37 Replies Latest reply on Jan 11, 2011 8:23 PM by Captiv8r

Why do topic question mark icons have red x's?

Wish*~ Level 1

Hi,

I was given some RH files to update.  But when I open them in RH HTML v. 8, all the topics have red x's on them.  And when I try to open a topic, I get a TOC Page Properties dialog box.  Could you help?  It's possible I don't have the right files...

Thanks,

Erin

• 1. Re: Why do topic question mark icons have red x's?
          Captiv8r Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Hi Erin

A red x superimposed on a topic icon means that RoboHelp is expecting a topic to be present, but it's missing. At least from RoboHelp's standpoint.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7 or 8 moments from now - $24.95!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcererStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Why do topic question mark icons have red x's?
            Peter Grainge Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)

Do you have patch 8.0.2 applied? If not, see Opening Projects on my site.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

• 3. Re: Why do topic question mark icons have red x's?
              Jayy5

Hey, I've encountered the same problem.  I applied the patch and followed the steps, however, when I run the report for unused files, I have a big list.  My question is, where do I reimport the topics from?  As far as I can tell, the topics are all still present in the SSL folder.  Thanks in advance.

Jeff

• 4. Re: Why do topic question mark icons have red x's?

Hi there

If you see topics in the !SSL! folder you need to be leery about using those. LIkely they are WebHelp output topics. These topics share the same name as your source topics but are modified versions of the source topics. They will be rife with all sorts of JavaScript that will muck up your project if you repurpose them as source topics again without cleaning all the scripting out of them.

The best bet is to locate the true original source topics. So do more digging before resorting to WebHelp topics.

If you simply cannot find the source topics, you can use the WebHelp topics. Take a look at the link below for a method of dealing with that.

Click here to view

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcererStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Why do topic question mark icons have red x's?
                  Jayy5 Level 1

Thanks for the reply Rick!  Any suggestions on where these things could 'possibly' reside?  Do I look within Robohelp or somewhere in the output folder?  Thanks a lot.

Jeff

• 6. Re: Why do topic question mark icons have red x's?

Hi Jeff

Your question is not unlike approaching a total stranger and advise that your eggs have gone missing. Then asking if they might know where you put them.

By default, the topics should be found in the project location. One easy way to explore that location is to right-click topics in the Project Manager pod and choose Explore. Windows Explorer should then open at the project location. That would be similar to the stranger saying "well, eggs are usually kept inside the refrigerator. Have you looked inside the fridge?".

But projects are very much like eggs, As such, you are able to place them pretty much anywhere you want (within reason). So it's difficult to say "Try looking in this folder location" because when you (or whomever) set the folder up, it could have been placed anywhere. That's why the method I outlined earlier is probably the most reliable.

Hopefully this helps... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcererStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

• 7. Re: Why do topic question mark icons have red x's?
                      Jayy5 Level 1

Rick, great analogy!  Sorry about the uninformed question. Believe it or not though, they were in the 'fridge' so to speak.  All of my missing topics were right in the main project folder.  I'm assuming those files are different than those that are in the SSL folder.  I'll have to reimport them.  Strange that they dsappeared from within the robohelp project itself. Thanks for your help!

Jeff

• 8. Re: Why do topic question mark icons have red x's?

Hello again

I believe early on in this thread, my esteemed colleague Peter Grainge advised that it's vitally important to apply the patches to RoboHelp. This is because an issue was identified a while back that I believe caused the issue you have encountered.

So... before you attempt to put the project back into working order, you really do need to ensure RoboHelp is fully patched.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcererStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

• 9. Re: Why do topic question mark icons have red x's?
                          Wish*~ Level 1

Hi,

In the "fridge", the project location, there is an Ing file and an hhc file, a glo and an hhk.  Under the Project Files folder, the Ing file is the only one there.  However, in my folder for this project, all the html files are there.  It seems that RH is not recognizing them.  Why is that?  How can I get RH to recognize them? 

Could these htmls be output files and that is why RH doesn't recognize them? 

Another piece of information:  in my project folder, I do not have an folder.

Thanks for your help,

Erin

• 10. Re: Why do topic question mark icons have red x's?
                            Wish*~ Level 1

What I said there that may not have gone through is I don't have an ssl folder.

