11 Replies Latest reply on Jul 7, 2007 10:03 AM by AFJ786

default image viewer

AFJ786
      how do i make fireworks my default image viewer?
        • 1. Re: default image viewer
          Level 7
          Windows or Mac ?

AFJ786 wrote:
          > how do i make fireworks my default image viewer?
          • 2. Re: default image viewer
            AFJ786 Level 1
            windows
            • 3. Re: default image viewer
              Level 7
              During install it should have asked you to associate file types with
              Fireworks. If you didn't or if you did and it still did not work, you
              can go to Explore > Tools > Types and associate the file type with FW
              CS3. If changing the association here does not work (not unusual), I
              found that deleting the file type and recreating does the trick.

alex

AFJ786 wrote:
              > windows
              • 4. Re: default image viewer
                AFJ786 Level 1
                quote:

Explore > Tools > Types and associate the file type with FW

where can I find Explore?
                • 5. Re: default image viewer
                  Level 7
                  Right click the Start button > Explore
                  Keyboard shortcut: window+e

alex

AFJ786 wrote:
                  >
                  quote:

> where can I find Explore?
                  • 6. Re: default image viewer
                    Level 7
                    It can be tricky as some applications don't seem to want to let go of
                    the file type and association (Nero springs to mind).

Sometimes in Folder > Tools > Folder Options > File Types > select the
                    file type (good practice suggests making notes or screen captures of the
                    settings already there) > Restore.

This the leads to Advanced options in which the application and
                    associated icon can be changed as the Restore button is now an Advanced
                    button.

nb: It can be tricky

Alex Mariño wrote:
                    > Right click the Start button > Explore
                    > Keyboard shortcut: window+e
                    >
                    > alex
                    >
                    > AFJ786 wrote:
                    >>
                    quote:

>> where can I find Explore?
                    • 7. Re: default image viewer
                      AFJ786 Level 1
                      i see what you mean by it can be tricky! I removed firefox and downloaded it again, this time making it the default image viewer of all image files, but even after that, my images wouldnt open in firefox! I think it works though when I right click on the picture> Open With > Choose Program and then select firefox, and also check, Always use the selected program to open this kind of file.
                      • 8. Re: default image viewer
                        Level 7
                        The first positive thought that springs to mind is that once you are
                        skilled with the various ways of associating an application (there are
                        also ways to associated icons as well) it really tends to be a skill
                        that remains with you.

What application is keeping the links and preventing Fireworks from
                        being associated?

AFJ786 wrote:
                        > i see what you mean by it can be tricky! I removed firefox and downloaded it
                        > again, this time making it the default image viewer of all image files, but
                        > even after that, my images wouldnt open in firefox! I think it works though
                        > when I right click on the picture> Open With > Choose Program and then select
                        > firefox, and also check, Always use the selected program to open this kind of
                        > file.
                        >
                        • 9. Re: default image viewer
                          AFJ786 Level 1
                          quote:

What application is keeping the links and preventing Fireworks from being associated?

Its an application that came with my computer and was automatically set as the default image viewer for JPEG images. The name is Quick Time Picture Viewer 2.0.4.55. This application has been giving me problems, like freezing my computer when opening this application, and I am trying to remove it, but I cant seem to find it in the Add or Remove Programs.

Any help is appreciated!
                          • 10. Re: default image viewer
                            Level 7
                            It's probably better to remove the file type association in QuickTime
                            (or QuickTime Pro(?)).

Try:

1 - start QuickTime

2 - Edit > Preferences > QuickTime Preferences > File Types > expand
                            Images option in the tree structure > remove the tick next to images as
                            you wish.

It seems an old version of QT?

AFJ786 wrote:
                            >
                            quote:

What application is keeping the links and preventing Fireworks from being
                            > associated?

> Its an application that came with my computer and was automatically set as the
                            > default image viewer for JPEG images. The name is Quick Time Picture Viewer
                            > 2.0.4.55. This application has been giving me problems, like freezing my
                            > computer when opening this application, and I am trying to remove it, but I
                            > cant seem to find it in the Add or Remove Programs.
                            >
                            > Any help is appreciated!
                            >
                            • 11. Re: default image viewer
                              AFJ786 Level 1
                              thanks!! That works!!