8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 10, 2011 2:43 PM by eddiem100

How can I copy a clip to another video track?

KlausKi Level 1

I've been fiddling around to find a solution to this, but to no avail...

I have a video track containing a couple of clips. Now I want to copy a clip and paste it onto another video track in the same sequence. This seems to be an impossible task...

How can I do that?

Thanks for enlightening me!

• 1. Re: How can I copy a clip to another video track?
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Drag and drop from the project panel.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How can I copy a clip to another video track?
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Also, make sure to Target your destination Track.

One can do the drag to the Timeline from the Project Panel, or from the Source Monitor, where they would likely also set the In & Out Points.

What you are doing is placing an Instance of that Clip onto the Timeline. You can have virtually unlimited Instances and they can be identical, or they can have different In & Out Points, as is needed.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: How can I copy a clip to another video track?
              eddiem100 Level 1

Right click on the clip in the timeline you want to copy.  Select "copy".  Then select in the timeline the video track you want to copy TO.  Place your CTI (current time indicator) in the timeline where you want your clip to get pasted.  Then Go to your PrPro menu in the header, select EDIT>PASTE.  Voila!

What may confuse you and make it seem impossible is that you can right click on a clip in the timeline and "copy".  But when you go to right click and "paste" no context menu opens up.  You can of course use the EDIT>COPY and EDIT>PASTE command as well.

And what works even more easily is you can just use your Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V commands.  You can also copy and paste into the same video track and then just click and drag the new copy to whatever video track you want.

All of the above will copy and paste your audio tracks as well.  If you want to just copy the video then use the Alt key when selecting and it will only select the video or audio depending on what you try to select.

The basics are all well covered in Adobe Help and use this for starters:

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/premierepro/cs/using/WS1c9bc5c2e465a58a91cf0b1038518aef7-7d0ba .html

• 4. Re: How can I copy a clip to another video track?
                the_wine_snob Level 9

For more info on Track Targeting, see this ARTICLE.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: How can I copy a clip to another video track?
                  SuperOperater Level 1

If the video track you wanna copy to different one is made of more pieces of footage, click Ctrl+A to select them all (or u can do the same thing using the second tool in toolbox).

After that I would go for drag'n'drop method (while holding CTRL key) - or you can go for copy (but better via Shortcut Ctrl+C, and you will definitely have to paste it into new track with CTRL+V ------

If doing so, don't forget to mark (turn on) the track you want your copy to be placed at (left of the track wehre little buttons are - you have to highlight it) and put your cursor on the place where you wanna your copied clip to start in this new track!!!

It is not complicated to do at all,.....

Just try to use more of shortcuts, generally!!!! It will ease it up for you for sure!

You will need to use same Shortcut copy and paste technic if copying just effects from one cut on the timeline to others.... You go to Effects editing pallete, select the effect, copy it, and then select your shot in the timeline and Ctrl+V paste this effect and its attributes to new piece of video!!!!

• 6. Re: How can I copy a clip to another video track?
                    KlausKi Level 1

Thanks for all your most valuable replies!

It was particularly eddiem100's answer that helped me cope with my problem. I was indeed confused about the missing Paste context menu when right-clicking an empty video track. (Actually I was trying to copy one of the clip instances from one track to another just to check where it could fit).

Now I see... And I have learned a lot reading the help and other suggested links now. I am new to Premiere Pro and I still have to get more used to the GUI.

Thanks guys, and a happy new year!!!

Smilie by GreenSmilies.com

• 7. Re: How can I copy a clip to another video track?
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

We all have to start somewhere. The Help files (and this forum, but don't let Todd see that), are excellent resources.

I also highly recommend the Adobe Classroom in a Book for Premiere Pro CS5, Adobe Press. When one has completed that, they will have a very good basis for most things in PrPro. For everything else, there's Help (and this forum... )

Happy New Year too,

Hunt

• 8. Re: How can I copy a clip to another video track?
                        eddiem100 Level 1

Glad it helped you out.  That fooled me way in the beginning too! Good luck.