12 Replies Latest reply on Jan 6, 2011 8:20 PM by 101_

Very anomalous Photoshop anomaly!

101_ Level 1

Several people have incorrectly attempted to explain the Photoshop  anomaly shown below as a regular "orb," an "accidental application of  the brush," "background noise," etc.  Everybody's missing the mark,  simply because they're not addressing the very specific nature of the  anomaly in question.

So... I'm approaching my private little investigation with a different strategy this time; it goes like this:

-  PLEASE LOOK AT THE PHOTOSHOP IMAGE SHOWN BELOW.  IT HAPPENED  ACCIDENTALLY, WHILE A CAMERA-RAW FILE GOT SAVED AS A TIFF.  AFTER THAT,  IT LAID INVISIBLE TO THE EYE AND SHOWED UP WHEN A 12x EXPOSURE INCREASE  WAS APPLIED TO THE AREA CONTAINING THE OBJECT.

- CAN YOU  RECREATE THIS IMAGE, OR AN IMAGE VERY SIMILAR TO THIS ONE (WITHOUT  COPYING AND PASTING)?  IF SO, CAN YOU SHOW YOUR VERSION OF IT HERE, WITH  ADEQUATE LEVEL OF DETAIL, AND SAY HOW YOU DID IT?  Please don't show  just any smudgy, bright, round thing, that won't do.

Thank you,

Juan

0bject-1.jpg

• 1. Re: Very anomalous Photoshop anomaly!
          Jeff Schewe Level 5

JuanSTL wrote:

IT LAID INVISIBLE TO THE EYE AND SHOWED UP WHEN A 12x EXPOSURE INCREASE  WAS APPLIED TO THE AREA CONTAINING THE OBJECT.

Uh huh...the original scene was at night and you applied a 12X Exposure increase? It's prolly a star (or maybe a planet) in the sky that was so low an exposure you couldn't see it until you ramped of the exposure 12X...(which is a lot you know)

Heck, just clone the thing out and move on...

• 2. Re: Very anomalous Photoshop anomaly!
            Vit Novak Level 3

Can you give us some more info?

Was this a kind of ordinary scene, or something special?

Did you move some sliders in ACR to extreme positions, or you used some auto option and the corresponding slider went crazy, or something like that ?

Was the picture (almost) black in ACR before saving, or it became (almost) black in ACR after saving, or it was still normal in ACR, but saved tiff was (almost) black?

I don't believe it's a star, unless the lens mounted on the camera was something like a Hubble telescope

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Very anomalous Photoshop anomaly!
              101_ Level 1

Thanks for your interest!

I'm attaching two JPGs here, below:

- The first is a "straight" JPG of the original RAW, with no modifications whatsoever to the original image.  You can left-click on and save this JPG, to open it in Photoshop.  Feel for the lightness values of the black sky on the upper-left area; they are -0- all around (0-R, 0-G and 0-B).

- The anomalous object appeared only once, during the first camera-RAW-to-TIFF conversion.  (Later similar conversions of the original RAW did not produce the anomaly).

- The second JPG below is a JPG of the TIFF, showing the anomaly.  These are the steps I followed when the anomaly appeared:

- Opened up the RAW file in Photoshop, did not change values in the pre-screen area;

- Immediately saved the RAW as TIFF, at 300 DPI and 52 MB;

- Rotated the image;

- Made a copy layer to work on and erased the base layer;

- Straightened the vertical lines with Perspective;

- Erased the moon;

- Selected all the black-sky area above Macy's roof;

- Only to that selection, applied a 12x exposure increase; at that point all the artifacts seen on this second image showed up, including the "anomalous object;"

- Later attempts to recreate the object fail; try for yourself to see what happens; you'll get the gray, white, cyan and blue squares and noise over Macy's roof, but never the mysterious object.

_MG_0012_copy.jpg

_MG_0012-1.jpg

• 4. Re: Very anomalous Photoshop anomaly!
                Vit Novak Level 3

Well, I was just curious about this. I suppose someone from Adobe will be more interested to check whether this is a bug or something actually recorded on the raw. So if I understand what you did, you converted raw to tiff without or with minimal adjustments in ACR and the 'object' appeared later, when you were working with layers in PS

I checked the first jpeg and it really has totaly black sky, so the mentioned object can't show up no matter what you do with that jpg. However, in the raw, level of the pixels on the sky area isn't zero. Maybe only digital noise is recorded there, maybe something else is also recorded, like very dark flare of some spot light (it is possible for that scene), that shown up the first time you tweaked the image in PS but didn't the second time for some reason. Are you sure you used exactly the same procedure for saving/opening? saved as 8 bit or 16 bit? Saved to tiff, closed the ACR, opened the tiff in PS, or opened directly to PS from ACR ? Etc

Is it possible for you to provide the raw file? You can use some of servers like www.sendspace.com, www.megaupload.com etc

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Very anomalous Photoshop anomaly!
                  Noel Carboni Level 7

A really obvious observation:  It appears the moon is in the sky in the JPEG, but it's not there in the overly stretched version.

