6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 30, 2010 3:57 PM by flyfishingpursuitsmad

Choosing File Formats

flyfishingpursuitsmad

How do I decide what (project format) file format to use when I create a project?

How do I decide what (preser) file format to se when I want to save a PC File?

What setting do I need to have set for the optimum video before I shoot in the camera. My content is outdoors either people casting or flyfishing on the water?

I have a Canon Vixia HFS21

• 1. Re: Choosing File Formats
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

The Vixia HFS21 is a multi-format camcorder.

If you plan to edit this video in Premiere Elements, I recommend you shoot only in MXP or FXP mode. Then, when you set up your Premiere Elements project, select the settings for AVCHD 1920x1080. Since the camcorder also shoots in either stereo or 5.1 audio, you should also choose the preset with audio settings that match whatever you've shot.

Selecting the right preset is the key to a successful video editing experience. In my books I spend considerable time showing you how to set up and a project and include a chart showing you which presets to select to match which camcorders.

You'll know you've selected the correct format in version 9 because, when you place the clips on your project timeline, there is not a red line above them.

• 2. Re: Choosing File Formats
            flyfishingpursuitsmad Level 1

Steve,

Thanks for your response.

So A few more questions.

I have the camera sent to FXP and then the frame speed at 30 seconds per frame on the camera. I also open the project for AVCHD 1920x1080.

Previous videos had the quality set to FXP but frame to the default of 60. However, I must admit changing to 30 frames on the camera did not seem to make that much of a difference.

In the attached file I did a screen shot. A few questions

I am in version 8, does the red line indicate that I did not get the correct format?

Also, how do I go about picking the correct file to save to for a PC?

Thanks

Mary Ann

• 3. Re: Choosing File Formats
              Stavros F. Level 1

While waiting for Steve's answers, I would just like to point out that if you get red horizontal lines just for a SMALL number of the clips you insert, it doesn't necessary mean that you set the wrong project (presets): it could simply mean that these specific clips are "difficult" and it is better to be rendered.

Just my 2 cents.

• 4. Re: Choosing File Formats
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

And, yes, you are correct. All AVCHD files will need to be rendered, no matter which project settings you've used, in version 8. One of the best features in version 9 is the ability to edit a number of video formats natively.

• 5. Re: Choosing File Formats
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Mary Ann,

Steve mentioned the Audio recording capabilities of your camera, and pointed out that you would need to set up your Project to match what you shoot.

As you are in the process of exploring the footage from the camera, and ways to edit it, I'd like to offer a short discussion on the two choices: DD 4.1 SS and stereo, for your Audio.

PrE can Import DD 5.1 SS, and allow you to easily edit that in a Project set up for it. However two things to consider, before making that choice.

1. PrE cannot Export/Share TO DD 5.1 SS, and that material will have to be down-mixed to stereo, at 48KHz 16-bit. You will loose the 5.1 SS, when you output your Project
                  2. When recording DD 5.1 SS with just the mics. built into the camera, one is often picking up a lot of Audio that they do not want, such as conversations behind the camera, noises behind and beside the camera, etc. To adequately record DD 5.1 SS, one would need 5 - 6, fairly specialized mics, a mixer, a recorder and skilled technicians. DD 5.1 SS is so much more than just a couple of mics pointing in 5 directions. Remember, 5.1 is basically 5 discrete channels, and the .1 is for LFE, which is usually not recorded, but mixed to in the studio.

Those comments might help you decide what you really need, regarding your Audio recording.

Good luck,

Hunt