7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 5, 2011 6:38 AM by dkmiles

Very tricky key

dkmiles Level 1

I have a very difficult key I'm trying to do with Keylight -- a performer in with bright blond very curly hair style. I've been trying a variety of settings in keylight for several hours and cannot seem to get a clean key either without the hair ringing or cutting the matte so tight that I loose most of the curls. I've been looking for a tutorial that might address this kind of problem, but the ones I've found all seem to have performers with nice hard edged black hair.

Cyndi.jpg

Does anyone have any tips on how to address this kind of key or a suggestion of a tutorial that could help? Many thanks in advance!

• 1. Re: Very tricky key
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Break it into pieces. Deal with the hair separately.

Check out Mark Christiansen's three-pass method:

http://www.peachpit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=1252172

There are some other resources on this page that might be helpful:

"Keying overview and resources"

If worse comes to worst, check out this Scott Squires article about rotoscoping hair:

http://postandvfxskills.com/rotoscoping-hair/

And, finally, have a chat with the folks responsible for shooting this about how their hair and shooting decisions have made life difficult for you. It may help for next time.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Very tricky key
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

And, finally, have a chat with the folks responsible for shooting this about how their hair and shooting decisions have made life difficult for you. It may help for next time.

Agree! A simple orange/red/purple  rim-light would have increased edge contrast considerably and can be dialled back to clean blond without too much trouble and doesn't skew the skin tones beyond recognition, either.

Mylenium

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Very tricky key
              dkmiles Level 1

Many thanks for the tips guys! Yes, no doubt a little pre-production planning could have helped this immensely.

Happy New Year!

• 4. Re: Very tricky key
                Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Sorry it took me so long to answer this post. Hollidays.

For future reference blonds usually key better against blue.

That said, Don't try and pull this off with a single layer. Duplicate your footage about 3 times. pull a key for just the hair on the top layer, make an intermediate key for the second layer bringing in more of the details of the hair, then on the third layer pull a key that cleanly cuts out the rest of the actor.

Once you have each of these keys pulled set Keylight to display combined matte, then screen the top and second layer over the bottom layer. Now pre-compose these 3 layers and use them as a track matte for the original footage. This will give you much greater control over the edges.

As a final step you can apply keylight one last time but this time you will only use Keyight to despill the track matte.

If you can post a full rez still I'll throw together a CS5 project file to show you how I'd do it.

• 5. Re: Very tricky key
                  dkmiles Level 1

Hey Rick -- surprisingly they pulled a key in the Avid which the client deemed acceptable. So I stood down on this.

However, I would be most interested in learning and understanding the technique you describe for future reference. So I'd be very grateful if you are willing to take the time to set up the demo in AEP CS5.

You can grab the full rez still here...

http://www.c4miles.tv/CB/Cyndi_still.psd

Many thanks!!!

• 6. Re: Very tricky key
                    Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You'll find a CS5 project file here.

I chose a background image with some strong contrast and lighting. As I stated in the previous post the matte was generated with 3 copies of the original footage using the combined matte screened over a black solid. This matte was also used to generate a simple light wrap matte that was placed above a blurred copy of the background layer. I hope this gives you some ideas. Without actually having the footage and knowing what background you're using it's hard to get it perfect.

Also please note the use of a garbage matte to make the keying a bit easier. This screen shot has PAR correction turned off.

cindy.png

• 7. Re: Very tricky key
                      dkmiles Level 1

Many thanks for doing this and sharing your expertise Rick!!!

This is going to be very helpful in the future.