4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 29, 2010 8:58 PM by M-323

How Would You......???

M-323 Level 1

hi there..

I have a situation where I have some grainy footage.

I have bought a 3rd party ap that really works well. much better results than the "reduce grain" filter in AE.

BUT its a 2hr live event and only several spots are grainy.

I could export the entire thing with the new 3rd party filter but that would also smooth out some of the good footage unnecessarily

2) Im not an AE expert by any stretch but if there was a way to "edit" the 2hr program within AE, then I could apply the filter to the bad footage only but I dont know how to edit parts within AE, then splice it all back together again?

3) is there a way to include AE as one of the "round trip" programs associated with Final Cut Pro? Like right now, I can "send" segments from FCP to Soundtrack Pro for instance. Is there anyway to do that with AE? (Im on version CS3) - this way, I think I could send the grainy pieces out to AE, fix them there, and they should update in FCP - but don't know how to make that association.

being as the FCP is all nicely edited right now, I dont want to copy out the pieces, fix them then replace them cause that might cause the audio to go out of sync, or the transitions to not work, or I usually get "insufficient content for edit" or some errors like that. plus I think that would be a lot of work, duplicating pieces, then re-importing them into FCP you know?

with a "roundtrip" it should update right in FCP after being fixed in AE.

any other suggestions would be great thanks.

• 1. Re: How Would You......???
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

If you have a single layer now, split it into multiple layers and apply your grain-reduction effect to each layer as needed.

BTW, if you're new to After Effects, I very strongly recommend that you learn the basics before tackling a real project. Here's a page that contains an ordered set of getting-started resources:

http://blogs.adobe.com/toddkopriva/2010/01/getting-started-with-after-eff.html

The time that you spend learning the basics will come back to you many times over as saved time (and better results) in future projects.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How Would You......???
            M-323 Level 1

thanks Todd,

you are right, most just try to jump in. Ive watched some tutorials on VideoCoPilot and played with it but thats about it. I will watch yours also.

so you area saying I can duplicate the layers.... lets say there are like 10 places where the effect needs to be added, then each layer, I would shave back the timeline to the area I want to fix and apply the effect, is that right? then render it out..... whats the best setting to use to render it out to if its going to be going to dvd Studio Pro?

• 3. Re: How Would You......???
              Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> so you area saying I can duplicate the layers....

Did you follow the link that I gave for splitting layers? Do so.

> whats the best setting to use to render it out to if its going to be going to dvd Studio Pro?

I know nothing about DVD Studio Pro. I'll assume that the same principle applies to it that applies to most post-production software: Give it a losslessly compressed intermediate file. I use a QuickTime movie with the PNG video codec when I hand files off to a friend who uses Final Cut Pro.

See this FAQ entry for information on choosing export settings:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/729526

• 4. Re: How Would You......???
                M-323 Level 1

Todd thanks.

the splitting layers link appears to be for CS5 but I will see if its somewhat the same as CS3 which I have.