7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 30, 2010 9:20 PM by JaySheldon

Can't capture in PSE4

JaySheldon

Hi

I've had no luck in getting my PC (a dualcore AMD 4800 with 2GB of RAM; Radeon x600 video card with 128 Mb of memory) to capture from my Canon ZR900 digicam via a Firewire cable. PSE4 says the camera is offline, and no matter what I do I can't change it. I've checked the settings: Capture FOrmat is set to DV, importing from a DV camera, widescreen. Device Control is set to DV. Device Brand is set to Generic. Device Type is set to Standard (If I set Device Brand to Canon, the Device Type doesn't list the ZR900)

NOTE-- Windows XP (SP3) sees the camera when I set it to Play. I CAN capture video using Windows Movie Maker. GrafEdit shows the only video capture source is "Microsoft DV Camera and VCR."

What am I doing wrong?

PentaxMan

• 1. Re: Can't capture in PSE4
          JaySheldon Level 1

Sorry for confusion. Message should have said PSP4, althought I hope that was obvious.

PentaxMan

• 2. Re: Can't capture in PSE4
            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Try one of these for SD capture

http://windv.mourek.cz/ or http://www.scenalyzer.com/main.html
            Do note that the demo version of ScenalyzerLive puts a watermark in the files it creates
            - I'm told that the OLD version is freeware... check the download page for details
            • 3. Re: Can't capture in PSE4
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I agree with John. There are programs that can conflict with Premiere Elements capture program (Nero, for instance).

And, rather than fight with them, sometimes the easiest solution is to use a free capture program like WinDV.

When WinDV captures from a miniDV camcorder over a FireWire connection, the AVIs it produces are perfectly compatible with Premiere Elements.

• 4. Re: Can't capture in PSE4
                JaySheldon Level 1

Hi

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I have the free version of Nero on my PC, as well as a program called PowerDVD, which has a video capture feature. Should I delete them?

PentaxMan

• 5. Re: Can't capture in PSE4
                  John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>Should I delete them?

If you need the functions they provide you don't need to delete them... just be aware that not all software is "nice" to each other, so you sometimes have to use an alternate process

Another thing Nero is known to do is get in the way of PreEl being able to directly write a disc, so the workaround is to create output as a hard drive folder and then use the FREE http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=download to write the folder to disc

• 6. Re: Can't capture in PSE4
                    the_wine_snob Level 9
                    Message should have said PSP4, althought I hope that was obvious.

Just to clear things up for me, you have Premiere Elements 4.0, correct?

I have a similar Canon to yours, plus PrElements 4.0 and your same OS. I normally do my miniDV tape Captures on my workstation w/ ScenAlyzer Live, and edit in PrPro 2.0, I will set up my ZR-70 for my laptop, with PrE 4.0, and give it a try. If things go, as I hope they will, I will report my exact steps.

As for PowerDVD, I have the commercial version (older now, and cannot recall the version) and on the laptop, the free version. I have never had any issue with either of those, and use them as my default DVD software players. You taught me something, as I did not know that PowerDVD had a Capture module. Now, my CyberLink PowerDirector (NLE program), on my workstation, has never caused any conflicts with PrPro 2.0, but I do not have PrE 4.0 on that computer, so cannot comment on how well those two programs "play" with each other. Still, PrE's "big-brother" has no issues coexisting with PowerDirector (or Magix MovieEdit Pro). I do have modules of Nero on both machines, but NONE of the packet-writing, file watching, organizing or DVD authoring stuff. Each was a totally custom install, of just the modules that I want.

Will get to my tests later today, and will report.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Can't capture in PSE4
                      JaySheldon Level 1

Hi

Sorry to take so long to reply, but i was out most of the day.

Yes, I have Premiere Elements 4.0

Nero BackItUp is an OEM version that's several years old v. 1.2.0.53

Similarly, the version of PowerDVD v 5/Power Producer 2 Gold is freeware several years old> Must have come with the LG DVD drive.

PentaxMan