New PC

yasied

Greetings,

Im building a new desktop computer and i have the following in mind

CORE I5 2.8 MHZ           PROCESSOR

DP55WB INTEL              MOTHERBOARD

4GB DDR 3                    RAM

1TB SATA                      HARD DRIVE

That's for the basic system but the great question is which graphic card should i get

the following options have been provided by stores nearby:

Geforce 210

Geforce 9500 GT

Ati radeon HD4670

Ati radeon HD4570

All of them have 1GB of memory.

I'm going to be using CS5 Premiere Pro Mainly and a little of AE, i work on DV only so i dont need HD then:

1)  is this system OK to work with CS5?

2) Does anyone have a clue about how long would take to render a 10 minutes video with let's say 2 effects.

Suggestions are welcome......

• 1. Re: New PC
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Back on the hardware page, look up to

Hardware Guidance -- Look here first, it's the best way to start

Click there and read all the articles

Only one hard drive is not going to work very well

Read Harm on drive setup http://forums.adobe.com/thread/662972?tstart=0
          - click the embedded picture in Harm's message to enlarge to reading size
          - you need AT LEAST 2 drives for video editing, 3 is better

Read Hunt on Partitions http://forums.adobe.com/thread/650708?tstart=0

• 2. Re: New PC
            Harm Millaard Level 7

If you look at the PPBM5 Benchmark you will probably end up near the bottom of the Results list with a time of 900 - 1000 seconds. For purely DV material your system will be around 4 - 5 times slower than a fast system, if you include HD material in the equation it will be around 15 - 20 times slower than a fast system.

• 3. Re: New PC
              yasied Level 1

Thanks,

I reviewed the pages u suggested before postin, but i couldn't find any case exactly as mine that's why i decided to start a new topic

Also i forgot to mention that that's the stuff im buyin and i already own another HDD at home so im gonna be workin with both.

Would u suggest me installin CS3 or CS4 instead of CS5 in my new pc?

• 4. Re: New PC
                Harm Millaard Level 7

Look at Farid Nasiri with 715 seconds (with a GTX 460) with an otherwise pretty comparable system, apart from the disk setup and of course graphics card. That is why I predict somewhere around 900 - 1000 seconds for your system.

CS5.

• 5. Re: New PC
                  Jim_Simon Level 9

I'd get the 210 graphics card and definitely use CS5 over the older versions.

• 6. Re: New PC
                    yasied Level 1

ok two fast questions

when u say about 900 to 1000 seconds what are we talking about?

and when u say my system would be 4-5 times slower than a fast system what system are we talking about? i mean what would that "fast system" be?

thanks a lot.

• 7. Re: New PC

Did you go to the results page at the http://ppbm5.com/ benchmark site?

That will answer your questions about the meaning of a FAST system... and where a system like yours will be... which is about at the bottom

• 8. Re: New PC
                        yasied Level 1

Duh,

Off course i went to the results page at the http://ppbm5.com/ benchmark site, but if that really answered my questions i wouldn't still be asking dont u think so?

Besides someone before in this thread mentioned a fast system and the question was directed to that person not to you.

• 9. Re: New PC
                          Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant

Why would you go with an Intel motherboard? To my knowledge I do not believe you could overclock it to gain additional free speed..

Can you get to a Microcenter store?  If you can walk into one you can pick up an i7-950 for only about $35 more and have a real processor

• 10. Re: New PC
                            Harm Millaard Level 7

What do you not understand?

A fast machine has test results like this: Disk - 56/65, MPEG - 20/25, H.264 - 43/54, MPE - 4/6, total time around 130.

Your expected results are likely to be: Disk - 200/250, MPEG - 300/350, H.264 - 200/250, MPE - 200/225, total time around 900/1000.

If you answer, it avoids confusion if you reply to the post you have a question about, instead of replying to your own post.

• 11. Re: New PC
                              bretdhogan

Since you'll be using Premiere Pro CS5 I'd suggest going with a GTX-470 video card to take advantage of the CUDA support and the MPE.

• 12. Re: New PC
                                yasied Level 1

I've found around the stores this other motherboard:  asus p7p55-m so is that one better? it says, on the official site, that i can easily  OC it.

Is that true? do i need OC anyway?

And another issue and i'm sure u've heard this before: ATI or NVIDIA?

are CUDA cores so important?

which one would u choose between these two models?

xfx ati hd 4670 pci express 2.0x16, 750 Mhz core clock speed, 1Gb video memory, 128 bits memory bus, GDDR3 memory, 1600 Mhz memory clock speed.

gigabyte geforce gt 220 pci express 2.0x16, 720 Mhz core clock speed, 1Gb video memory, 128 bits memory bus, GDDR3 memory, 1600 Mhz memory clock speed.

• 13. Re: New PC

Read http://forums.adobe.com/thread/773101?tstart=0

You need an Intel i7 950 if you are going to edit High Definition, which requires an X58 motherboard and AT LEAST 6Gig of memory, 12Gig is better... plus AT LEAST 2 hard drives, 3 drives are better

My CS5/AVCHD 1st Impressions http://forums.adobe.com/thread/652694?tstart=0 includes a link to the computer I built... since the GTX 285 is no longer sold, I would now go with a GTX 460 that is cooler and quieter and faster

For my home hobbyist, family movies (which means that I am not trying to recreate Star Wars with video effects or many layers) AVCHD editing is "as smooth as spreading warm butter on hot toast" (also the MP4 video from wife's Flip camera)

My 3 hard drives are configured as...
                                  1 - 320G WD Win7 and all programs
                                  2 - 320G WD Win7 swap file and PPro projects
                                  3 - 1T WD all video files... read and write

• 14. Re: New PC
                                    Crist OC/PC Level 2

ASUS P7P55

ASUS P7P55-M

Dear yasied 

These M.B. HAVE:  4 SLOT RAM MAX 16 DUAL CHANEL, 1 PCX 16X, Horrible coolin system and a integrated Video card .

Is a realy good toy  but not for video editing.

BTW not H.T.  It mean a loooooot.

We want you to make the best for your money please let ous know how mucht you are ready to use a we will give you good imputs.

ADK make good pc and they will give you the best for your money if you are not realy into hardwares as I can see.

Bill and Harms will tell you the best choices and try to get the info like something very usefull.

B.R.

Cristobal.

• 15. Re: New PC
                                      Harm Millaard Level 7

Of the top 20 performers on the PPBM5 Benchmark

12 out of 20 use an i7-980X processor,

12 out of 20 have overclocked their system,

5 out of 20 use dual Xeon X5680 systems with 48 GB memory,

1 out of 20 uses dual Xeon X5680 system with 24 GB memory.

19 out of 20 use a raid set-up.

Only 1 920 and 1 950 system, both overclocked and with only 12 GB memory, appear in that list.

It has been said before, the P55 mobo's are not suitable for editing. If you want to invest in a slow system, go ahead and get the P55 mobo and corresponding CPU, but even with overclocking it will still be slow. Around ten times slower than a fast system.

• 16. Re: New PC
                                        yasied Level 1

the answer to that is very simple,

I CAN'T AFFORD THAT