing functionality, you'll have to pay Hollywood studio prices)

• 6. Re: Premiere Pro CS5 takes up to 40 minutes to start up
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

John,

Autodesk Flame, Fire, Combustion and the like will do that on Unix/Linux systems for the meager sum of $ 100 K and upwards, not counting the required hardware. So it is quite feasible for people with deep pockets...

• 7. Re: Premiere Pro CS5 takes up to 40 minutes to start up
                    Jim_Simon Level 8

Yeah, I'd consider that "Hollywood prices".

• 8. Re: Premiere Pro CS5 takes up to 40 minutes to start up
                      Andrey V Level 2

Well even if you work on the PC locally and all of your assets and project saved on the network in one of the network folders it should work just fine. All what you need is to open all permissions to that particular folder, and make sure that al,l of the media cache files on all of the workstation, that accessing the same project, is pointed to the common network folder for media cache. This will speed up process of loading project, because premiere wont have to create another media cache files.

I keep all my media, and audio, and AE templates in the network folders, or in other works on the server. I also created a Media Cache folder as well on the server, so that it will not be recreated locally every time I open the project. All three PCs have access to those folders and any one of them can open the project from the same location, save it back and next morning other pc user can do the same thing, without problems.

You cannot work on the same project at the same time, but surly it can be opened from network location and saved back. However you have in the project an AE sequence and it is in the network, other user can work on it and save back so that will get changes. Also I have my Audition guy doing his cleanups on Audio. All what I do is send it to edit in Audition, and save it in network folder he does the edit and saves it back I will get instant changes in my time line. One in the while premiere take time to update all of that but just reopening project solves that problem.

• 9. Re: Premiere Pro CS5 takes up to 40 minutes to start up
                        Navarro Parker Level 3

The default location of Adobe media cache and scratch directory is usually the user's home folder. If the account it located on a server, it's having to pipe it all through the network. And unless your Mac Mini has an internal SSD Raid, that's a lot to grind through your hard drive.

Have you tried setting the cache prefs to the local drive?

Also, what kind of drive do you have connected to the Mini? A Thunderbolt RAID, I hope.