Erin

• 11. Re: Why do topic question mark icons have red x's?

Hi Erin

Are you able to post a screen capture of what you are seeing? I can't tell whether you are looking at RoboHelp or at Windows Explorer.

Have you ensured both of the service releases have been applied to RoboHelp HTML?

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcererStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

• 12. Re: Why do topic question mark icons have red x's?
                                A25CharacterScreenName Level 1

RoboHelp does not use the file system to track the files that are part of a project; rather, it stores the identity of those files in an XML file with the ".fpj" extension. Files in the root of a project folder are tracked in a file named "root.fpj." Files in sub-folders are tracked in a file in each subfolder with the same name as the sub-folder, and the sub-folder is recorded in the parent's ".fpj" file.

For example, say I have a project named "project" which includes files in a sub-folder named "appendix." In the "project" folder I will have a file "root.fpj" which will not only contain the names of all the files that make up the project (not all of the files in the folder are actually part of the project) but will also contain the entry:

<folders>
                                      <folder>
                                          <name>!Language!</name>
                                      </folder>
                                      <folder>
                                          <name>appendix</name>
                                      </folder>
                                  </folders>

In the "appendix" sub-folder there will also be a file named "appendix.fpj" which stores the names of all the files in that folder which should be included in the project.

If a file name is displayed in RoboHelp with a red 'X' that means the file name is referenced in the ".fpj" file, but does not exist in the file system (it has been deleted, not moved with the rest of the project, or perhaps not restored from version control). Simply restoring the file from wherever it has been saved will cause RoboHelp to begin tracking the file.

If a file exists in the file system but is not in a RoboHelp project contrary to your expectations, its name needs to be added to the appropriate project file. While I have had some success actually editing the ".fpj" file by hand to add the file names, I wouldn't recommend doing it; instead, simply import the file from the RoboHelp 'file->import' menu. Select the file that is in the project root folder (or sub-folder if one has been defined in RoboHelp), and NOT one that appears in the SSL sub-folder; as others have mentioned, that one has probably been pre-processed by the RoboHelp publication process, and will not reflect the actual working file. If the working file has been managed by RoboHelp in the past, it should remain unchanged after having been imported.

HTH

• 13. Re: Why do topic question mark icons have red x's?

Hi there

A25CharacterScreenName wrote:

...If a file name is displayed in RoboHelp with a red 'X' that means the file name is referenced in the ".fpj" file, but does not exist in the file system (it has been deleted, not moved with the rest of the project, or perhaps not restored from version control)....

Actually, this may not be the case whatsoever. RoboHelp 8 had a significant bug that was addressed with a patch. The bug caused a  mismatch between files RoboHelp expected to be present and what was  actually on the file system. In these cases, the files were actually present in the folder but RoboHelp essentially lost track of them. So it's critically important that both  patches be applied.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcererStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

• 14. Re: Why do topic question mark icons have red x's?
                                    Wish*~ Level 1

Rick,

I'm writing from my email address.  I cannot put screen captures in this email because it's plain text only.  How do I reply to a post within the Adobe Forum?  For some reason, I can't see how to do this.  I could put screen captures in that way.

By the way, I have applied two patches and am still seeing these problems.  My current version of RoboHelp is 8.0.2.208.

Thanks,

Erin

• 15. Re: Why do topic question mark icons have red x's?
                                      Jeff_Coatsworth Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Use the little camera icon on the message page to upload an image file of your screenshot.

• 16. Re: Why do topic question mark icons have red x's?

Hi Erin

How did you post initially? That puzzles me because to my knowledge, the initial forum post occurs via the web site.

At any rate, you click the link below to visit the thread and reply via the web interface. From the Web Interface you are able to insert images if you want.

Click here to view the thread

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcererStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

• 17. Re: Why do topic question mark icons have red x's?
                                          Wish*~ Level 1

Hi Rick,

Initially, I just created a post, that was easy enough.  And I've been able to reply to posts before using the interface.  But now I'm just not seeing anything I can click to reply to a post (what do you actually click?).  I think something may have gone away because this was easy for me before.  I am able to get to the thread fine.