So it's pretty clear someone's been painting up there...  And you call my theory that you or someone accidentally or on purpose clicked a brush (e.g., the correction brush in Camera Raw) up there an "incorrect explanation"?

-Noel

• 6. Re: Very anomalous Photoshop anomaly!
                    101_ Level 1

Hey Vit,

- Here's the RAW file:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=0B0I4L3A

- And for the TIFF with the object, please go to:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=36FHN7NE

I worked the TIFF at 8 bits and ProPhoto RGB.

Thank you,

Juan

• 7. Re: Very anomalous Photoshop anomaly!
                      Vit Novak Level 3

Hi, Juan

I checked the raw and it doesn't seem to be a flare or something similar in the sky area. Only more or less uniform noise is recorded,

and several spots that could be stars or bad pixels.So I have no idea what was the cause for this effect.

However, I noted that image was made using CS3, so maybe something was different in that version than in CS5 I have on this computer

• 8. Re: Very anomalous Photoshop anomaly!
                        101_ Level 1

I most definitely concur with your assessment, Vit.  I don't know what this object is, either.

In my time I've seen all kinds of banding, noise, erroneous misapplied or accidental brush effects, artifacts, even "imported" artifacts... but the shape, configuration, colors (white, gray and black) and nature of this object... after the dozens of people I've consulted about it (including an Adobe engineer)... my present conclusion on this matter is: I've encountered an U.E.O. (Unidentified Electronic Object).

I like "I don't know," because it leaves the door open for a truly accurate explanation to show up in the future.

Thanks for your time!

• 9. Re: Very anomalous Photoshop anomaly!
                          Noel Carboni Level 7

Why are you ignoring the obvious questions?

The moon is missing, not to mention the hot pixels.  Who was painting or doing sky replacement up there, and how?

And could they/you not have accidentally brushed dark gray or gotten the "anomaly" from somewhere else before you stretched the image levels radically?

When you work with 8 bit data, then stretch levels as much as you did, you can expect strange results, such as posterization interacting with huge changes in exposure.

Speaking of which, you should work in 16 bits/channel.  You'd get better results.

I'd bet real money that you or whomever was editing the image accidentally caused this problem simply by misplacing a mouse click or pen operation on a tablet.  I've reproduced results that look enough like it to satisfy myself on that score.

-Noel

• 10. Re: Very anomalous Photoshop anomaly!
                            101_ Level 1

You're quite an annoying individual, Noel.  Had you would only R-E-A-D above, copy & paste below:

- The second JPG below is a JPG of the TIFF, showing the anomaly.  These are the steps I followed when the anomaly appeared:

- Opened up the RAW file in Photoshop, did not change values in the pre-screen area;

- Immediately saved the RAW as TIFF, at 300 DPI and 52 MB;

- Rotated the image;

- Made a copy layer to work on and erased the base layer;

- Straightened the vertical lines with Perspective;

- Erased the moon;

- Selected all the black-sky area above Macy's roof;

-  Only to that selection, applied a 12x exposure increase; at that point  all the artifacts seen on this second image showed up, including the  "anomalous object;"

- Later attempts to recreate the object fail;  try for yourself to see what happens; you'll get the gray, white, cyan  and blue squares and noise over Macy's roof, but never the mysterious  object.

The case is solved; we're dealing with an unknown, given our collective level of electronic kowledge.

You, can go ahead an believe that the object is... whatever you want to believe, whatever soothes your conformist, underdevelopped intellect.

• 11. Re: Very anomalous Photoshop anomaly!
                              Noel Carboni Level 7

"Erased the moon"...  How, exactly?

Call me whatever you want, but from where I sit you accidentally painted a blob in your image and are trying to make it into some kind of phenomenon.  It happens.  Just the other day I entered a discussion on an astronomy forum in which that EXACT thing explained a new "object" they thought they had discovered.

Occam's razor says the simplest explanation is usually the right one.

Your original premise was "how did this happen?"  It appears I'm the only one who's offered a plausible explanation so far.  And you call that "annoying".  What's your agenda here?

Or maybe your computer is full of malware and someone who was watching what you were doing and waiting to take control of your UI accidentally clicked up there, while otherwise waiting patiently for you to leave so they could steal your financial info.

Or perhaps it could be aliens sending secret messages using circular encoding.  Related to crop circles?  Who can say.

-Noel

• 12. Re: Very anomalous Photoshop anomaly!
                                101_ Level 1

I'm hereby elevating you from my previous assessment, of being an annoying individual, to that of being a fully-dysfunctional, extremely-obtuse, and totally BORING a__hole.

Congratulations!

PS: Do you get paid for pestering people in these blogs?  You sure post a lot, and you're everywhere!