Erin

• 18. Re: Why do topic question mark icons have red x's?
                                            Wish*~ Level 1

OK, I figured it out.  I was not logged in!

• 19. Re: Why do topic question mark icons have red x's?
                                              Wish*~ Level 1

Rick,

Here is what I'm seeing in RH:

RH_view.jpg

Also, all of the links are broken.

In Windows Explorer, I see html files that correspond to the files with red x's on the right TOC view in RH:

Explorer_view.jpg

Thanks,

Erin

• 20. Re: Why do topic question mark icons have red x's?

Hello again

Unfortunately I'm not seeing a complete picture. I do note that your Table of Contents entries are showing the red Xs, indicating that RoboHelp senses the topics the TOC entries link to may be missing.

What I had hoped to see was whether you were also seeing the red xs in the Project manager or the Topic List as shown below. If you see them there, RoboHelp is sensing that the topics may not be in the actual folder.

tmp1.PNG

Then you would look in the folder to see if the topic listed is actually present or not. It may or may not be.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcererStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

• 21. Re: Why do topic question mark icons have red x's?

Okay, what you're dealing with here is not the project definition, but the Table of Contents created within RoboHelp, and incidentally stored in the ".hhc" file you saw earlier.

Right click on one of the TOC "pages" that has a red X. Select "Properties". Capture a screen shot of the dialog box that comes up, post it here, and we'll use that to walk through the problem.

• 23. Re: Why do topic question mark icons have red x's?

Hello again

Sorry, but the screen capture doesn't help in this case.

Copy the text you see in the Link To area at the bottom of the dialog.

Paste that into Windows Notepad

Now examine the project location and see if you have a file matching that name in that exact location.

If you do, there are possibly other issues afoot that need to be addressed.

If you don't, then the topic is actually missing and you need to see if you can find it.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcererStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

• 24. Re: Why do topic question mark icons have red x's?
                                                      Wish*~ Level 1

Yes, I have a file of that exact name in the project location.

• 25. Re: Why do topic question mark icons have red x's?

But you don't have a file of that exact name in the project.

How  do I know? Because on January 7 you posted a screen shot of your  project, and under the "Project Files" view (which was expanded) the  only file that appeared was "RoboHHRE.lng." Apparently, your project has no content. Import the target file into your project, and the broken link should resolve itself.

Remember, RoboHelp does NOT use the file system to determine which files are part of a project. The  fact that a file exists in the RoboHelp project folder is virtually  meaningless. If a file does not appear in the RoboHelp "Project Files"  view, either as a topic file or as a baggage file, from RoboHelp's  perspective it does not exist! Look at the properties dialog you posted. The "Existing Topics" list should show every file and every bookmark in the project that the Table of Contents can reference. In your case that list is empty.

Start by using RoboHelp to re-import all of the relevant files in the RoboHelp project folder into your RoboHelp project. Then let us know if there are TOC references that remain unresolved.

(BTW, the "Broken Links" tree view is extremely helpful in finding files which have been referenced elsewhere but which are not included in the project definition.)

• 26. Re: Why do topic question mark icons have red x's?
                                                          Wish*~ Level 1

Thank you for all the help and information.  When I try to import the files (right click on Project Files and click Import, and select one or more files and click Open), I get an error (Adobe RH 8 has encountered a problem and needs to close) and then RH closes.

Am I doing something wrong?  If so, could you give me any instructions on how to import files into the project?  And would I just import the html files?  Those are the ones that seem to be missing.

Thank you!

Erin

• 27. Re: Why do topic question mark icons have red x's?

Are you (or have you been) using RoboHelp's Conditional Build Tags in your project? (CBT seems to be the area where RoboHelp is the buggiest).

• 28. Re: Why do topic question mark icons have red x's?
                                                              Wish*~ Level 1

Actually, I do not know, but it's quite possible.  I inherited these files from a writer in another branch of the company (different state) who is no longer with my company.  I'm tasked with making updates to the files. Unfortunately, there's no expertise in RoboHelp where I work, so there's no one I could ask about this here.

Is there a way I could tell if there are conditional build tags?  What do I look for?  I could look at an earlier version of the project if that would help.  It does not have these errors.

• 29. Re: Why do topic question mark icons have red x's?

When I have had RoboHelp just up and quit on me it's usually because of a  mismatch in CBT processing instructions resulting from me editing the  files outside of RoboHelp (it's hard to find a good WYSIWYG HTML editor,  and RoboHelp is no exception to this rule).

If you could import the files from an earlier version of the project, that would probably be the simplest solution (assuming it works). If it doesn't work (or if you're just plain curious about how RoboHelp works [or doesn't]) read on.

First of all, you are comfortable working with raw HTML in a simple text editor, right? Good.

RoboHelp implements Conditional Build Tags by inserting XML Processing Instructions into the XHTML source files. If you were to mark a paragraph with a CBT and then look at the HTML source you might see something like this:

<?rh-cbt_start condition="MyFilter" ?>

<p>This is a paragraph. It consistes of one of more complete sentences which discuss a single thought or topic. Do not use paragraphs as line-breaks; they are two completely different concepts.</p>

<?rh-cbt_end ?>

If you find a <?rh-cbt_start ?> Processing Instruction in a file, then that file uses Conditional Build Tags. If there is no "<rh-cbt_ ..." text in the file, then you can skip the next section (but you don't need to if you want to learn more about CBTs).

Every <?rh-cbt_start ?> PI requires a <?rh-cbt_end ?> PI. Block-level elements (<div>, <p>, <ol>, etc.) each need to have there own CBTs; nested CBTs around block-level elements tend to make RoboHelp confused. For example, if you were to build a file containing:

<?rh-cbt_start condition="MyFirstFilter" ?>

<p>Paragraph 1</p>

<p>Paragraph 2</p>

<p>Paragraph 3</p>

<?rh-cbt_end ?>

RoboHelp would import it, but after a single edit the above section would be rewritten as:

<p>Paragraph 1</p>

<?rh-cbt_end ?>

<p>Paragraph 2</p>

<?rh-cbt_end ?>

<p>Paragraph 3</p>

<?rh-cbt_end ?>

If, on the other hand, your original file was:

<p>Paragraph 1</p>

<?rh-cbt_start condition="MySecondFilter" ?>

<p>Paragraph 2</p>

<?rh-cbt_end ?>

<p>Paragraph 3</p>

<?rh-cbt_end ?>

you end up with your CBTs mixed together in a way I haven't quite figured out yet. While I cannot speak definitively, I think that if you don't get the end PI's just right RoboHelp goes into an infinite loop on loading the project, and the process tree has to be killed from the Task Manager.

My first suggestion is to start with a single file, and using a simple text editor go throught and delete every "<?rh-cbt_..." processing instruction you find.

If removing all CBT Processing Instructions does not fix your problem, you may have invalid XHTML files. As you may have gathered, RoboHelp is not very robust when loading files it did not create itself (or which you have hand-edited, like I frequently do); as a programmer, I'm not very tolerant of this kind of cavalier approacy to error handling.

There are a number of tools that can help detect invalid XHTML files. One of the most common (and the one built into RoboHelp) is the open-source HTML Tidy (http://tidy.sourceforge.net/). Some people like xmllint. The Microsoft

Visual Web Developer Express (free with registration) can also validate documents (and is a very good HTML editing environment as well).

Of course, troubleshooting a single HTML file by hand is not terribly difficult. Open the file in a text editor, and immediately after the body element place a comment string, ending the comment before the ending body element; viz:

<html>

<head>

</head>

<body>

<!-- this is a comment

this ends the comment -->

</body>

</html>

Try importing this file. If it still doesn't import you have bad headers (maybe an unterminated <meta> element?). If it succeeds, keep moving the starting comment down by paragraphs until the import is unsuccessful. Move the comment back to the last successful position. Then do the same with the closing comment, moving it up until unsuccessful. You should now have isolated the portion of the file that is causing the problem. Delete that section, and retype it inside RoboHelp.

I hope this has given you some ideas about where to go from here.

• 30. Re: Why do topic question mark icons have red x's?

You can see where a CBT is used by right clicking it and looking in the Used In tab.

I would need to check if that picks up topics with tags applied to text rather than the whole topic.

The easy way to remove a tag from text is to right click the text and click the Remove Attribute option. If it reads Remove Attributes (plural) then a dialog will open allowing you to pick the CBT.

@petergrainge

• 31. Re: Why do topic question mark icons have red x's?
                                                                    Wish*~ Level 1

I looked through some of the downlevel version files, and did not see any CBT.  However, I was able to import one of the HTML files into my current-level project.  I tried importing WebService Hierarchy.html.  When I did, I got two error messages.  First:

3rdpartyeditor.jpg

The html was opened in a Notepad file.  When I closed the notepad file and tried to open the file in RH again, it still opened in Notepad.  Then, I got this message:

Notepad_html_tags.jpg

I guess I may need to go back to the downlevel files and go forward from there since the source files seem buggy.  But I was wondering if these messages have any significance to the issues I'm having.  Now I'm not seeing the second message any more.

Thanks,

Erin

• 32. Re: Why do topic question mark icons have red x's?
                                                                      Wish*~ Level 1

Hi Peter,

To see the CBT, what do you right click?

Thanks,

Erin

• 33. Re: Why do topic question mark icons have red x's?

Please define or explain the phrase "downlevel file." (I can explain what you're seeing, but I need to be sure we're on the same page first.)

• 34. Re: Why do topic question mark icons have red x's?

What are downlevel files?

To associate a topic with the RoboHelp editor, right click and select it in the list displayed.

Topics that have a CBT applied will have a shaded background in Project Manager. If the CBT is applied to some of the content, that content will have a shaded background.

@petergrainge

• 35. Re: Why do topic question mark icons have red x's?
                                                                            Wish*~ Level 1

I have a version 3.5 or something (dowlevel/old files that do not have the latest revisions).  These files work fine.  The 4.0 files, the up-to-date version of files, are the ones I'm having trouble with- RH does not recognize that they are in the program and I'm having trouble importing them into the RH.

• 36. Re: Why do topic question mark icons have red x's?

When RoboHelp creates an HTML file, it adds the following <meta> tag in the <head> section of the document it creates:

<meta name="generator" content="Adobe RoboHelp 8" />

(thus the message about the "META/GENERATOR tags" you saw earlier).

When you double click on a topic in the "Project Files" list, RoboHelp first looks at the file to see if it contains this particular <meta> element. If it does, then it will open the file in the RoboHelp design view, otherwise it opens the file using the editor associated with the file extension in the Tools->Options->Associations dialog.

Personally I think it is unwise to edit a RoboHelp topic file in anything but the RoboHelp editor unless you really know what you are doing, so the association for your project files should all be set to the RoboHelp editor. There are a number of different ways to skin this particular cat.

1. When a file comes up in notepad (or other editor) copy the above line and paste it immediately before the <title> element in the <head> section. Save the file and close the editor. From now on the file will be opened in the RoboHelp design view.

2. Right click on the topic name in the "Project Files" list and select "Edit With->Design View". The file will open in the RoboHelp Design view. Make any kind of change to the file (add a space and then delete it) and save the file. RoboHelp will invisibly add the appropriate <meta> tag to the file and it will now always open in the Design View.

3. When you see the dialog "[name of editor] is currently associated with HTML files that do not have..." click 'Yes' to associate the Design View with these files. This should be what you want, and will have no impact outside of RoboHelp.

4. From the RoboHelp menu bar select Tools->Options. Select the 'Associations' tab in the dialog box that appears, and set the options according to your preferences.

Except for little housekeeping details, it doesn't sound like there is anything wrong with the files you're trying to import, or at least nothing's wrong with WebServiceHierarchy.html.

HTH

• 37. Re: Why do topic question mark icons have red x's?

Hi all

Wow, Lee, seems you covered it pretty thoroughly.

For me, the simple answer I would suggest would be to simply click Tools > Options > Associations tab and ensuring that the Use Default Editor option is enabled as shown below:

Click image for possibly larger view.

tmp1.PNG

Using this option will ensure that double-clicking to edit any HTML page simply opens it in the RoboHelp HTML editor.

While the other options are nice to know about, the folks that find themselves confused by the behavior and are asking here about it likely want the files to open this way anyway. Those power users that wish to have other editors likely already know about the configuration.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcererStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks